2008 Hay Shed Pay Back

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Have you looked at justifying another hay shed after the recent increase in hay prices??? What percent of the hay did you think would be saved by being under a cover?

I have always heard about saving 20 to 30% of the food value with a shed - - which is obviously more dollars if your hay doubles in price.

Steve, I think putting rounds under cover is going to become "the way to do it"
Spoilage varies so much, when it's stored outside. How it's stacked, and where. For instance the area should have good drainage, on sand. If a bale is in water even a few minutes it acts almost like a sponge.
Thats why I like to buy the big square by the ton. Always stored undercover and 100% usable. Last year you probably noticed very little spoilage in the outside hay. Little rain, dry air and dry ground. I believe this year will be different. How's the pastures and hay looking?

if you can afford a hay shed id build 1.as said you can save 20% of your hay.the best savings will come being able to store hay for years in a barn.i know some round bales thats been in the barn 4 or 5yrs.an it still looks real good.the payback will take 10yrs or so depending on the cost of the barn.

I just came from a "Hay Day" sponsered by UT Ag. Extension. They told us you loose 30% of your hay sitting out in the open. 19% in the rap/webbing out in the open, 14% on palates or tires covered by a tarp, 12% on geotextile and rock base with a tarp covering, and 5% in a barn or hay shed. The numbers they gave us reflected that it is very costly if you don't build a hay shed. The state of TN will cost share up to $3500.00 on a hay shed to there specs. if you qualify.

They changed it to $1200.00 max this year if your a MBP. They changed some things this year. Wendy also said purchases could made in July BEFORE approval but didn't advise it unless you needed an item anyway and cost share money is not the only reason your buying it. But July receipts will be honored.

Stocker Steve, does your state have a cost share program? If so you may get financial help if you meet the qualifcations. I have used lots of cost share money since April of last year and am VERY, VERY thankful for it. I was able to get three automatic waterers, electric cross fencing w/ a top of the line shocker, seeding, fertilizer, lyme, hay saver hay rings, squeeze chute, ally way and sweap. Most paid at 85% and 75% and the least at 50%. I am applying for this years programs also!

TNMasterBeefProducer":2nj9zulv said:
I sold a bull back in february. It was a yearling bull 15 months old, great epd's homozygous black, polled, big scrotal etc. for 1,500.00 then I went and purchased an even better bull than that for 3,500.00 and then got 1,000 dollars back from the state. So if you think about it I really only paid 1,000 dollars for my new bull. THat is a bargain considering he is top 1% ww top 1% yw, top 1% carcass weight, top 5% maternal weaning weight, top 5% ribeye area, top 10% marbling in the breed.

You forgot about the depreciation allowance, so you probably could say he didn't cost you anything. :clap: :???:

green side up :!:

We had a cool dry late spring. USDA showed us as yellow - - "abnormally dry." I sold a little hay to get four of the neighbors through May because there was no grass, nor hay to be had, unless you paid $140/ton to a trucker. The recent rains have helped a bunch and we will have a first crop, but it will be below average in yield.

I had hay in a shed, under a tarp, and in the open last year. I believe the 19-5=14% savings for a one year deal... Have you seen an calculations on estimating the # of rolls or tons on hay under a 14' high shed?

How many tons or rolls would be determined by the size and weight of your rolls. It's best to contact someone maybe an Ag. Extension officer to see if they have a set of scales that can be brought to your house so you can weigh a couple of your bales. As far as size you can always measure them. You will also have to have electricity at the location your bales are at now. My county offers this service and I have someone coming in the morning to weigh this years rounds for me. This helps me to determine tonage per acre harvested.

Have you seen an calculations on estimating the # of rolls or tons on hay under a 14' high shed?

I can get 205 5 1/2 X 5 ft. rolls that weigh 1100 lbs. under a 40 X 60 shed.

Taking Welfare from the state is not what it is called. It's called cost shares. It is a program designed to HELP farms with needed genetics, equiptment, sheds, etc. You have to be a real farmer with a premius I.D., sales tax number, a certain # head of cattle. Farmers have always be on the low end of profit or help of any kind. If they are willing to give it I am willing to except it. It gives people an opportunity to purchase things to advance there business that them otherwise could not afford.

MikeC":cqnldwz9 said:
Have you seen an calculations on estimating the # of rolls or tons on hay under a 14' high shed?

I can get 205 5 1/2 X 5 ft. rolls that weigh 1100 lbs. under a 40 X 60 shed.

we put up this shed about 5 yrs. ago. will hold about 268 rolls (1000 lb ea.) stacked three high. 7 on bottom, 6 on second row and 5 on top row. we could go higher with a bigger tractor and a lot more nerve :shock:
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/pr ... 00R4G.html

ROB

ROB":3beppbsc said:
we put up this shed about 5 yrs. ago. will hold about 268 rolls (1000 lb ea.) stacked three high. 7 on bottom, 6 on second row and 5 on top row. we could go higher with a bigger tractor and a lot more nerve :shock:
ROB

When you got all done with the pony wall and the other cost adders - - did you think it was a better value than the traditional 14' high pole building?

Stocker Steve":1u65yuqi said:
ROB":1u65yuqi said:
ROB

When you got all done with the pony wall and the other cost adders - - did you think it was a better value than the traditional 14' high pole building?

SS- yes i do. the pony wall wasn't much expense- we used 4X4's set in concrete on 8' ctrs., a few 2x nailers and installed building metal horizontally. the main reason that i like it better is that you are covered top and sides- not much hay is exposed to the elements- just on the ends. also, it is much easier to load and unload the hay not having to work around support posts.

ROB

Understand that contact with soil is not desired on hay. What is everyone doing on the floor of your hay shed. Is it dirt, gravel, concrete, something else? I was talking to one person about a machine shed they built, and 1/2 the cost was the concrete.

jcummins":1rtvgku5 said:
Understand that contact with soil is not desired on hay. What is everyone doing on the floor of your hay shed. Is it dirt, gravel, concrete, something else? I was talking to one person about a machine shed they built, and 1/2 the cost was the concrete.

Barns are old enough that they have 4-8 in of loose hay on the ground. As long as the roof doesn't leak or water running thru it I won't have any loss.

Latest posts