2 yo heifer, what do you think?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd like to see her after she's calved on summer grasses. That will help him get a better idea of what she "could" do. It may just be a case of not enough grass in front of her. This time of year here is the hardest on the cows. That also makes it a goo time of year to see what they're capable of

I've decided to bite the bullet and sell off these 2 heifers as well as the little calf. I may also sell off a couple of my younger angus heifers as well, we'll see. All in order to bite a bigger bullet on the purchase of 4-5 purebred registerable Shorthorn yearling heifers. That'll give this great bull something better to work with this summer. Should be a good cross for calves too.

It was either buy PB Angus, PB Hereford or PB Shorthorns... Couldn't find affordable pb brangus heifers (1-1.2k). Decided I really wanted to crossbreed and the SHs just seemed more interesting. Hope to post pics after buying them in a couple weeks.

brihop":t6ls85ns said:
I've decided to bite the bullet and sell off these 2 heifers as well as the little calf. I may also sell off a couple of my younger angus heifers as well, we'll see. All in order to bite a bigger bullet on the purchase of 4-5 purebred registerable Shorthorn yearling heifers. That'll give this great bull something better to work with this summer. Should be a good cross for calves too.

It was either buy PB Angus, PB Hereford or PB Shorthorns... Couldn't find affordable pb brangus heifers (1-1.2k). Decided I really wanted to crossbreed and the SHs just seemed more interesting. Hope to post pics after buying them in a couple weeks.

Be careful with that Shorthorn, it is hard to knock the chrome off a Shorthorn or Longhorn no matter the bull you can end up with some wild color's. I gambled on a 1/2 SH/Herf cross heifer. Neighbor get's hammered at the salebarn with his Shorthorn's he make's it up and then some in the show calf market.

Thanks for the heads up CB, but yeah, I know they might throw some "off" colors... but I won't mind some off color calves as long as they're top quality. and yes, I'll probably try to time breeding right for the show market. BTW, heres another pic of that Brahmanx:

From the last picture you posted that heifer now looks Red Brahman/Jersey to me. And your price is WAY low. She is worth at least 1000 around here.....

The show game is a big money game to play.
When you start talking S/H if your cow's are not costing several grand and up it is real hard to play.
This is about cow's on magizine cover's that drop calves.

brihop":i3guh6k2 said:
http://ocala.craigslist.org/grd/3768989898.html

My prices reasonable?
"cow for $750, as pair for $950.
Angus X LH calf for $275".
Reasonable?
Yes, providing the buyer is looking for these type crosses, but A first calf heifer for $750 that has already proven she can deliver a LIVE calf. What's not to like about that for $750?

"One heavy bred mostly Brahman heifer (about 3/4), 2.5 years old, in good condition, (to Reg. Blk Angus bull, on-site). Sells now for $785, price goes up by $200 when calf hits ground."
Same thing.

Not my type X (taking nothing away from that good looking bull) but you shouldn't have much problem getting your asking price. You may be leaving some $$ on the table depending what kind of calf the heifer has.

Those are good prices for someone buying just to speculate. A person could buy them, haul them to the next sale and turn a profit.

What do you think the price difference at the sale would be between selling the heifer now as heavy bred or in a month or so as pair? (providing calving goes well)

brihop":201huuot said:
What do you think the price difference at the sale would be between selling the heifer now as heavy bred or in a month or so as pair? (providing calving goes well)
Well, let her calve, and breed her back as soon as she will stand. I read an ad in one of the cattle sites today, -- Brangus-- bred 4 months with calf at side for $1650. He'll probably get his price.

backhoeboogie":33kohmw1 said:
Those are good prices for someone buying just to speculate. A person could buy them, haul them to the next sale and turn a profit.

Not getting any bites- they go to the sale barn by July 4.

Caustic Burno":1pdruf2y said:
brihop":1pdruf2y said:

Be careful with that Shorthorn, it is hard to knock the chrome off a Shorthorn or Longhorn no matter the bull you can end up with some wild color's. I gambled on a 1/2 SH/Herf cross heifer. Neighbor get's hammered at the salebarn with his Shorthorn's he make's it up and then some in the show calf market.

I've decided against the shorthorns, going after PB Beefmaster weanling heifers, will pick the ones with the least amount of odd white markings. Will have to wait longer til calves hit ground & to see return on dollar, but will be better investment in long run & just the right amount of brahman blood in the mix.

Latest posts