2 Naval Aviators lost in Lemoore, CA

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbillycwo

Reaction score
Just found out this morning when I got to work that 2 Naval officers flying the F/A-18F fighter aircraft lost power and flew the aircraft into a field to their deaths. Neither Officer ejected. News reports indicate the aircraft lost power and the pilot put the aircraft nose up and banked left but was unable to restart the engines. Typically when they do not eject it is because they are over populated areas but I do not know at this point if that was the case in this situation or not. Maybe some of you folks in that area may know but it has been 20 years since I was stationed there. Below is an email I sent to friends of mine in the service who are stationed out there. Please keep the squadron VFA-122, their families and all service members in your prayers. This is always a tough thing for us as military members to loose one of our own in a training mission.

"We all bear a portion of responsibility. Because of our love of Freedom if for no other reason. We put those fellows in harm's way each and every real world or training mission. They give up their Freedom to perform those missions for those of us unwilling to take the risk or unable. They do it with pride and commitment. They don't have the luxury of disagreeing publicly with policy changes or rule changes or any decision that places undue risk upon their persons or their very lives. Each day their spouses and children say their goodbyes and send their beloved service member to work they do so with the underlying risk they will see an Officer and a Chaplain notifying them of their loved ones loss in a training or combat mission.

What is so bewildering to me is that all any of those true Warriors who have stood in the arena with their faces marred from the strain or streaked with sweat from their efforts or stained with their blood have ever asked for their sacrifice and the sacrifice of their families is a simple thank you.

With a heavy heart for those lost in this latest training flight and all those who have lost their lives or have suffered injury for Freedom's cause I simply say thank you. I am truly blessed to live in a Nation of the Free and the BRAVE. Nothing I could say beyond those words can express the gratitude in my heart for what they have done, are doing and will continue to do long after I take my uniform off."

I have not talked to my buddy yet but he sent out a message yesterday that is happened in the middle of a tomato field they were planting.

I feel the loss.
There must have been a compelling reason to ride it down.
Bless them and their familys.

Can you still guide and maneuver a fighter that has no power?? Just asking. Can't imagine why at least one didn't get out. Maybe just not enough time. We have the best military in the world. Always hurts to lose any of them.

Definitely a tragic event! :(

As a licensed private pilot, my comments: First, witness reported to have said the plane nosed up and banked...this ultimately will cause a stall unless power is applied. Nose up, bank, no power will slow a plane down rapidly below minimum controllable airspeed. Second, pilot may not have had enough altitude to eject safely. Third, over a agricultural field, a pilot's first gut level feeling is that "I can land this here..." Fourth, a fighter plane will glide...but not very well...the big engine compensates for short wings. Fifth, when a plane loses power and doesn't re-start, the first thing to do is to level wings and put nose down to achieve VMC + and second to rapidly search for a spot to (crash) land and walk away from it.

I grew up about a quarter mile from the eastern boundry to NAS Lemoore. The Western side of the base is nothing but scrub and field crops with almost no inhabitants. They would fly just barely off the ground until they hit the base boundary and then nearly vertical until the hit a certain alttitude and then level off again. As low and fast as I remember watching them fly, there's no way they could get themselves out of trouble if anything happened. The whole point was to push themselves and their aircraft to the limit.
Seems like every year we lose two or three ex-navy pilots in crop dusting accidents around here. They just can't resist the temptation to fly UNDER the power lines.

cow pollinater":36y7iepl said:
I grew up about a quarter mile from the eastern boundry to NAS Lemoore. The Western side of the base is nothing but scrub and field crops with almost no inhabitants. They would fly just barely off the ground until they hit the base boundary and then nearly vertical until the hit a certain alttitude and then level off again. As low and fast as I remember watching them fly, there's no way they could get themselves out of trouble if anything happened. The whole point was to push themselves and their aircraft to the limit.
Seems like every year we lose two or three ex-navy pilots in crop dusting accidents around here. They just can't resist the temptation to fly UNDER the power lines.

Good points!

Flying low & slow 150 mph ++ on observation ? flights would preclude ejecting. Also, hitting the ground for emergency landing at +++VMC speed would probably cause the aircraft to burrow in ground or flip. Another issue...don't know anything about jets, but I imagine a possibility that hydraulics for rudder, elevator, and aerolons (sp) might be inoperative, precluding any serious emergency landing techniques.

I am home from the middle east - and recovering from a small incident around 8 days ago right here in Canada - drat - make it through more than two years overseas and get slammed at home - go figure.

Back to the sandbox in about 8-10 weeks God willing. Last mission before I pull the pin for good - it is exciting and a bit addicting - but at 56 it is tough to keep up to the kids - all younger, faster, stronger and smarter than me.

But I digress ......

I have nearly 2000 flight hours on Hornets - albeit none on the Super Hornet.

The Super H has a zero zero ejection seat capability - requires no airspeed and no altitude for a pilot to safely eject.

I figure the speculation here on flight characteristics of the Hornet, and pilot/aircrew reaction is a bit off base.

Guarantee there is more to the story and it may / may not be made public after the investigation.

The Hornet glides like a concrete block with no engine power. I know - several friends and students of mine (I instructed on them for 4 years) have left them on the ground - some from very low altitudes and low airspeeds. As low and possibly lower and slower than that of the aircraft under discussion.

Here is an example - Canadian Hornet - pilot gets three swings in the chute before the aircraft hits the ground - I figure he was about 4 aircraft lengths above the ground and under 100 knots when he jumped - have not seen the investigation report - but I would bet a good restaurant meal I am darned close in my guess.

It is a high alpha pass - very slow and very low - you will know exactly when the engine fails by seeing the aircraft starting to swing and the nose drops. He jumps with around 90 degrees of bang, a downward velocity vector and speed probably under 100 knots.

Note the music playing in the background - this was not a "dub-in" - it was the music being played at the airshow at the time - quite appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfiCyVKnSSw

Boozer - the pilot - was a very lucky man.

Heart goes out to the families and I salute the aircrew who gave their lives in the service of their country.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Best to all - now I will scoot back to anonymity

(Bez)

Latest posts