2,624 year old tree

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Scientists have recently documented stand of bald cypress trees in North Carolina that is almost 2,624 years old. As scientists reported, it is the oldest known living trees in eastern North America and the oldest known wetland tree species in the world.

https://www.techexplorist.com/scientists-documented-2624-year-old-tree-north-carolina/23076/

bald_cypress_trees.jpg.990x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

That's pretty cool. A few years ago.I was on a fire not too far from there and the area had never been claimed by anyone until the 1970's and the county took it over as a wildlife refuge. Mostly swamp and the early settlers seen no use to owing it.

I was talking to a geologist friend and he was telling me of an interesting fact from my area. I live in south western Australia and there is no tree older than 600 years. Scientists have no idea why as the species here live much longer. One theory is a catastrophic fire levelled everything at that time but it would have had to be a big big hot fire!

I fell trees that were up in that age range. Never counted the rings but I have seen big old butt cuts where they counted the rings and marked historical dates. Some dating back into BC years. I fell trees of the same species that were bigger so one can assume.

Loggin that swamp there would be a nasty job, probably need a 9 feet bar, and a big tug boat for a skidder.. lol

jltrent said:
Loggin that swamp there would be a nasty job, probably need a 9 feet bar, and a big tug boat for a skidder.. lol

Not into swamp logging. But how big are these trees on the stump that you need a 9 foot bar?

Latest posts