1997 Powerstroke

Help Support CattleToday:

longhorn314

Reaction score
I have a 1997 7.3 powerstroke that I have had for about 3 1/2 years.I never drive it a whole lot or except when I'm pulling something.It started it last winter and it is really bad this winter about starting ,if I don't plug it in.When I plug it in it cranks just fine,but if I dont plug it in,I have spent about 15 to 20 minutes to get the truck to start up before.I had a 1994 ford diesel before this one and never had any problems out of it in the winter .Anybody have any ideas if there could be a problem with something?It just has 118,00 miles on it?

Glow plug relay. It sets mid way back over the left valve cover as you are on your step ladder looking into the engine. Remove the black cover that covers your fuel filter and stuff. It will look like a starter solenoid relay. You may be able to get one at a regular parts store to match. If you have to go to Ford it is about double or triple because they call it a glow plug relay.

You can check it with a meter also if you understand how a starter solenoid works.

Hope this helps.

Had the same problem with my '95 and that was in FL winters. Finally had it checked at Ford and they said it was a "glow plug sensor" which my be the same as the relay that Flaboy was talking about. They replaced it and haven't had a problem since. Even started on that morning that it was 2 degrees without hesitation.

Chris

Thanks for the replys.I will try and get that checked then and see if that may solve it because here in mid tennessee it hasn't been to awful cold for it not to crank.

Sounds like plugs, not to bad if you do it yourself, probily with one guy take you couple hours, rather then dump $500 at Ford for them to do it. Go to Autozone or IH and get the IH plugs, DONT get the Autolite plugs, as they are prone to have the heating element break off in the head, and then it gets fun :lol: While your at it, yeah replace the Glow Plug Relay, NAPA like $15 or somthing like that, it is probily your problem because its not kicking on your plugs. Have somebody jump in your truck while your looking at the engine and turn the key on, you should here the relay "click", if no click you got your solution. I just suggested the plugs because then you have a fresh system to not worry about ;-)

you need some New Glow plugs we have a 96 Model and the Glow plugs are shot in it as well. i think there like 400 Bucks or something for new ones. if you plug it in it will allways start if you dont and its alittle cold at all you better have a can of Ether.

RedAngus121":2uea9250 said:
you need some New Glow plugs we have a 96 Model and the Glow plugs are shot in it as well. i think there like 400 Bucks or something for new ones. if you plug it in it will allways start if you dont and its alittle cold at all you better have a can of Ether.

I can see 400 bucks at the Stealership w/ labor, but at about 12-14 bucks a piece at the International dealer I am thinking a $100 for all 8. All depends on if you have time or not, it really isnt that hard to do, the back bolts on the valve covers are kind of a pain in the arse but w/ a wobbley socket its easy. I would do the relay as well though.

Oh, by the way, the part # for the plugs at IH is: 1820697C2

I would NOT put either in an engine with glow plugs you will probably get more bang than you wanted for your buck. As in pistons and valves and all kinds of expensive parts. I would go with the glowplug relay first I work at a school system that has around 90 of these beasts around and they all except for a 2 or 3 have had glow plug relays replaced some more than once they are all the Ford,Navistar engines So I have a little expierence with no starts they absolutley spin forever without fireing a lick. In a pinch you can have someone jump it with a heavy screw driver like an old starter relay but the cost of relay is cheaper than electrical fires. dont do it to many times is all and melted wires and tools arent that cheap anymore for that matter. :D

Latest posts