18 to party, 21 to drink??? Huh?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Reading some sports media and I learned that some of the southern states (and probably elsewhere) have bars were 18yr olds can get in. What is the set up? If your 18 it's beer only or 18 can get in but not drink? I'm only familiar with western states, 21 yrs old period.

Can't someone take care of my curiosity please? Seems like when I was 18 and going to college on the Oregon Idaho border Idaho had a near beer law for 19 and older. It was just a less a beer with less alcohol then regular beer...... I may be wrong, that law never applied to me or my friends. :lol:

It should be 18 years old everywhere in this country. Old enough to vote, old enough to be sentence to the death penalty, and old enough to die fighting for your country, but you can't drink. Give me a break, more knee jersey laws.

Around here its 18 to get in and 21 to drink. If i remember right if you're 21 you get a wrist band so the bar tender knows who to serve.

When I went to clubs you could get into most of them at 18 but couldn't drink until 21. I started clubbing around 16 thank you fake ID.

Colorado had a strange rule back in the 60's where you could not drink the hard(er) stuff unless you were 21 but could drink 3.2 beer at 18. Also back in the day New York would serve anything at 18 and Connecticut was 21.

In the late 1970's the legal drinking age in Texas was 18, then changed to 21 in the early 1980's, about 2 months before my sister's 21st birthday. So she could legally drink for almost 3 years, then she couldn't for a few weeks, then she could again. The best I remember back then some places would let 18-year-olds in, but they couldn't drink. I assume it's still that way.

I have worked as a bouncer in clubs since 1998.. Since I was doing it its always been 18 to get in and 21 to drink. We put big x's on the hands of the underage crowd and put wrist bands on the arms of the 21+ ... Recently they passed a law few years back where 18 year olds could go into strip clubs but not drink.. It used to be 21+

We just went to dinner a lot when I was underage. There were about three restarants that were open for dinner and then had a nightclub atatched and they started carding at the door when the club opened so all you had to do was go to dinner half an hour before the club opened and you were in. :lol:

SOME 18 year olds are more mature than SOME 35 year olds. It all comes down to responsibility. A person with 7 DWIs doesn't need to own a car.

backhoeboogie":2dwvjnz1 said:
A person with 7 DWIs doesn't need to own a car.

A person with 2 doesn't IMO However, People make mistakes so 1 would be all I would allow if you got 2 and were convicted no license or car forever if it were up to me.

skyhightree1":50f88r7f said:
....... Recently they passed a law few years back where 18 year olds could go into strip clubs but not drink.. It used to be 21+
Me, my brother, and one of my cousins were in Memphis for the Liberty Bowl several years ago. After the game we were going from club to club checking out the scenery. Around midnight we went in a strip club and we each had to buy a watered down drink for $10 to get in. We hadn't been in the joint 3 minutes when the lights came on and they announced closing time.

ga.prime":3flxwx8r said:
skyhightree1":3flxwx8r said:
....... Recently they passed a law few years back where 18 year olds could go into strip clubs but not drink.. It used to be 21+
Me, my brother, and one of my cousins were in Memphis for the Liberty Bowl several years ago. After the game we were going from club to club checking out the scenery. Around midnight we went in a strip club and we each had to buy a watered down drink for $10 to get in. We hadn't been in the joint 3 minutes when the lights came on and they announced closing time.

Yes sir they do the same BS here but you have a minimum of 2 or 3 drinks you have to buy in order to stay there. I never worked for a strip club but went into one a couple of times :mrgreen:

ga.prime":r7bu59t0 said:
skyhightree1":r7bu59t0 said:

Wish I had your timing as it would have spared me some embarrassment. Went to a strip club in Charleston and the fella sitting behind me kept yelling champagne and when the "artist" finished her routine she came into the crowd and grabbed me by the hand and said, "your coming with me aren't you"? Not one to be rude I agreed and she took me by the hand and led me down a hallway and into a den like room with candles and nice comfortable furniture but it did wreak of cheap perfume. She set me down on the sofa and said she'd be right back with the champagne. Now I had just turned 18 and was about as sharp as mashed potatoes but I hadn't seen a woman in several weeks so I was really thinking I was some kind of special to be getting this kind of treatment while my buddies sat in the other room. A few minutes later she came back and said, "you didn't order champagne did you?" Nope I said. To that she told me to get the heck out of there she had got the wrong guy. I agreed with her and scooted my idiot self out of there as quick as I could. I learned later they had some kind of markup on that cheap bottle of champagne but she came with it. And no, I never went back.

Jogeephus":cm0mdi8l said:
ga.prime":cm0mdi8l said:
skyhightree1":cm0mdi8l said:

Wish I had your timing as it would have spared me some embarrassment. Went to a strip club in Charleston and the fella sitting behind me kept yelling champagne and when the "artist" finished her routine she came into the crowd and grabbed me by the hand and said, "your coming with me aren't you"? Not one to be rude I agreed and she took me by the hand and led me down a hallway and into a den like room with candles and nice comfortable furniture but it did wreak of cheap perfume. She set me down on the sofa and said she'd be right back with the champagne. Now I had just turned 18 and was about as sharp as mashed potatoes but I hadn't seen a woman in several weeks so I was really thinking I was some kind of special to be getting this kind of treatment while my buddies sat in the other room. A few minutes later she came back and said, "you didn't order champagne did you?" Nope I said. To that she told me to get the heck out of there she had got the wrong guy. I agreed with her and scooted my idiot self out of there as quick as I could. I learned later they had some kind of markup on that cheap bottle of champagne but she came with it. And no, I never went back.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

It's interesting how individual's cultures are different. When I read the question, I really had no idea how it was in my state. I've never drank alcohol or been around anyone who did. Although I've been in plenty of restaurants with bar areas, I've never been in an establishment in my life that was strictly a bar.

After a bit of Googling, It appears it's 21 here to enter a bar.

backhoeboogie":1gj56kz5 said:
SOME 18 year olds are more mature than SOME 35 year olds. It all comes down to responsibility. A person with 7 DWIs doesn't need to own a car.
Those usually have the mechanism installed in the car that requires to "blow" sober to even crank it then blow it periodically to keep it running.