1100-1200 lb. pure Angus bull

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlepower

Reaction score
Friend of mine has two pure Angus bulls that are in the 1100-1200 lb. range that have been on feed for 3 months. They failed their semen test so they are going for slaughter, they look good and ready. Anyhow, a lady at my work wants to buy half of one and wants to know what she would roughly get in steaks, roasts etc. I just don't have any idea. Anyone have a ballpark idea?

Really hard to say as there are still variables - the size of the cut on the steaks and roasts will largely determine the number she gets, not to mention the actual dress percentage. It won't fit in the fridge freezer, and will take up a good bit of a large freezer. She can also expect to get nearly 1/2 her meat in ground beef, assuming she gets as many steaks and roasts as possible.
Most of the people who buy from us get a steer a year for a family of 4 or 5 and 1/2 a steer a year for couples, and they usually run out a little before the next yrs animals are ready.
I realize it's not numbers, but hope it helps.

Around 500 lbs in the freezer - give or take - if they are good animals. Roast, Steak, Burger etc.

62% of live weigh as hanging weight is about average. Shrinkage for curing.

Does she want the liver, heart etc? Soup bones?

Does it weigh 1100 or 1200? You gave a window. That adds another 50 lb or so window.

backhoeboogie":20cxv6vk said:
Around 500 lbs in the freezer - give or take - if they are good animals. Roast, Steak, Burger etc.

I'm not trying to 'diss' you boogie, but that seems like an awful lot of meat for 1/2 an animal.

When I have had them processed at the 1100 lb range, there was roughly five hundred-some-odd to 600 lb total for the whole animal.....including the organ meats. The last half I sold of an animal that size, the person recieved roughly 260 lb of meat in the form of steaks, roasts, burger,short ribs, etc.

Amounts of roasts, steaks etc. depend upon the size of the steaks and roasts as in 1 inch thick, 4lb roasts etc.

Katherine

Both of the bulls weigh at least 1100 lbs. live weight. So she shoud get around 200-250 lbs. of actual meat for her freezer with 1/2 the animal?

Open mouth, insert foot. (I missed that "half" part). Thanks for getting it right.

The last steer I had processed was 1050 lb live. With mostly bone out processing and no organs there was 440 lb of steaks, roasts and very good hamburger. This filled an empty 15 cu ft chest freezer absolutely full. Then a quarter (split half) was 110 lb and a half 220 lb. Very little bone in these cuts. fwiw. Jim

edit: other useful numbers: a quarter or split half takes a little less than 4 cu ft of freezer space and a half about 7.5 cu ft of freezer space. I tell my customers on a split half they will get approximately 110 lb of beef and it will take 4 cu ft of freezer space so they can plan ahead.

Here is a package count for a similar yearling bull(16mo.) around 1200 lbs grown on 70% roughage. We had more of the lesser cuts put into hamburger. If I recall you could have asked for a few more roasts. The only bones were in the T bones and chucks. Steaks were 1"cut Rib Eyes and T bones 2X package some of the sirloins and top rounds were huge. The roasts were 4 to 5 lbs., we didn't take the specialty meats or the soup bones.@

1# hamburger 216
1.5# hamburger 50
T bones 2X 23.5
Rib Eyes 2X 11
Sirloins 22
Top round stks 10
Tip Steaks 6

4 rump roasts
4 bottom round roasts
4 chuck roasts
2 heel of round roasts

I know a LOT of people on these boards have disagreed with me on this, but I've never really had a bull - even young virgin bull - that could compete with the taste and quality of a steer or heifer.

I agree with SRBEEF you better have the freezer empty. This one ran a big upright over, you can put a lot more in a chest type freezer, but its harder to find what you want.

Yep I'll have to disagree. These young bulls are not finished, I like the leaner taste and the steaks have been super tender, they don't yeild as well. The last one we killed was a late cut steer that had been fed, he is the toughest thing I have ever eaten, but it could just be the Individual. It was also a new kill plant and they only hung him for 6 days. @

AudieWyoming":21bbqz7o said:
I agree with SRBEEF you better have the freezer empty. This one ran a big upright over, you can put a lot more in a chest type freezer, but its harder to find what you want.

Yep I'll have to disagree. These young bulls are not finished, I like the leaner taste and the steaks have been super tender, they don't yeild as well. The last one we killed was a late cut steer that had been fed, he is the toughest thing I have ever eaten, but it could just be the Individual. It was also a new kill plant and they only hung him for 6 days. @

I'm definitely no expert but we have told the processor that they have to be hung for 21 days or we'll use someone else. They told us no problem.

AudieWyoming":rbjfyxhv said:
That's why plastic milk crates were invented

dun":2kddoflv said:
AudieWyoming":2kddoflv said:
That's why plastic milk crates were invented

Those definately help, but the item the boss lady wants is always in the crates on bottom. Generally I bring several packs of steak, roast, and burger out of the chest freezer into the upright frrezer in the kitchen when I am sent. "Move over ice cream"

Here is a cut and paste;
What Can I Expect To Get If I Order A Side?

These are some of the cuts you can expect from a side (half) of beef and the cutting options available. For split-side quarters, divide all quantities in half. We suggest cutting all steaks 1" to 1 ¼" thick. We like 3# roasts. Enough for a nice dinner and leftovers for sandwiches.

Rump/Sirloin tip roasts: Approximately 2 tip roasts, 2 Pikes Peak roasts and 2 rump roasts are on a side of beef. You can have the tip roasts cut into tip steaks.

Chuck section: This is the chuck and shoulder roasts or pot roasts. Approximately 8-10 roasts on a side of beef.

Prime rib section: You can either have this left as prime rib roast or cut into rib steaks. You will get approximately 12 steaks, taking all as steaks. Or 8 steaks with 1 – 3# roast.

T-bone Steaks: There are approximately 10 t-bones and 6 sirloins to a side of beef. You can choose New York strips and tenderloin filets (filet mignon) instead of t-bone steaks as they are from the same steaks.

Round section: You can have either round steaks, cutlets or a combination of both. If you don't use either of those, you can put it into ground beef. There are approximately 8-10 steaks from this section. One round steak equals 4 cutlets.

Ground beef: There is approximately 40-60#s of ground beef on average to a side. This will increase if you put in the chuck or round, and will decrease if you get stew meat.

Stew meat: Stew meat is boneless chunk meat for soups and stews.

Soup bones: These are meaty soup bones and will make a hearty soup base with quite a bit of beef to pick off the bones. Or you can chose to have them trimmed out and added to the ground beef. There are approximately 12 pkgs. on a side.

Cross-cut Shanks: There are approximately 4 packages of cross-cut shanks. This cut is very popular now to make Osso Buco.

Liver: You will receive ½ the liver. This will be sliced and put in 1# pkgs.

Heart, tongue, kidney, ox tail: These are limited items and some folks want these, some don't. Just let me know.

Other options: The brisket can be saved for barbeque or it can go into the ground beef. Fajita and flank steak can be requested or can also be added to the ground. We encourage you to take all the "dog bones" and trimmings. Dog bones are the large bones that are cut into smaller chunks and packaged in 5 lb bags. They are loaded with marrow that makes excellent soup stock. The beef fat and trimmings can be saved and packaged in 1 lb bags to be fed to your pets.

Here is a good website that gives a lot of detail on beef cuts and yields. Also other animals listed. I refer my customers to it so they will have a better understanding of what they can expect to get from a side of beef. I am surprised by some of the questions such as "Can I just have it all cut into t-bone steaks"

WWW.askthemeatman.com

Latest posts