106 temp in heifer.

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy

Reaction score
We have a 9 month old heifer with temp of 106, some cough, some runny nose, not eating well. Gave her LA 200 a couple of days ago.

Our vet is out of town.

Any other suggestions on what to give her?
What is the normal temp in a heifer?

Thanks in advance. I think our industry needs to take some steps somehow in getting large animals vets into the industry. We live in an area where we have one vet who will look at your animal if you haul it to his office. Will not make farm calls. My understanding from people I talk to is there are "very few" vet students even looking into practicing on large animals.

Baytril, Nuflor, Mycotil
Take your pick. Add some bandamine and keep an eye on the calf.

sounds like pneumonia. From what i've read on the boards i think Nuflor is the preferred treatment, but check with USA residents first, I'm in south Africa and don't know much about Neuflor.

nuflor is fine, but the la200 is only good for a day or two, so hit her again....use a stethoscope to listen to her lungs from both sides....if really rattley or gurgley, see the vet asap....

If you're not getting any response from the LA200, you'll have to get a better product from your vet. My preference is Micotil, but I usually give the LA200 a chance to work first unless temps are real high. A temp of 106 early in the morning would be what I consider high. The same temp at the end of the day, after chasing her around and running her into the chute is a different story.

Personally, I would hold off on the Banamine until you find the antibiotic that works. It's more important to fix the problem than to make her feel better right now. It's always hard to tell what kind of response you're getting to the antibiotic when you mask the symptoms with Banamine.

I wouldn't waste money and time with LA200 for what you have. Just went through a similar situation with a young hereford bull. Gave him nuflor, and then came back 3 days later with Nuflor and Pennicillin. He's doing fine now.

cypressfarms":30qxf8y2 said:
I wouldn't waste money and time with LA200 for what you have. Just went through a similar situation with a young hereford bull. Gave him nuflor, and then came back 3 days later with Nuflor and Pennicillin. He's doing fine now.

when did you get a hereford bull?

Latest posts