1000 pound weaning weight

Help Support CattleToday:

Not seeing why all the astonishment at 1000 pound weaning weight , I mean outliers crop up all the time, that would be why it is a bell curve over a population not a straight line, right ?. They are fun to brag about and it looks impressive but I wouldn't want to use one unless the dam did it year after year then maybe.
We had a 954 pound commercial weaner last year - 3/4 Red Angus 1/4 Simm - at 224 days on pasture. Slaughtered him 2 weeks ago at 1424 and his contemporaries had caught ( some had passed) him at that point.
To be honest I'm more astonished when people are okay with 400 pound weaning weights. JMO

goddy":axl9oicg said:
Not seeing why all the astonishment at 1000 pound weaning weight , I mean outliers crop up all the time, that would be why it is a bell curve over a population not a straight line, right ?. They are fun to brag about and it looks impressive but I wouldn't want to use one unless the dam did it year after year then maybe.
We had a 954 pound commercial weaner last year - 3/4 Red Angus 1/4 Simm - at 224 days on pasture. Slaughtered him 2 weeks ago at 1424 and his contemporaries had caught ( some had passed) him at that point.
To be honest I'm more astonished when people are okay with 400 pound weaning weights. JMO
While the heavyweights can bring you $$$ at salebarn but I felt that a 1,000lbs weanling is a bit too large for my taste.

I would be curious to ask a feedyard guy what weight an animal that is 1000lbs at 205 days would finish at. I would also be curious to know if at that finishing weight his steaks would look like anything humans would consume. Or like something from the Flintstones cartoon. I would be willing to bet you would be cutting off your nose to spite your face as no restaraunt would want to serve a 64 oz t bone unless it was some sort of eating contest.

goddy":d6lkltgl said:
me to,, especially commercial breeders....though 4 weights would bring 800.00 a couple months back... the bigger ones were a grand.. now if thats all you can get out of a cow and calf???..... bigger calves are going to be the ticket now ,,, less days on corn .. and less corn,, or what there is of it you will pay dearly..

ALACOWMAN":3oto4q61 said:
goddy":3oto4q61 said:
me to,, especially commercial breeders....though 4 weights would bring 800.00 a couple months back... the bigger ones were a grand.. now if thats all you can get out of a cow and calf???..... bigger calves are going to be the ticket now ,,, less days on corn .. and less corn,, or what there is of it you will pay dearly..

Never imagined a 1000# calf off one of mine. But X3 on the 400# number.

fitz

Latest posts