1000 pound weaning weight

Help Support CattleToday:

Simmental7

Reaction score
I was looking through some A.i. studs and came across this guy Shawacres Black Magic 3m look him up. but how and the hell could you get a 1000 pound weaning weight

Simmental7":1ymfpip4 said:
I was looking through some A.i. studs and came across this guy Shawacres Black Magic 3m look him up. but how and the be nice could you get a 1000 pound weaning weight
well lets see how....................CREEP.......... those numbers sound more impressive then he looks http://www.grinaltafarms.com/animals/blackmagic3m.htm

houstoncutter":1afnen57 said:
feed bucket and a real good pasture

Seeing where he was raised, and gaining 3 1/2 lbs per day from yearling to 15 months, my money would be on feed bucket. :cboy:

With all the feed in the world, do any of you think you could match those numbers with your cattle? I sure don't.

Massey135":qfwuedhw said:
With all the feed in the world, do any of you think you could match those numbers with your cattle? I sure don't.

his dam may have been near a ton, in that case, she is just doing an average job. I have seen many so called 1200 lb cows cross the scales at 1600.

Or she might not have been. At what bcs do you consider the 50% weaning weight?

1600 and fat (7+) isn't that big of a cow. That's a 1300 lb cow in pasture shape.

Massey135":1psmlto3 said:
different cattle,, do you think you could match those numbers in ""Texas'' using their cattle??

SSGenetics":3owvrjqp said:
Crummy looking bull either way.... :roll:
you want to see crummy... just wait till someone retains females sired by him... they'll need to follow em around with a truck picking up the pieces that fall off

Massey135":3kflipz0 said:
Or she might not have been. At what bcs do you consider the 50% weaning weight?

1600 and fat (7+) isn't that big of a cow. That's a 1300 lb cow in pasture shape.

50% at weaning cow in 5-6 BCS

Say a 1200lb cow weans a 600lb calf and a 1000lb cow weans a 500lb calf. I'll use the #s for the high selling calves at each weight in Durant last Thursday. 501lb @ 1.44 = $721.44 and 600lb @ $1.35 = $810.

I think those two cows will eat the same amount just the 1000lb cow will be in a bcs of 6 while the 1200lber in a 5. There's no way it cost me $90 more to run that 1200lb cow.

The whole 50% weaning weight ideal is flawed anyway as there's no way a 2000lb cow eats exactly 2x as much as a 1000lb cow.

Not to mention that 600lb calf will have a higher adg in the lot.

Doesn't matter if those easier fleshing calves can convert 4:1 if they can only eat 15lbs a day.

Latest posts