$1.03/lb for Black Angus Bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

griz

Reaction score
Just sold off my first Black Angus bull at market and he brought $1.03/lb at 285 lbs. Does this sound about right?

Sounds way low to me. I sold a rough looking (wormy) 755 pound black bull calf (with a set of nuts that wouldn't quit) last week and still got 90 cents per pound. And he was half Beefmaster and definitely showed some ear. The quite a bit smaller guys, also black and with ear, brought $1.30 to $1.40

I wish I had been able to catch and sell them a few months earlier when prices were higher and the calves "looked" better. But I'll be happy to take what I got. I remember my first ever calf crop( seems like around 1993 or 1994) when the cycle was at the low and we were in a drought and at the buyer's mercy -- it took a pretty dang good calf to bring $300.

griz":3yvd9r2e said:
Just sold off my first Black Angus bull at market and he brought $1.03/lb at 285 lbs. Does this sound about right?
You don't happen to know his epd's do you?

why did you sell him so young? do you have his mama? It does seem cheap, I sold some 700 lb calves for more than that last month, but then that's apples to oranges I guess.

Whereabouts are you?

Well, I would have to say my answer to your question would be another question:

How did the other animals in his weight bracket sell at?

That'll answer your question.

Bez

I'm in Central Illinois. I just sent his mama to the butcher and needed him gone. This was my first and last time in the cow business. Well, at least he's gone. At that weight, it does not appear that I lost too much.

Griz

Griz,

If I can ask, why are you done with cows? no money in it? I'm in the Northwest and took in some 400lb polled hereford bulls. I got .965/lbs but that was above average for the weight bracket, the top angus steers in the bracket was only bringing about 1.05/lbs and not many of those, most were .85 to .92 per lb. Although one lone red steer brought 1.32/lb, no idea why. But for the number of calves that went through at lower prices I was happy with what I got. I wish I would have shipped them at weaning , I figure I lost all the money I put into feed.

Alan

Caustic Burno":2tefyueb said:
It aint a easy business if it was everyone would be in it
Sure looks like everybody's trying to get in it now, Caustic. A man can't even afford a decent replacement 'cause there's so much demand from people who don't think they'll ever see another poor day. Or ever see 60 cent steer calves again. Guess we can wait and buy some of those $1200 replacements for $350 then, huh?

Texan":vcxwlirs said:
Caustic Burno":vcxwlirs said:
Sure looks like everybody's trying to get in it now, Caustic. A man can't even afford a decent replacement 'cause there's so much demand from people who don't think they'll ever see another poor day. Or ever see 60 cent steer calves again. Guess we can wait and buy some of those $1200 replacements for $350 then, huh?

Well Cowboy I have seen the lowest of lows as have several others on this board, thats when the real Cattlemen stand up the survivors. It's easy right now with these prices. You can even make it weaning small calfs.

Texan":3uqzm6mj said:
Caustic Burno":3uqzm6mj said:
The waiting part makes sense to me.

I got into this for one simple reason. I had 6 acres of good green pasture but I did not own a large enough mower. The local farmer told me to buy some angus and throw on there. I had a real strong electric fence on two sides and heavy duty cattle panels on the other. It started off real nice however the cows quickly got an attitude. They were breaking fences every other day, the neighbors 2000lb bull tore the cattle panel down and bred one of my heifers, the other heifer (who I was assured was not pregnant) dropped the bull calf that I mentioned in my first post here. I did this as a way to keep the grass mowed and eventually put some meat in my freezer. Long story short, I got in way over my head and instead of bailing like most people would I stuck it out until I could finish the cows out. I do admire the real cattle men out there but what I really learned is that sometimes even a good fence is not enough.

Griz

griz":1n6ljqkn said:
I really learned is that sometimes even a good fence is not enough.

Espically with angus...and a bull on the other side of the fence.

If you're going to do it again - get 3 or 4 steers. Bull won't be interested in them! After they've grown, keep one to eat and sell the others, and their gain should nearly pay for the butcher steer.

There is a poignant old poem with the title "Good Fences Make Good Neighbors". (Robert Frost I think)

Griz, I am in it for similiar reasons. I can keep 6-8 cows on my place and pay about $10k in taxes for the yr with the ag exemption, or let it go residential city lot and pay closer to $25k in taxes. To me it was a no brainer, just had to spend a fortune for the fencing and coralls and everything else I've needed. But now that that's done, as long as I don't lose more than about 15k a yr, I will keep the cows out here. Not to mention I went from bushhogging every 4-6 weeks the past few yrs to cutting it twice last summer.

I hate to bring this up.. but there is considerable rumblings in the legislature about the wonderful "ag exemp" properties. Primarily they are concerned about developers that buy large acreages, keep a few cows on it, and then break it up and build houses on it. They are beginning to realize the potential taxes they are losing to situations like this.

The ag exemptions where originally set up for farmers.. they are concerned because only about 25% are actually making a living from agriculture.

At one local auction last week, beef steers at 700-800lbs brought $1.02-$1.15/lb. That auction did range about 10 cents/lb higher than any of the other three, for some unknown reason.

Latest posts