'08 Ford F250

Help Support CattleToday:

I talked to a friend that traded his GAS Ford 3/4 ton in for a new diesel, and regrets it. Said he'd trade straight across for a used 10 cyl (?) gas.

Just for the heck of it, I searched inventory for either a gas Ford or Dodge, and couldn't find ANY. Any input?

HEREFORD ROADHOG":3vsq12tc said:
WHY NOT GET A REAL TRUCK ?? CHEVY OR GMC :D :heart: :cboy:

I did buy a real truck. An 04 F250 Fx4 6.0L. As of yet it has'nt been out pulled by any measure. Its not fast so its not going to win any races but what ever you buckle it up to its going to move it.

Crowderfarms":22d0yjk1 said:
I'd be afraid to buy any make truck, 1st year production. I'd want to see any bugs get worked out, and hear what folks think about them.

I still think that the old 7.3's were hard to beat.

I have a 97 Ford F350 7.3 dually crew cab that has 273K miles and runs like a freakin champ! It is a beast and it's hard to beat the 7.3 reliability. Like you said the bugs are worked out and believe it or not I get around 17-18 mpg around town 20-22 mpg highway unloaded. There is also a ton of room in the 97 crew cab. Six good sized adults will fit just fine.

TheLazyM":2f19hylw said:
HEREFORD ROADHOG":2f19hylw said:
WHY NOT GET A REAL TRUCK ?? CHEVY OR GMC :D :heart: :cboy:

I did buy a real truck. An 04 F250 Fx4 6.0L. As of yet it has'nt been out pulled by any measure. Its not fast so its not going to win any races but what ever you buckle it up to its going to move it.

My dad was a Chevy man and I married a Ford man... the first 10 or so years I won out and we had Chevy's. But, friends of ours summed it up best when they said, "go to any cattle show anywhere and you'll see primarily Ford's. All those people can't be wrong". Ford doesn't dominate the luxury car market but they know their trucks... and I think given a little time they'll get those kinks worked out. We've had Ford trucks since about '97 and have never been disappointed.

<chuckle> I guess it would depend on what cattle show you go to. Hit one up here, and the Dodges would outnumber Ford and Chevy combined by a 2 to 1 factor.

IMHO, "looking at what others drive" isn't necessarily a good way to determine what a good vehicle is. Chances are quite good that the reason why you see so many of "Brand X" in a particular area is because there is likely one exceptional dealership servicing that area. Take my home town for example. The Dodge trucks in this area would literally outnumber all others combined by a factor of 10. Go 45 miles south and the Dodge trucks in that town are all but non-existant (except for the few requisite Cummins kicking around).

Rod

All I know is that I looked at the stickers on some of those new Ford's and I liked to died. Couldn't get past sticker shock to notice the mileage.

I still love my '01, thanks. Still looks great inside and out and has been dependable. There are still a ton of that body style around. I really didn't like the new body style that came after that one. Too boxy and I never liked that dipping front door window. I didn't like the way the back of it looked, either. Too boxy.

DiamondSCattleCo":2fh8b1uw said:
<chuckle> I guess it would depend on what cattle show you go to. Hit one up here, and the Dodges would outnumber Ford and Chevy combined by a 2 to 1 factor.

IMHO, "looking at what others drive" isn't necessarily a good way to determine what a good vehicle is. Chances are quite good that the reason why you see so many of "Brand X" in a particular area is because there is likely one exceptional dealership servicing that area. Take my home town for example. The Dodge trucks in this area would literally outnumber all others combined by a factor of 10. Go 45 miles south and the Dodge trucks in that town are all but non-existant (except for the few requisite Cummins kicking around).

Rod

Rod, glad I made you "chuckle". However, my husband and I tested this theory last year when we went to NAILE...either we showed up on "Ford Customer Appreciation Day" or people really do like their Fords...

Wisteria Farms":39cv99ze said:
Rod, glad I made you "chuckle". However, my husband and I tested this theory last year when we went to NAILE...either we showed up on "Ford Customer Appreciation Day" or people really do like their Fords...

You sorta made my point. I'm not sure what NAILE is, but you head up to Western Canadian Agribition and you're going to see far more Dodge's than Fords or Chevs in the lot. It depends on your region more than vehicle quality.

my great uncle bought one so he could haul campers all around the country, so far he is likeing it. those things are so quiet.

DiamondSCattleCo":2itbnbqa said:
Wisteria Farms":2itbnbqa said:

You sorta made my point. I'm not sure what NAILE is, but you head up to Western Canadian Agribition and you're going to see far more Dodge's than Fords or Chevs in the lot. It depends on your region more than vehicle quality.

Sorry, I didn't realize you weren't in the US. NAILE stands for the North American International Livestock Exposition. It is a HUGE show in Louisville, Kentucky. If there were ever a good place to compare tow vehicles, this would be it... there are cattle breeds represented from all across the US... not any particular "region". Thanks again.... and for the record... husband wants to look at a DODGE! One of our company trucks is a Dodge and he wants to take another look at them. Who knows what we'll wind up with but I'm sure it'll be something since he has the "bug".

Wisteria Farms":2qkfzmmi said:
but I'm sure it'll be something since he has the "bug".

:lol: :lol: Ah yes, my wife used to hate the bug. She always knew a new duallie would roll in after my eyes got all glazed over.

Of course that was back before kids and when I had money. Now "the bug" means I get to buy a new Hot Wheels truck for my boys. :lol:

Brute 23":vsqjo8va said:
IF the show people are running Fords then I know I am better off with Chevy or Dodge now... :lol: They have a habbit of getting things that look good but don't acually perform. ;-)

Um.... what makes you think they don't perform? We bit the bullet and bought an '08 Diesel 250 4x4 and really like it. (Updated from earlier posts). We're getting around 14 MPG (which I understand should get better after it gets broken in). I don't like the payment but it was time...

p.s. Brute, good luck with the comment about the habits of show people!

son just bought a SCT Livewire programmer for his 08' Ford and now it's getting around 20 MPG on the highway...so I wouldn't believe all that about them getting crappy mileage...cause it's getting better than my trucks

I actually like the new Ford trucks,, but I have learned my lessons and will never buy a first or second year... any thing.

If Fords will get smart and keep it around for 4 or 5 years so they can make it dependable and do some thing about the MPGs I would consider it.

[quote="Brute 23"]I actually like the new Ford trucks,, but I have learned my lessons and will never buy a first or second year... any thing.

You da man today Brute! There are always recalls and fixits on the new stuff.
Also laughed about your show people comments. We show cattle all over the country and it's always a who's got bigger contest. Whether it is a truck, trailer, chute, calf, etc, etc. If you like your vehicle, drive it! With that said, Go Chevy!! We love our truck!

I have a 08 CC F250 with the V10. I traded a 05 6.0 Diesel in for the 08 V10. I'm very, very happy with the truck and get about 12 MPG with the V10 a bit less than the 6.4 gets, I hear, but with less noise and cheaper oil changes, etc. The V10 is also $6K cheaper to purchase. I picked up the Lariat Crew with most options for about $39K out the door.

Also, the ride of the 08 is significantly better then my 05.

Tom

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you're thinking about buying an '08 FORD Diesel... DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!!! I did the homework and was assured by my dealer that all the "defective" trucks had the power control module reprogrammed and that the truck I was buying was no concern.

Well!!! Its now in the shop for the second time. Mine did'nt shoot flames but if I'd let it run much longer I believe it would have. Husband went out to warm it up and we heard such a racket... the thing was knocking REAL bad and tons of white smoke coming from the tailpipe. Took it in and they said the fuel injector had leaked fuel into the oil. Got ready to go on vacation and it happened AGAIN. I pick it up tomorrow morning. Unfortunately the lemon law won't apply because we bought it as a company truck. Anyone else having problems?