'08 Ford F250

Help Support CattleToday:

larryshoat":2bgfpxxh said:
I have to agree. I had a 96 powerstroke that almost drove me crazy.Just small electrical problems,but so hard to diagnose.I have a 2000 powerstroke now and it has been fairly trouble free.

My 96 would be running great and then just shut off. Ford never found the problem and I got tired of it finally and traded it.

Couldn't keep glow plug relays in the 94 or idler pullies on it more than 20K before the would start wobbling and squeaking the belt. I put all OEM replacements on it too.

flaboy?":36afxu61 said:
Wisteria Farms":36afxu61 said:
We have an '04 F350 and the husband says he's overdue for a truck... looking REAL HARD at a new F350 Diesel but haven't heard too much good about them. He puts on a lot of miles for the company and the MPG have me scared. Anybody heard of any improvements for the new model year?

Personally I would hold off. From what I hear the motor is good but the mileage is not. There has to be something wrong for that thing to only get 12MPG HW IMHO and trust me I am Ford man.

Don't let the advertisements fool you either. That is not a dual turbo, it's a dual stage turbo. I would wait till next year if it were me. I did when I got my 6 liter and it has been a good one.

I agree....I've been holding him off since they first hit the lot... using interest rates as my excuse... told him when they hit 0% I'd consider it. Now that Chevy and all are doing their year-end model clearances I'm getting worried I'm running out of excuses! haha. But I agree with you, there's so much talk about the sorry MPG that they've GOT to change it for the better! Salesman said "oh but the Diesel will last 100 years!"...maybe but my pocketbook wont!

Brute 23":3q21e21g said:
The best thing Ford could do right now is go back to the 7.3. ;-)

Amen, I have the first year of the powerstroke 7.3, clutch is about the only major prob, after that they are golden with good maintenance. Oh, not to mention for less then 20k I could rebuild motor/tranny/drivetrain and pretty much whole truck to the exact heavy specs I want, I could never pay 40k for a pickup JMHO :lol:

That's my dilemna as well. I need to do something soon, and I also put over 35,000 miles a year on a vehicle! I did the math at 11 MPG, and that's almost $3000 a month. No way can I justify that!

TheBullLady":1n3d7h82 said:
That's my dilemna as well. I need to do something soon, and I also put over 35,000 miles a year on a vehicle! I did the math at 11 MPG, and that's almost $3000 a month. No way can I justify that!

I think your calculator might need new batteries. :lol:

flaboy?":hvceghh7 said:
TheBullLady":hvceghh7 said:

I think your calculator might need new batteries. :lol:

:roll: Either that or she pays $11.32 per gal.

Funny that you should mention that Brute! I have a buddy who is a master diesel mechanic at the local Ford place and he has been telling me the same thing since Ford started playing musical engines every year.

I was considering dumping our 05 for one of the new 450's and he advised me to wait at least a year or 2 in hopes that FMC will quit making major engine changes long enough to get the bugs worked out. He was telling me about the flamethrower effect (guess the new EGR valve setup was not quite right and every now and then for no apparent reason the trucks were shooting 3-4 foot flames out the exhaust. Definitely cool to watch, but not so much for the guy sitting next to you at the stop light). He also mentioned the horrible fuel mileage the other day, but on the up-side he did say everyone he has talked to has raved about the pulling power and the amazing power-band they are seeing with the new turbo setup.

Ya. They just need to stick with it now and make it dependable.

Imagine a 3' - 4' flame coming out the tail pipe with a $50K 5th wheel camper behing you. :shock: Saw 3 or 4 Ford trucks with campers burned up when I went from Texas to Florida. :x

Beefy":2a1topzs said:
i dont doubt it, they look about as aerodynamic as a schoolbus.

Don't insult my schoolbus!!! :p

The new Fords are SERIOUSLY ugly! Likes like the puppies from crossing a Peterbilt and a riceburner...

If it's true (11 mpg) you might as well drive the schoolbus... I get 6 mpg and I could haul a h3ll of a lot more cargo in a schoolbus than you ever could with that pickup... :)

JMHO! OL JR :)

Let's not forget the fuel they now produce stinks too.
I do agree those new trucks are ugly. Told our friend who sells them that too. He had no comment.
Corky what's the word on the diesel motor they are planning on putting in the F-150's?
Our old '02 got between 15-18 mpg on a trip, but we were only going 65mph. So speed also factors into mpg.

I luv herfrds":3hh256d0 said:
I do agree those new trucks are ugly. Told our friend who sells them that too. He had no comment.
Corky what's the word on the diesel motor they are planning on putting in the F-150's?
Our old '02 got between 15-18 mpg on a trip, but we were only going 65mph. So speed also factors into mpg.

My 02 Supercrew with the 4.6 v8 gets 20 on the highway pretty consistently when I drive it to Indiana twice a year. My brother in law has an 05 Supercrew and I don't like it anywhere near as well... it sits too high, the bed is too high, I don't like the *PRICEY* 17 inch tires, and the drive by wire crap is just overplumbed IMHO. Think I'll stick with my old one til the wheels fall off... OL JR:)

Now, now all you Ford bashers should go read the Cummins board and see all the problems they are having also especially with the new 6.7.

And I quote "I loved my 6.7 for the first 5k, it was very strong and got good MPG and had no problems. Then on may way to work one morning my yellow light of death started blinking and the truck died. It was towed to the dealer and the turbo charger was all burned up inside, it looked like it had over a million miles on it, and when they looked further the valves were burnt and full of soot, and my pistons were shot. On a conference call with Cummins and Dodge engineers they did admit that they are having what they called "back pressure issues with with new emission system." I never beat on my truck, used only ultralow sulfur fuel, and never let it idle. The truck needed a complete overhaul at 5k. The dealer did an even swap with me for a 2007 5.9 last night. The 6.7 is an extremely powerful engine, but they really need to get the bugs out of the emissions and their "back pressure" problems. Good luck and I hope this helps."

Here's the link and there are more complaint threads. Like I have said before, they all have their problems.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7-liter-general-discussion/29924-r-6-7s-junk.html

Our '04 was running pretty bad until we started doing an oil change every 2000 miles. We are now doing a 3000 mile oil change. It likes 10w30 better then any other oil and it is hard starting on hot days, but better on cold days. :roll:
cowtrek we are over 3000ft above sea level. I believe, but I'm not sure we were around 4-5000 ft during the trip.
It was a crew cab long box 4x4.

flaboy?":wswx88my said:
Now, now all you Ford bashers should go read the Cummins board and see all the problems they are having also especially with the new 6.7.

And I quote "I loved my 6.7 for the first 5k, it was very strong and got good MPG and had no problems. Then on may way to work one morning my yellow light of death started blinking and the truck died. It was towed to the dealer and the turbo charger was all burned up inside, it looked like it had over a million miles on it, and when they looked further the valves were burnt and full of soot, and my pistons were shot. On a conference call with Cummins and Dodge engineers they did admit that they are having what they called "back pressure issues with with new emission system." I never beat on my truck, used only ultralow sulfur fuel, and never let it idle. The truck needed a complete overhaul at 5k. The dealer did an even swap with me for a 2007 5.9 last night. The 6.7 is an extremely powerful engine, but they really need to get the bugs out of the emissions and their "back pressure" problems. Good luck and I hope this helps."

Here's the link and there are more complaint threads. Like I have said before, they all have their problems.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7-liter-general-discussion/29924-r-6-7s-junk.html

Yup it is a sad time for the Diesel truck market. :(

HEREFORD ROADHOG":2ksdy0e0 said:
WHY NOT GET A REAL TRUCK ?? CHEVY OR GMC :D :heart: :cboy:

What??? Are you a comedian?
hahaha-024.gif

Brute 23":2u982k8f said:
flaboy?":2u982k8f said:
Crowderfarms":2u982k8f said:
I'd be afraid to buy any make truck, 1st year production. I'd want to see any bugs get worked out, and hear what folks think about them.

I still think that the old 7.3's were hard to beat.

While I do agree with you on the 7.3's lets not forget they had their early problems too. On the first turbo units they had head gaskets, glow plugs and glow plug relays, idler pulleys, cylinder cavitation, auto tranny problem, ECU issues, fly by wire pedal issues, and some that I forget. I think the main reason folks think the 7'3 is so good is, it was around long enough to work the kinks out. This is not unlike the Cummins and Isuzu engines also.

Then of course this is just my opinion but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once. :lol:

The best thing Ford could do right now is go back to the 7.3. ;-)

I couldn't agree more. ;-) I have a 95 F350 and we would like to up grade but there is more space in the crewcab of 95 then there is in the new ones. They truck has 450,000 km's on it but it still goes awesome. Haven't been able to find anything we like to replace it-no 7.3's out there or if they are they aren't the right size for us.

If you are looking for a good truck my opinion is to buy a truck with miles on it. Less expensive. The dodge dealership I have bought my truck from keep a good selection of used diesel trucks that are farm trucks. I bought a truck in 1999. My dad has a 95 dodge diesel with 250,000 miles that has had 1 water pump. The dealership we go through will even come pick my truck at work. If anyone needs their number reply and I can post their number.
The service department is small but is very good about working people in to get things worked on.
I have some friemds with dodge diesel trucks with upwards of a million miles on them they are cattle dealers.

I luv herfrds":6gw86xxi said:

I haven't heard anything on the motor for the 150's. I'll ask my buddy and see if he knows anything. I have been hitting the diesel boards pretty hard and seems like some people are getting decent (12-15 MPG) with their 350-450's and then others are getting HORRIBLE mileage. Kinda had my heart set on a new truck, so I have been trying to talk myself into it. Didn't work! After hearing about the Mileage on the Fords, The DPF, and injector problems EVERYONE is seeing in the new 6.7L Dodges I have decided to wait and see what happens. The more I look, the better the 17.8 MPG I'm getting out of my 05 F350 CC/SRW truck is looking.

BTW, What part of MT are you in I Luv Herfrds? I'm originally from Ryegate. Sure miss it most of the time, at least until I talk to my folks during Feb & it's 20 below on the highline.

Even though I just put a 2nd tranny in my 7.3L 99F250PSD auto 4x4, I wouldn't trade it for anything... yet. That may change some day but with 101k on it, its just getting broke in so I put a set of gauges in it a couple weeks ago (Tranny, Boost and Pyro on the A-Pillar) to start taking better care of it given the prices and problems the diesels have had the past few years. I've got other mods planned also to help it live up to its life and capability potential which will still be way cheaper than buying a new one. The auto tranny has always been the weak link but I used the last tranny failure back in June to upgrade the Torque Converter. Even with that the new temp gauge is telling me I still need more tranny cooling if I want this one to last longer given my usage. I'm currently looking for one of the larger coolers used in the 01's or later 6.0's since that seems to be one of the few things they did right on the 6.0. I've heard there are some synthetic tranny fluids that conduct heat better but I haven't identified a specific one yet.

Latest posts