Zebu over Dexter

Help Support CattleToday:

CGFarm

Reaction score
I have two daughters, (5yo and 11 months), I am wanting to create them a Cowgirl to College fund by purchasing them 2 Dexter cows a piece and starting them their own herd and savings. We or my 5yo already has a Zebu bull, thats why I'm thinking of this cross instead of buying another bull. Can't find anything about this cross. In my mind I'm thinking miniature Brangus or along that line. Do y'all think I would be ok with this cross or am I loosing what meat Dexters have by breeding to Zebu.

Not much commercial value if you sell crosses. Dexters are dual purpose and Mini Zebu, like their bigger counterparts, are low yield dairy. For beef, you lose the best traits of Dexters. Zebus give about a 30% yield on carcass, so not useful there. Why reduce the carcass yield by crossing? Zebus are too little and mature much later to be very useful for breeding. Dairy traits from the Dexter cows are already outstanding. Zebus are good milkers, too, but not much point in crossing them. Both have rich milk, but you lose the carcass yield from the crossbred steers.

I'm guessing this post was a joke. I got a chuckle out of it anyway. Just in case they were serious, I am going to say NO, don't throw away your kids college money! The current market leaves no room for profit from even the most desired cattle, and neither Zebu nor Dexter will bring top prices even in a good market.

Both breeds are tough to sell in many areas and not much beef in both breeds either. Miniature Herefords, Moderators or Lowlines are much better choices.

MNBelties said:
Both breeds are tough to sell in many areas and not much beef in both breeds either. Miniature Herefords, Moderators or Lowlines are much better choices.

Our Dexters do not yield as much beef in pounds, but they have excellent percent yields, even from grassfed. The economics work nicely for our small farm. :D

Latest posts