Vaccination Over Dose

Help Support CattleToday:

While I'm not a pharmacologist, I am a veterinarian... I would not depend on Banamine (flunixin) doing anything helpful in the face of a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction, particularly if you gave it intramuscularly. Talk to your vet about scripting out epinephrine.
@Jeanne - Simme Valley you probably need to get a new bottle!

After losing the one calf of our own that we are fairly certain died of anaphylaxis, we started keeping in-date epinephrine on hand, especially when we were giving clostridial bacterin/toxoids. Also... after that one loss, we started holding vaccinated calves for 30-60 minutes before turning them out.
Have never had to use epinephrine since, but it's cheap, and well worth having on hand

The only time I ever saw multiple cattle with anaphylaxis was when a colleague was treating a dairy herd with botulism antitoxin... they'd already lost numerous cows to botulism, and were treating all that had had access to the suspect alfalfa baleage they were feeding.
It didn't seem to matter what he did... if they developed anaphylaxis, they were gonna die. After the first couple, he started 'pre-treating' with atropine and antihistamines; I'm not sure that helped decrease the number of affected animals. Affected cattle would have their hair stand on end, they'd start breathing hard, would begin to sweat, and pretty soon, would just drop. Epinephrine didn't appear to stop the progression.
It was a saddening thing to experience.

I've seen multiple pigs die of anaphylaxis due to vaccination with a Bordetella bacterin/toxoid for atrophic rhinitis.

I had it happen to my milk cow once after a shot of some newfangled mastitis vaccine. (Now I know it's not effective, but back then, it was the "new thing.") The cow was fine for about 10 or 15 minutes, and it's a good thing I stayed to tidy up in the barn, because she came staggering back in, gasping, drooling, totally out of her mind. I had gotten some epi at the same time as the vaccine, so I got some and shot her up and she was fine in 5 minutes. I was really scared she was about to keel over and choke to death, though. The other two cows that got the same vaccine (her sister and her daughter) never had a reaction at all. Weird. Needless to say, I tossed the remainder of the vaccine. No booster. :(

I was vaccinating cattle yesterday with 2 ml of Cavalry 9 and 5 ml of Virashield 6 VL5 HB, just the normal dose, no overdose.
Afterwards one of my calves laid down and was wheezing and in respiratory distress. Obviously, it was having a reaction to the vaccines and the airway was somewhat restricted. I thought this one was going die on me, I just left it alone so it could rest and try to catch its breath, and after about 2 hours was up on its feet. I've never had one have a reaction like that before. I know the antidote is epinephrine but it's not like I have any of that on hand and on a Saturday afternoon all of the vet offices are closed. I got lucky, this was a close call, given the reaction that occurred I will not be giving this one a follow up dose.

Has anyone else had something like this happen?
You mean you gave Cavalry to calves and V6VLHB to cows and calf reacted To only the clostridia? If you're giving both to calves you might reconsider. Also if no epi I'd give dexamethasone before I used banamine - if I had it. IV if possible. Just some thoughts.

While I'm not a pharmacologist, I am a veterinarian... I would not depend on Banamine (flunixin) doing anything helpful in the face of a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction, particularly if you gave it intramuscularly. Talk to your vet about scripting out epinephrine.
@Jeanne - Simme Valley you probably need to get a new
😆 🤣 you think I might need to update my 30 year old supply?

If you're giving both to calves you might reconsider.
Yes, I was using both products on calves, it was what I had left over after vaccinating the cows. I chose the Virashield product because it's safe for pregnant cows.

Yes, I was using both products on calves, it was what I had left over after vaccinating the cows. I chose the Virashield product because it's safe for pregnant cows.
I don't remember specifically why, but years ago my vet told me to never give a clostridium vaccine and anything for respiratory on the same side. Autogenous pinkeye & Calvary 9 on one side, Triangle4+PH-K on the other when working calves in the spring, Calvary 9 on one side and Vista Once on the other at weaning. Doesn't matter what side I Lute the heifers or treat with an antibiotic (if needed). Same protocol with cows, bulls, retained or bred heifers.

Got my instructions, that's how I roll. @wbvs58 or @Lucky_P, care to explain or elaborate?

I don't remember specifically why, but years ago my vet told me to never give a clostridium vaccine and anything for respiratory on the same side. Autogenous pinkeye & Calvary 9 on one side, Triangle4+PH-K on the other when working calves in the spring, Calvary 9 on one side and Vista Once on the other at weaning. Doesn't matter what side I Lute the heifers or treat with an antibiotic (if needed). Same protocol with cows, bulls, retained or bred heifers.

Got my instructions, that's how I roll. @wbvs58 or @Lucky_P, care to explain or elaborate?
My Vet said that the clostridium vaccine will occupy most if not all of the immune system and the respiratory vaccine is sort of a waste because the body will not react enough to create solid immunity to it.

I would think Benadryl would take to long to be effective in true anaphylaxis?

I am not sure if copperhead snake venom causes anaphylactic shock or not, but have always been told to keep Benadryl liquid on hand for dogs if they got snakebit. Instructions from vet was "Pour as much down them as you can as fast as you can and hope for the best."
Perhaps an OWT..
(may be a completely separate issue)

I don't know the reasoning for that one TC, might be to do with one being a toxoid and other a live vaccine, not wanting to have the preservatives in the clostridial vaccine mingling with a live vaccine. I am not familiar with your vaccines so don't really know which are live.

Ken

It was said not to give certain number of gram negative vaccines and gram positive ones at the same time. I don't remember how that went.

Latest posts