Vaccination Over Dose

Help Support CattleToday:

birdog

Reaction score
I changed up my procedure for vaccinating cows due to time constraints and 104 Temps. Had 3 head to work so I thought I'd speed up the process and draw up a syringe with enough for all 3. Never again. About the time I stuck her my son hit her with a new eartag...she jumped and I injected her with 6 ml of Vision 7 w/Spur. Now my question is, Is there any long term effects I need to watch her for? We kept her penned close over night. She seems fine this morning so I turned her out.

Other than a bigger site reaction you will be fine. Vaccine doses are worked out to guarantee to give the desired effect after handling storage and transport so if more is required they will put it in but also they won't give us too much but there is a lot of flexibility in the dose rate.

Ken

Thanks for the replies. That's what I figured. I just couldn't find enough information on over dosing with Vision 7. I won't make that mistake again. It never fails...the faster I go the more behind I get. 😆
I dont remember the whole story. But the moral was, "Slow down son, we's in a hurry!"

I was vaccinating cattle yesterday with 2 ml of Cavalry 9 and 5 ml of Virashield 6 VL5 HB, just the normal dose, no overdose.
Afterwards one of my calves laid down and was wheezing and in respiratory distress. Obviously, it was having a reaction to the vaccines and the airway was somewhat restricted. I thought this one was going die on me, I just left it alone so it could rest and try to catch its breath, and after about 2 hours was up on its feet. I've never had one have a reaction like that before. I know the antidote is epinephrine but it's not like I have any of that on hand and on a Saturday afternoon all of the vet offices are closed. I got lucky, this was a close call, given the reaction that occurred I will not be giving this one a follow up dose.

Has anyone else had something like this happen?

another question would be "which vaccine caused the adverse reaction or was it a combination of the 2 vaccines?"
Probably something you will never know the answer to tho........
Anaphylaxis is a stated possible side effect of both Calvary9 and virashield 6 vl5 hb but I don't know if that possibility is increased by using both at once..

I ask a vet one time should I could get some to keep on hand. He ask if I had ever had a animal have a reaction. The answer was no so we decided against it. Why? He said it only happens about once in 10,000 cattle. Another reason is the epinephrine has a short shelf life.

Back when we had goats, we kept Primatene mist OTC on hand, because it contained epinephrine. 10 pumps to equate a goat dose (squirted into mouth for mucous membrane absorption). Not sure if it has epi in it anymore.

Anaphylaxis is a stated possible side effect of both Calvary9 and virashield 6 vl5 hb but I don't know if that possibility is increased by using both at once..
It's a possibility that the combination has an increased risk but that is something that I will probably never know. All I know is that I've been using these two products for a while now and this is the first time I've had a problem.

Back when we had goats, we kept Primatene mist OTC on hand, because it contained epinephrine. 10 pumps to equate a goat dose (squirted into mouth for mucous membrane absorption). Not sure if it has epi in it anymore.
I just looked up the ingredient list for Primatene Mist.
1673802042750.png
I'm not sure how many pumps it would take for a 350 lb calf but it would be well worth the price of an inhaler to save one.