Prolapse all over again ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve,
In MOST cases, a uterine prolapse is just an accident...long hard delivery, or some excessive bruising/swelling that stimulates the cow to continue putting on an abdominal press and just turns the thing inside out.
Again, in MOST cases, there's no reason to cull a cow just because of a uterine prolapse, if she breeds back in a timely manner - and most will, if you get it back in without a lot of damage. She's no more likely to prolapse again than any other cow in the world. That said, some - like those Aaron & SD mentioned may have some structural/support issues.
That said, some folks don't want to take the chance, and that's OK.
Some folks also say, "If you never pull a calf, you never have to." Think on that...

Had a cow that started prolapsing (again this year) back in december, pulled her from the main herd that winters outside and moved her to the feedlot (can get inside) so I could keep a closer eye on her. She didn't push it out much for a couple months, but lately its been daily, both butt and vag. She'd get up and walk around, and it would all go back in - but I hated seeing it. Well came home yesterday to a set of twins, 80.5 bull and 81 lb heifer.. So the 160 lbs of calf must have been popping her at the seams, as she's much slimmer looking today.

She calved fine, and all is well.. But I still think she's destined for the road after this round. I just can't have her doing this, as outdoors it would be prone to frostbite. And really I have no idea how she's not an infected mess after all ways hanging out in manure all the time.

Lucky_P":23wbdfqd said:
Steve,
In MOST cases, a uterine prolapse is just an accident...long hard delivery, or some excessive bruising/swelling that stimulates the cow to continue putting on an abdominal press and just turns the thing inside out.
Again, in MOST cases, there's no reason to cull a cow just because of a uterine prolapse, if she breeds back in a timely manner - and most will, if you get it back in without a lot of damage. She's no more likely to prolapse again than any other cow in the world. That said, some - like those Aaron & SD mentioned may have some structural/support issues.
That said, some folks don't want to take the chance, and that's OK.
Some folks also say, "If you never pull a calf, you never have to." Think on that...

What it all really boils down to is Clint says ya' gotta ask yerself ...... Do ya' feel lucky :?: ... PUNK :p :p :p