Prolapse cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Had a heifer starting to have a vaginal prolapse.

Vet put a button in her

She ended up having the calf the next morning. She's going down the road this fall.
And wouldn't you know it she had a nice heifer sired by Hooks Yellowstone 97Y

Well my fine prolapse cow held together long enough to raise her calf and take the ride to the kill plant. She brought $931. She just missed a weight up grade by 2 pounds. 2 pounds more she would brought $22.80 more. Oh well I am sure not complaining. There was some times when I sure thought she was a candidate for the bone yard. But I think she raised the biggest calf from this years bunch. Got to love it when a plan comes together.

P4172834.JPGP8183013.JPG

That's some old-school stuff there. They taught us about that procedure when I was in vet school... 40 years ago... but they didn't demonstrate it, and I never saw or heard of anyone who actually did it.
Essentially, it's a plastic 'nail', with a button that fits over the 'head', then you shove it from inside-out, through vaginal wall, pelvic musulature, skin, and slip another button over the pointy end, slide a cotter pin into holes pre-drilled in the shaft, to hold it in place. Rinse & repeat on the other side.
https://www.outbackvetsupply.com/product.jhtm?id=713&cid=183

Working on mostly Beefmasters & Gerts when I was in practice...30 years ago... I saw plenty of vaginal/cervical prolapses. Just did an epidural, cleaned 'em up, shoved 'em back in, and did a Buhner stitch - and recommended pounding them out... but, since so many were 'valuable registered' cows... not enough of them went to town. Most calved relatively uneventfully, even if the owners didn't follow my instructions to keep them up and cut out the stitch when calving was eminent. Guess the cotton umbilical tape we used had rotted enough by the time that most got around to calving that it just broke (or tore through... IDK).
Lucky_P have you ever heard of or done a Barth Blowout Stitch with the Buhner? I saw something about it when googling about prolapses. I guess it's a small suture to connect the two ends of the umbilical tape together instead of doing a bowtie. It's strong enough to keep the prolapse from reoccurring, but will break free during calving. Not sure if this a new technique or a bunch of bologna? We have had the vet out to stich up two cows in the last three weeks for vaginal prolapses. Both are on their third calf and not due for 3 more months. I saw it after the vet visit so I didn't get a chance to ask them about it. Just worried about timing when to cut the stitch before they go into labor.

I know it's an older thread, and I don't doubt anything about the bladder protruding out, but I just have a hard time getting my head around how the bladder that sits down so low can get out.
Education lacking......

Had one vaginal prolapse on a beefmaster heifer near calving date one morning but by that evening, it had gone back in on it's own. Lost that calf (99lbs) a few weeks later. Kept her tho and she had 2 more nice (live unassisted )calves the following years, no sign of prolapse , then the flood took her. Sometimes you get lucky and unlucky I guess.

Decades ago (mid '60s) we had a purebred polled hereford that had a uterine prolapse. Ugly looking but the coyotes and buzzards got to her before we could get her penned and do anything with it.

Latest posts