Cervical Prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

RzrbkFarmer58

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time poster here.. Just came to explore opinions on a pretty (for lack of a better term) brutal scenario that I hate dealing with. Bought a real nice 5/3 black baldy from a sale back in early December. She had showed signs of being close off and on for a few weeks now.. She had separated from the herd Saturday night so I knew things were about to start going into motion.

Sunday morning after church, found her with a vaginal/cervical prolapse. I was able to get her up and to the main barn at our home farm. We got her put back together (3 times) on Sunday but she had only dialated to about 2 fingers width, wasn't ready yet. Washed her off every time to ensure it was as clean as possible.

Yesterday, she had dialated to about a hand width and had continued her issues. Decided it'd be best to start helping her out and get that process out of the way to keep her as clean as possible inside. Slowly helped stretch her cervix and began the pulling process. After about 2 hours and some western activities, we got a hoss bull calf out of her. Big, beautiful calf.

Here's where suggestions and opinions are needed. She prolapsed again last night and I got up early and took care of her before work. Plan to give her lutalyse on Thursday to help flush her, shes already been givin a stout dose of penicillin to fight infection, and plan to give a dose of LA300 with the lutalyse on thursday. Do I sew her up? Other medicine recommendations? Any oddball methods to help keep her in?

Thanks in advance, I thoroughly enjoy reading the board and all of the value that everyone's situations bring to other's farms.

We had one prolapsed before and after calving. Vet said post-calving hormones should help shrink the cervix but she still prolapsed again. Sewed her up where she could still function but kept her away from the bull. Will be in the freezer in a few weeks.

Have the vet sew up with a Buhner stitch. It should keep everything in so you can keep her long enough to raise the calf. You'll want to get rid of her after weaning because she will most likely do it again.

Took her and the calf to the vet last night, they are going to have one heck of a time getting her put back together if it's anything like it was for me last night. Took some serious muscling. In a few spots I noticed what seemed to be early onset of infection.. Sure hope she gets medicated/sewn up and all is well, but I'm not going to hold my breathe on it.

Latest posts