zebu

Help Support CattleToday:

gitnby

Reaction score
interested in a young bull..gelbvg ieh,angus with some zebu influence...not sure how much...........anybody know what kind of calves he would throw...was concerened about horns and havin red calves?

Last one I saw at a sale was full grown and brought next to nothing.
That's about all I know about em.

O!
And it was not red. Kinda gray I guess
Do zebu have the African horn gene?

The only Zebu cattle I've seen were at a petting zoo. Not much bigger that the sheep and full grown with horns.

interested in a young bull..gelbvg ieh,angus with some zebu influence...not sure how much...........anybody know what kind of calves he would throw...was concerened about horns and havin red calves?
The only upside to that 'zebu' choice is better milking.
It won't take much of that influence to have a lot of leather and ear. Gyr might give you a lot of docility tho.

The only Zebu cattle I've seen were at a petting zoo. Not much bigger that the sheep and full grown with horns.
Those were mini Zebu. All bos indicus cattle are Zebu. It is the English word for bos indicus. Brahman are Zebu, Gyr are Zebu. Nelore are, Indu-Brasil are.

Just like the Spanish cattle imported to the new world in the early 1500;'s are called Criollo which includes several breeds. Long Horn are Criollo, Correinte are Criollo. Piney Woods, FLa Cracker and Fla Scrub are Criollo.
Last one I saw at a sale was full grown and brought next to nothing.
That's about all I know about em.

O!
And it was not red. Kinda gray I guess
Do zebu have the African horn gene?
If they carry genetics from one of the Zebu subspecies, like Sangra, they can. But not all for sure. If they all did, we'd have no polled Brangus Ankole-Watusi ( or just Watusi) are a Sangra breed of bos indicus ( Zebu) cattle . I have never seen even a reg Angus be able to poll a calf out of a pb Watusi. Closest I ever saw was scurred, but I doubt the cow as pure Watusi. Lot of people cross LH and Watusi. Some times the calf has LH-type horns, sometimes it has Watusi-type horns, but what they are trying for with this cross, is horn width of a LH, but the height and thickness of Watusi.

Latest posts