Your setup for spot spraying and fence lines, etc.

Help Support CattleToday:

JHALL

Reaction score
What's your guys setup for small jobs, spot spraying noxious weeds, fence lines, etc? And what herbicides are you using for your fence lines?

I have a Honda Rancher I'd like to get a tank setup for. What size serves you guys well? Did you go boomless?

Thanks

BIL has a mid size boom (20-30ft) on a pull behind trailer that we do newer cleared ground with. I've got one of those 25 gallon jobs from Tractor Supply with an electric pump that I put in the Gator and drive around with. I also have a backpack setup that I use for the trim work.

The tank setup in the Gator does about 90% of the work very well.

I have a variety of setups but find the one I use most for this type of work is a cheapo 15 gallon with a hand held wand. I put it in the front wire rack of my Rancher. I use an old deep cycle battery for the power source thats strapped on the back rack.

I like it because its easy to lift on and off, and strap down. It washes out easy. 15 gallons is usually plenty for what I want to do at one time. I usually only mix 10 gallons. Thats quite a bit for spot spraying. The small amount lets me change chemicals often and keeps the mixture fresh. My kill all mix of chemicals is 40% Sendero, 40% surmount, 20% Remedy. The proper amount of surfactant is used. My main targets are mesquite, cedar elms, green briar and honey locusts but it will kill most everyhting weed or brush wise. The chemicals are about 2 to 3% of the mixture. If I was to use only one, Remedy is hard to beat.

Another thing I do is I catch all the remaining mix out of my big 300 gallon sprayer before I clean it out. This is usually 3 or 4 gallons of a Dicamba 2 4 d mix. I add this in the 15 gallon sprayer mix when I have some.

You can buy these small sprayers for about $65 at Atwoods. Buy an extra wand or two to have on hand. I tend to run over one or two a year. :giggle:

I have a 15 gallon I strap onto the back of my Foreman. Works great for fencerows and spot spraying. Bigger jobs I take my 500 gallon pull type with a hand wand, preferably with another man sitting on the sprayer, but I've sprayed fencerows out the window of the tractor cab a lot of times too.

Most fencelines where there aren't trees, a 15 or a 25 gal 12v pump sprayer for the back of my 4 wheeler. Has a wand and a mini boom that has valves so I can spray just one side or both sides. Use the wand for spot spraying.
I built a simple carrier for the same sprayers to go on the 3pt of the tractor in case the 4wheeler gives me trouble.
Spot spray I use combo mix of Remedy/2,4d.
I have in past, used some glyphosate on pasture fences that border the yard but found it counter productive, as the cows keep the grass under the fence chewed down anyway.

yefr_zps89861863.jpg

I have a 60 gallon Enduraplas skid sprayer i use in the honda pioneer. It is set up for boomless usually and has a wand on a reel with a 50' hose. I have electric controls i work from the seat so i just drive down the fence and can flip on and off whatever side i want to spray. I have used a few things but grazonnext hl has worked really good.

I have a variety of setups but find the one I use most for this type of work is a cheapo 15 gallon with a hand held wand. I put it in the front wire rack of my Rancher. I use an old deep cycle battery for the power source thats strapped on the back rack.

I like it because its easy to lift on and off, and strap down. It washes out easy. 15 gallons is usually plenty for what I want to do at one time. I usually only mix 10 gallons. Thats quite a bit for spot spraying. The small amount lets me change chemicals often and keeps the mixture fresh. My kill all mix of chemicals is 40% Sendero, 40% surmount, 20% Remedy. The proper amount of surfactant is used. My main targets are mesquite, cedar elms, green briar and honey locusts but it will kill most everyhting weed or brush wise. The chemicals are about 2 to 3% of the mixture. If I was to use only one, Remedy is hard to beat.

Another thing I do is I catch all the remaining mix out of my big 300 gallon sprayer before I clean it out. This is usually 3 or 4 gallons of a Dicamba 2 4 d mix. I add this in the 15 gallon sprayer mix when I have some.

You can buy these small sprayers for about $65 at Atwoods. Buy an extra wand or two to have on hand. I tend to run over one or two a year. :giggle:
What advantage do you see by having the tank on the front rack?

Similar to others - 15 gal Fimco from TSC strapped to the back of the 4-wheeler. It gets the job done. I like the extra long hose so I can get hard to reach spots that the wheeler can't get to.

I have a purpose made tank for the back rack of a 4 wheeler. It has a leg moulded into it which goes down the starboard side, this forms a sump so that when the tank gets low your pickup is down in the bottom of this sump so if where you are spraying and the bike is not level you still get to drain the tank completely, very handy. I'll try to remember to get a photo. They are very expensive new however I picked this one up very cheaply at an auction.

Ken

55 gallon drum on a carry all. 12v 4 gallon per minute pump, all on an 8n Ford. I much prefer grazon next HL for spot spraying. Fencerows are something you have to stay on top of. I even go around the edge of woods.

Sorry Steve, brain fart there. Not sure what I was thinking. The tanks is on the rear rack, the battery on the front. The battery kinda balances out the load. The power cord wraps around the gas tank vent hose which puts the toggle switch right by the handle bars. The 15 gallon sprayer is about all you want on a small machine like the rancher when going over the creek banks and terraces.

Same pretty much, ATV sprayers.

We also have a Ranger mist sprayer rigged in the back of an old 6x4 Gator. That gets used more for spraying open pastures.

I use generic Grazon (2, 4 D and Picloram), works well for pasture, 2 4 D takes care of most weeds, and Picloram will take care of the woody rose/thorn bush crap that likes to grow here, while leaving the grass unharmed.

I use Glyphosate if I just want to burn it all to the dirt. I don't like to use it for fence rows, you can run into erosion issues if you get carried away.

When we spray our hay fields, we just rent a boom sprayer.

55 gallon drum on a carry all. 12v 4 gallon per minute pump, all on an 8n Ford. I much prefer grazon next HL for spot spraying. Fencerows are something you have to stay on top of. I even go around the edge of woods.
Are you using a Fimco pump? If so, what is the psi? The 4 gallon 12v's I've seen have a much lower psi.

I have one like GB has pictured and it has the hand spray and a boom on the back. Since I have gotten this I don't use the small one on the 4 wheeler much anymore.

I have a toggle switch in the tractor for electric spray feed that I flip on every spot needed and angle the head to what is needed. I use to have a lot of tree limbs hanging over in my fields. I sprayed the lower limbs and they are no more, but the live tree is still there. The mist blower will put the spray pretty consistently 40 feet out there you just have to keep in mind what is in that area and beyond.

I use to get the spray all over me with the 4 wheeler and with this not as bad. I have been coated several times with 2-4-D Esters mixed with Remedy and kind of scary how bad it can cause cancer.

hVsC5kE.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a 40 gallon Crop Care sprayer that we put in the back of the Mule and it's the best $900 I've spent on the farm. I've had the Fimco sprayers and they all crack or pumps go out within a couple years. The spray handle they use on the Crop Care makes it easy to spray fence lines and spot spray thistles and cockleburs. We bought the boom attachment for it to spray food plots as well and it does a great job.

Latest posts