Your opinion on a good overall breed in Michigan?

Help Support CattleToday:

devuono311

Reaction score
Hey all,
Farmed a little compared to the BIG farms in our areas or what many of you may have. However, was wondering, what breed in everyones opinion was a good overall breed to raise in Michigan. Here are the key points I am looking at:

1. Low Startup as far as Calf cost.
2. Fairly easy ( Not a gimme) but easy to maintain in Michigan
3. Fair weight/Size gain to make up for overhead costs.
4. Salability, Meaning fairly easy to sell, But still make a good overall profit.

Now I know there is no "PERFECT" breed just looking for input on a common breed for a buddy and myself to get started with as a hobby.

I don't want to go out and buy an expensive breed and raise it to have to drop prices in order to sell it in the end. Any input would be well appreciated. Thanks ya'll.

devuono311":1p2otk77 said:
Hey all,
Farmed a little compared to the BIG farms in our areas or what many of you may have. However, was wondering, what breed in everyones opinion was a good overall breed to raise in Michigan. Here are the key points I am looking at:

1. Low Startup as far as Calf cost.
2. Fairly easy ( Not a gimme) but easy to maintain in Michigan
3. Fair weight/Size gain to make up for overhead costs.
4. Salability, Meaning fairly easy to sell, But still make a good overall profit.

Now I know there is no "PERFECT" breed just looking for input on a common breed for a buddy and myself to get started with as a hobby.

I don't want to go out and buy an expensive breed and raise it to have to drop prices in order to sell it in the end. Any input would be well appreciated. Thanks ya'll.

How much grass have you got?

I am guessing from your post you are talking about stockers? Or do you want a cow/calf operation? Either way can't go wrong with commercial Angus.

Little over 5 acres in one fence, just around 10 in another. Again, we're not looking at large scale right now just getting rolling.]
Just looking to start off with a few steer, being that they seem to have the highest yeild for the money. Looked into red or black angus but wasnt sure how easy or difficult they are to turn around (sell).

If you want to buy calves, finish them, and take them to the salebarn or sell sides of beef, I'd go with F1 baldies. If you were to raise some cows and calves, I would go with Herefords and use an angus bull. Herefords will be cheaper to find, are widely known for docility and black baldies will finish easy and sell well at the salebarn. I've also seen some really nice limi cows crossed with an angus bull. I've heard that limis can be more wild though (even though that's not been my experience when I drop off a bull) and you'll end up with a different type of meat (less marble, higher yield grade) to finish or to take to the salebarn.

PM me if you want some places to go look at good cross calves or cows.

Latest posts