Young stock

Help Support CattleToday:

uplandnut

Reaction score
Gentleman was coming today to freeze brand one of the colts my wife decided to keep from last year. Unfortunately for me she had to work so I was left with the job of catching the little filly who has had very little halter breaking at this point. Wife and daughter went out to catch her last night and then put her in a smaller pen with a halter overnight, to make it less of a chore when the brander showed up. Well the filly freaked out today when I got a hold of her halter and drug me around the pen for a minute before realizing I wasn't letting go. I was mud and s#^t form my chest to my boots and a goose egg the size of a softball on my shin! Once caught she led beautifully and didn't bat an eye while being freeze branded!

Unpredictable youngstock! Hope she does well at the track for all this.

uplandnut":28n5z4dq said:
Crap I didn't know we had a "fish picture" contest, I'm pretty sure I would loose anyway :) .
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=103033&start=15 enjoy ;-) (might not want the wife to see that one ;-) )

Thanks ez14 I did a little searching after I was informed I needed a fish in my picture and found it. Very nice are those the ladies of cattle today? Is there a calendar showcasing the ladies of Cattle Today? :)

uplandnut":2x92r3ed said:
Thanks ez14 I did a little searching after I was informed I needed a fish in my picture and found it. Very nice are those the ladies of cattle today? Is there a calendar showcasing the ladies of Cattle Today? :)
I dont know if the people who posted those pictures know those girls or not i was woundering

Upland I might have posted all those pictures myself but I would have made up a completely different story to go along with the pics.

TexasBred, the story is what the story is. I've never been a big fan of the wife having the yearling race horses around as I truly believe you can buy something already broke that is competitive for a fraction of the cost you have into one you raise and break yourself. Tried to help her out as she was working that day and I've still got a goose egg and swollen leg dang near 4 weeks after it happened.

Something to be said about buying or breeding youngsters that grow up in your country. We don't run a broodmare band but like to buy young horses. Bought a handful at the Babbitt Ranch sale in Arizona this past July. Haven't bought there before but have bought a lot of cattle from them and we believe in the Driftwood type of breeding for ranch horses that have to actually make a living. Try to keep one colt in each cowboys string at all times after they get a good 60 day start. They use him on suitable days and bring them along slowly becoming solid ranch horses. Cowboys are a fixed cost and we have to keep good horseflesh under them so they may as well be making them. Plus, there is a tremendous demand now for say 12-14 year old geldings, straight up in the bridle, that are off working ranches to sell to the gentleman rancher crowd. Not hard to trip those types of geldings off for $10k-15k after we've gotten 8 or 9 good years out of them on the ranch.

You bet, that's a great market for some great broke using horses, if they are as advertised. Some older gentlemen ropers went to those sales, back when, and came home with some good solid horses to team rope off of. I particularly like the Driftwood and Hancocks (blue roan's in particular), but some of the Hancocks can be a little fresh of the morning. Big stout dudes. Good stuff.

js1234":3emudfs8 said:
Try to keep one colt in each cowboys string at all times after they get a good 60 day start. They use him on suitable days and bring them along slowly becoming solid ranch horses. Cowboys are a fixed cost and we have to keep good horseflesh under them so they may as well be making them. Plus, there is a tremendous demand now for say 12-14 year old geldings, straight up in the bridle, that are off working ranches to sell to the gentleman rancher crowd. Not hard to trip those types of geldings off for $10k-15k after we've gotten 8 or 9 good years out of them on the ranch.

+1

Latest posts