If you ride young horses you should read this

Help Support CattleToday:

Horse Guy

Reaction score
Here is a small exerpt plus a link at the bottom so you can read the whole thing if you want.

When is a Horse Skeletally Mature?
Just about everybody has heard of the horse's "growth plates", and commonly when I ask them, people tell me that the "growth plates" are somewhere around the horse's knees (actually the ones people mean are located at the bottom of the radius-ulna bone just above the knee). This is what gives rise to the saying that, before riding the horse, it's best to wait "until his knees close" (i.e., until the growth plates convert from cartilage to bone, fusing the epiphysis or bone-end to the diaphysis or bone-shaft). What people often don't realize is that there is a "growth plate" on either end of every bone behind the skull, and in the case of some bones (like the pelvis, which has many "corners") there are multiple growth plates.
So do you then have to wait until all these growth plates convert to bone? No. But the longer you wait, the safer you'll be. Owners and trainers need to realize there's a definite, easy-to-remember schedule of fusion – and then make their decision as to when to ride the horse based on that rather than on the external appearance of the horse. For there are some breeds of horse – the Quarter Horse is the premier among these – which have been bred in such a manner as to look mature long before they actually are mature. This puts these horses in jeopardy from people who are either ignorant of the closure schedule, or more interested in their own schedule (for futurities or other competition) than they are in the welfare of the animal.
The Schedule of Growth-Plate Conversion to Bone
The process of converting the growth plates to bone goes from the bottom of the animal up. In other words, the lower down toward the hoofs you look, the earlier the growth plates will have fused; and the higher up toward the animal's back you look, the later. The growth plate at the top of the coffin bone (the most distal bone of the limb) is fused at birth. What that means is that the coffin bones get no taller after birth (they get much larger around, though, by another mechanism). That's the first one. In order after that:
Short pastern - top and bottom between birth and 6 months.
Long pastern - top and bottom between 6 months and one year.
Cannon bone - top and bottom between 8 months and 1.5 years
Small bones of the knee - top and bottom of each, between 1.5 and 2.5 years
Bottom of radius-ulna - between 2 and 2.5 years
Weight-bearing portion of glenoid notch at top of radius - between 2.5 and 3 years
Humerus - top and bottom, between 3 and 3.5 years
Scapula - glenoid or bottom (weight-bearing) portion – between 3.5 and 4 years
Hindlimb - lower portions same as forelimb
Hock - this joint is "late" for as low down as it is; growth plates on the tibial and fibular tarsals don't fuse until the animal is four (so the hocks are a known "weak point" - even the 18th-century literature warns against driving young horses in plow or other deep or sticky footing, or jumping them up into a heavy load, for danger of spraining their hocks).
Tibia - top and bottom, between 3 and 3.5 years
Femur - bottom, between 3 and 3.5 years; neck, between 2.5 and 3 years; major and 3rd trochanters, between 2.5 and 3 years
Pelvis - growth plates on the points of hip, peak of croup (tubera sacrale), and points of buttock (tuber ischii), between 3 and 4 years.
And what do you think is last? The vertebral column, of course. A normal horse has 32 vertebrae between the back of the skull and the root of the dock, and there are several growth plates on each one, the most important of which is the one capping the centrum. These do not fuse until the horse is at least 5 ½ years old (and this figure applies to a small-sized, scrubby, range-raised mare. The taller your horse and the longer its neck, the later the last fusions will occur. And for a male - is this a surprise? - you add six months. So, for example, a 17-hand Thoroughbred or Saddlebred or Warmblood gelding may not be fully mature until his 8th year - something that owners of such individuals have often told me that they "suspected").
Significance of the Closure Schedule for Injuries to Back and Neck vs. Limbs
The lateness of vertebral "closure" is most significant for two reasons. One: in no limb are there 32 growth plates! Two: the growth plates in the limbs are (more or less) oriented perpendicular to the stress of the load passing through them, while those of the vertebral chain are oriented parallel to weight placed upon the horse's back. Bottom line: you can sprain a horse's back (i.e. displace the vertebral physes - see Figs. 5 and 8) a lot more easily than you can displace those located in the limbs.
Here-s another little fact: within the chain of vertebrae, the last to fully close" are those at the base of the animal's neck (that's why the long-necked individual may go past 6 years to achieve full maturity - it's the base of his neck that is still growing). So you have to be careful - very careful - not to yank the neck around on your young horse, or get him in any situation where he strains his neck (i.e., better learn how to get a horse broke to tie before you ever tie him up, so that there will be no likelihood of him ever pulling back hard. For more on this, see separate article in this issue).

http://www.equinestudies.org/knowledge_base/ranger.html

Actually there are growth plates at all the joints, it happens that the knees, which are the carpal/metacarpal joint tend to be the most important ones. As far as deciding when to start a young horse in relation to the closing of the growth plates that is only important if you are going to be over-working the young horse like faturity horses and race horses, of which those are all started anyways way before proper closure of the growth plates. If you are just going to be doing some light work to saddle break a horse then it should be no consideration, I have never once even considered that in my training even though I have heard this every since I was a young lad, but I don't train any 2 year olds to be shown so we take a lot of time. There is also ample evidence to show that bone re-modeling occurs at around 2 years of age and this is important to have the bones strengthen in response to some work.

Horse Guy,
I read in another thread about how you ride/start your horses. Do you do any ground work or do you just jump on and go?

chippie":uw3254z5 said:
Horse Guy,
I read in another thread about how you ride/start your horses. Do you do any ground work or do you just jump on and go?
I have a groundwork program. Its Buck Brannaman but I havnt seen his newer videos or clinics so Im not sure if he is still teaching the same stuff.

Horse Guy":36li2wxt said:
chippie":36li2wxt said:
Horse Guy,
I have a groundwork program. Its Buck Brannaman but I havnt seen his newer videos or clinics so Im not sure if he is still teaching the same stuff.

That is interesting, is that common for those traveling clinicians to make up new methods? Wonder if the horses all decide to learn differently because the guy who sat home at night and made up a new way that he can make people think horses should be trained?

I have a groundwork program called 40ys of making a living with horses and training winners,AQHA.WPRA,PRCA.Youth rodeo as well.I worked for four world champions in three different events and have been to four AQHA finals in Calf roping and breakaway.I have two books given to me by Ray Davis. Ray wrote for the Western Horseman for 25yrs, 60's to 70's and knew a lot of people.I knew him prety well.Was a pall bearer at his funeral.He gave me the books when all the clinic guys started and he was not impressed at all.The books were the U.S.Army field manuel before 1911,And,The Classic Encyclopedia Of the Horse by Dennis Magner written in 1887.And republished in 1980,That is almost 100yrs later not many were ever out there.He went all around the N.East giving clinics on problem horses.Does that sound familiar.EVERYTHING that the clinic gurus did was in these two books just modified to fit todays equipment,from English to Western,military,and driven horses to fit the customers that go to the clinics..Like Soloman says in Ecle.There is nothiong new under the sun.I think there is actually some good information in a very few of them from what I have seen the problem is when a person go's to one or looks at a video he comes away with the attitude for some reason I know it all.And becomes an authority. Untill the day they roll you in a tarp and throw dirt in your face you will never know it all.I learn something everyday.Maby that is cause I'm just dumb.

I have actually heard recently of studies that suggest training in short intervals, as younger ages helps strengthen bones..they are talking about straight line working, not longing and said that lounging is specificaly "not good" for a young horse due to the stress of working on a small circle.

My wife has a Bachelors in Animal Science and while there are significant physical problems that do occur in horses worked to hard to often too young, most modern training programs use plenty of ground work as a solid training base. We don't get on horses until they are in the summer of their second year. Starting show horses when they are long yearlings, in my opinion, doesn't do anything for them in the long run. I would rather have a show horse win when they are 4-6 yrs old and then go on to have a successful ranch career than have a horse that wins when they are 1-3 yrs old and end up getting hurt, burned out, or stomach ulcers from being fed hot feed.