Photos-Stock Horse Show

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
Some photos from a Stock Horse show I attended afew weeks ago.

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prs ... &adjust=-1

These cattle were HOT! Brahma crossed with something else, but boy were they rowdy. We got a 15 out of 20 on our first box :D This neat, as this is only the fourth time my mare has seen cows, and I have very little experience with doing these stock horse shows.I used to team pen, but this is ALOT different!

..we lost the cow on the second box, so it knocked us out of the placings for that class. Lena, my mare was tired and I felt like I had to push her for alot of the class.

These are from the reining class..we got fourth, I was OK with that, we had a crappy back up and she was alittle unsure of the footing, but she worked well for me that day.

Fun day, thanks for letting me share
Sarah

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I looked at a bunch of pictures on that site and found it interesting from what I could see none of those horses were tied down. I saw some horses with their heads way up in the air. Two things come to mind. #1 we tie them down to keep their heads down to see the calf. #2 you have less chance of loosing teeth should your chin meet their head. With their head tied down you can just exit the front without impact. :lol:

I'm just thinking but most folks down here only tie their horses down for working cows, cutting, and roping.

Maybe some others will let us know how they do it in their area.

Very nice pictues...thank you for sharing

As for tie downs....I think it depends on who you talk to. Everyone seems to have a different opinion about using a tie down. Most folks I see or know that are working cattle, team penning, at rodeos, or at ropings seems to use a tie down.
To me, some ropers don't need a tie down, they come into the arena and they seemed relaxed, so does their horse. Then there are some ropers that come into the arena standing up in their stirups, and their horse's head is up high.

I usually use a tie down on a horse that is new to me, and do away with it when I learn where all the horse's buttons are. Kind of like driving a new vehicle for me. I will also use one in a surroundings or experience that is new for me and the horse.
The drill team that I rode with required a tie down at all times.

I didn't even use a breast collar for a long time, until one was given to me as a gift. I think they were trying to tell me something. :D

I guess it depends on your horse and what you are comfortable with.

flaboy?":haqbfq8l said:
Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I looked at a bunch of pictures on that site and found it interesting from what I could see none of those horses were tied down. I saw some horses with their heads way up in the air. Two things come to mind. #1 we tie them down to keep their heads down to see the calf. #2 you have less chance of loosing teeth should your chin meet their head. With their head tied down you can just exit the front without impact. :lol:

I'm just thinking but most folks down here only tie their horses down for working cows, cutting, and roping.

Maybe some others will let us know how they do it in their area.

Thanks for letting me share, it was a fun day and I was busting with pride over my mare, Id like to do more cow work and mabey even try some baby cuttings in the future.

As for the tiedown, this assocation that sactioned the show, SHOT(stock horse of Texas) prohibits tie downs from being used in their competition, that is why you did not see any. I agree, many heads up, Id wager its due to a quick handed rider or a resistant horse or a rider forcing a horse, particulary in a stop.

I used to use tie downs when I barrel raced and my husband uses them when roping..I beleive it is helpful for some horses in events such as those, as the horse uses it for balance and it keeps you from loosing teeth, as was mentioned.

All my horses now have no need for one, which is good, as the assocations and events I show do not allow them! :)

Of the many barrel horses I've ever owned and ridden, only one needed a tie down. She was a former calf roping horse. My observation is that tie downs in barrel racing are more the exception than the rule. I saw a demonstration several years ago (I'm not telling you how long ago ;-) ) at a barrel clinic conducted by a three-time NFR qualifier that convinced most students there that day that a tie down wasn't required equipment. JMO.

Spin, from the photos it looks like you had every reason to be proud of your mare. Nice job!

DrumRunner728":1brr7upu said:
Of the many barrel horses I've ever owned and ridden, only one needed a tie down. She was a former calf roping horse. My observation is that tie downs in barrel racing are more the exception than the rule. I saw a demonstration several years ago (I'm not telling you how long ago ;-) ) at a barrel clinic conducted by a three-time NFR qualifier that convinced most students there that day that a tie down wasn't required equipment. JMO.

Spin, from the photos it looks like you had every reason to be proud of your mare. Nice job!

Thanks DR! Shes 15 this year and she will outlive everyone..shes way to ornery,

I agree I see many BR's getting away from tie downs..I ran some of mine in them and some without them..Im of the philsphopy, if my horse needs it and its legal, Im using it.

Spin, 15 isn't old. I used to think it was, but I have 4 horses at the farm that are over the age of 16. They all act like they're going through their second childhood (guess that would be foalhood)!

My old barrel horse (the mare in my avatar photo) was a rip-snorter until the day she was put down. You want to talk about ornery? Her barn name when I bought her was "Witchie". No, I didn't change it - she had earned it! She was definitely a witch, but she was also a many time Southeastern Circuit Finals qualifier. She never wore a tie down and she ran high headed. (Interesting, but all of the horses that were trained by the lady I bought this mare from all ran high headed and they were all winners.) Witchie had super ground manners, hauled like a champion, she was all business in the arena, and for me she was that once in a lifetime horse - but you had to watch her every second. :p Bottom line, I loved her dearly.

Best of luck to you and your mare - please keep me posted on your successes!

Great pictures, those cattle just look like they had a lot of spirit in them! We don't usually tie our horses down unless the horse needs their head down to stay focused on the task at hand and not have their head way up in the air look for buddies or taking the bit and going.

DrumRunner728":1aldao9g said:
Spin, 15 isn't old. I used to think it was, but I have 4 horses at the farm that are over the age of 16. They all act like they're going through their second childhood (guess that would be foalhood)!

My old barrel horse (the mare in my avatar photo) was a rip-snorter until the day she was put down. You want to talk about ornery? Her barn name when I bought her was "Witchie". No, I didn't change it - she had earned it! She was definitely a witch, but she was also a many time Southeastern Circuit Finals qualifier. She never wore a tie down and she ran high headed. (Interesting, but all of the horses that were trained by the lady I bought this mare from all ran high headed and they were all winners.) Witchie had super ground manners, hauled like a champion, she was all business in the arena, and for me she was that once in a lifetime horse - but you had to watch her every second. :p Bottom line, I loved her dearly.

Best of luck to you and your mare - please keep me posted on your successes!

Thanks DR..my other mare is 11 and her nickname is queen of the harpies..SHE is utterly evil, Lena is just a typical woman, I can relate!

Your witchie sounds like one of them good uns..I cant stand a horse with no personality!

ArrowHBrand":ic4r3pr3 said:
Great pictures, those cattle just look like they had a lot of spirit in them! We don't usually tie our horses down unless the horse needs their head down to stay focused on the task at hand and not have their head way up in the air look for buddies or taking the bit and going.

Yep they were abit hot..my poor husband got a REALLY wild one!

Latest posts