Breaking a Young Horse.

Help Support CattleToday:

Where can I find one? I like that idea. It's like something fun and seems easier than carrying the treats in your pocket like I always do.

turn&burn92":1zoa0ix8 said:
Where can I find one? I like that idea. It's like something fun and seems easier than carrying the treats in your pocket like I always do.

You can get them at Petco, Petsmart, big chain pet stores.

What I do is have a kind of belly pack to belt around me full of treats with a zipper and open it a little so they can smell the treats, but so they can't have their noses in. Just keep your hand full with about two or three. Sliced carrots and apples work well. Make sure you have good size but not big. Cut carrots like nickel to quarter sized and apples in little pie slices.

The first thing you teach the horse is when they look away or are not in your face, they get click-treat. So they learn that shoving you around and fear isn't going to get them food.

I have some videos I will link you to in pm.

lots of great advice so far.
I want to follow up a bit on what WarriorPatriot said about desensitizing and rope.I use this so i can pasture catch any of my horses without trouble,and it works 100%.
I have a single loop from a broken lariat that they have to put their head through for a mouthful of oats.if you hold it in front of the pail the first few times they get the idea real quick.if they try to nose around it-no oats.
it doesn't take long and you can hold the loop in front of them,then you can drop the loop on their necks while the have a munch.You can use a halter instead of a rope if you prefer.I swap the pail for my hat after a while so they get used to lookin in my hat for oats when it's held out.
when I walk out to the pasture with a loop in one hand and my hat in the other I have a horse.
I took on a 4 yr old untouched stallion(pasture no pens) and after he figured out I was ok,he was stickin his head in a halter for oats on the second day.I admit I rushed it a bit cuzz he came along so fast and the first time I touched his ears with the halter the left with it-lol-but he came right back for more.Its a work in progress so we'll see what happens next.
i mention this because I don't remember seein that the mare was broke to lead and it's worked for me time and again with the horse making the decision to get caught.

Luck to you.

Well, she will lead. The owner hired me because the lady that he took the horse to to have her calmed down, is an older lady and doessn't think this is something she can do, being an older woman. He called me by suggestion of that very woman. I worked with her over the summer giving little kids riding lessons, and she told him that I was very qualified to do this job. Anyway, so she will lead and let me scratch her on the butt. She is headshy. I begin my work with her Wednsday. I am still in wonder on anything that will help her to settle. I know some people have different beliefs in how to calm a nervous horse, and I am a believer in herbs and natural remedies. But anything that you know to work, I will greatly appreciate any advise. As I have said before I have broke horses before but none that are this nervous about people. Thanks

can't say I've ever used an additive to calm a horse...the only remedy I have for a nervous horse is 1 part patience,1 part calm demeanor,and 2 parts time.
if she has never really been handled then she's bound to be on edge-she doesn't know what to expect from folks...or maybe she does and doesn't like it.If she's halter broke then she's been handled.
i haven't seen many horses that were born head shy-most were made that way...you might be gettin handed someone elses mistakes...

When I was a kid my dad bought me a filly that had come from King Ranch. Her owner was a big cattle person here and used a "well known horse trainer". Seems his idea was to beat them into submission with a bull whip. Didn't work and when my saw her and how she had been beaten he talked the man out of her. I could not get my hands anywhere closer to her head than her shoulder. Getting to be able to touch her was a chore in itself. She had to build trust in me. I spent a lot of time just petting and rubbing her. Everyday I would work my hand closer and closer to her head. Eventually I could rub her nose and face but if you made a move to her ears, look out! It took me months and Cody said, patience and time. She finally came around and I had that horse 30 years and sure wish I had another like her.

The woman that did the halter breaking part is very good and patient with horses. She is an older woman and couldnt break her. She has never been hit. I think you are right though, LOTS of time.

I think you'll do a fine job if you just take yer time and let her make the advances...don't force yerself on her at first,let her come to you.she'll figure it out for herself and then you'll prolly be surprised how fast she comes along after that.

luck to you.

turn&burn92":31ijayeg said:

Why use treats instead of the usual rubbing, petting, and "good girl/boy"? I fell into that trap, and discovered all it got me was a horse that was more interested in the treats that in what I was asking. I have not used treats for training since then.

msscamp":1vrnymkd said:
turn&burn92":1vrnymkd said:

Why use treats instead of the usual rubbing, petting, and "good girl/boy"? I fell into that trap, and discovered all it got me was a horse that was more interested in the treats that in what I was asking. I have not used treats for training since then.

I agree with msscamp here on the treats for what it is worth. I do not condone treats for training.

flaboy":24zndlj8 said:
msscamp":24zndlj8 said:
turn&burn92":24zndlj8 said:

I agree with msscamp here on the treats for what it is worth. I do not condone treats for training.

My horse and I are currently in training and follow this theory. Our instructor of many years of experience believes the horse will act much as msscamp said. I do on the other hand just bring treats to her from time to time, with no purpose other than to just give her one.

msscamp":3f7w4uyy said:
turn&burn92":3f7w4uyy said:

Hence why the FIRST THING you teach that horse is begging, nosing and shoving WILL NOT get it treats. Then you shouldn't have that problem if you start off with the correct leadership. When the horse turns away and doesn't pay attention to the food, then you reward it. Done correctly, you shouldn't have problems.

As far as using treats vs. anything else is it's a constant reliable reinforcing reward. Horses like food better than saying good job everytime or a rub. It keeps them focused.

Keeps em focused on food instead of the job at hand.

Me thinks somebody listened to Parelli a bit too much.

flaboy":3fg0rlkq said:
Keeps em focused on food instead of the job at hand.

Me thinks somebody listened to Parelli a bit too much.

Agreed.

I won't withhold food as punishment or use it for rewards -- not for horses, not for dogs, cows, or cats. They get food because I want to keep them alive and healthy. That's it.

I don't like the Parelli's, nor listen to what they say. I believe I stated that earlier in this thread.

And the horse has to focus on getting the job done before it gets the reward, so yes, they are focused on the job.

Clicker training isn't all about the food once they learn something. Then you stop the food and they will do what they learned through it. I don't clicker with my one horse anymore because she's learned. Now I ask her to do it, she does it. No food for thought. It worked wonders for her staying put at mounting blocks though.

It's good in the right hands, but I wouldn't put it over good old ground work with respect traditional training, because that's how I train.

If you don't like clicker training and think your horse will become a disrecpectful pushover, then don't do it.

It's going absolutely amazing... I have been with her about 5 times now and she instantly bonded with me. I have gotten her trust quicker than I expected to. She's responded well to everything I have done. I put a blanket on her and a bareback pad with a cinch and a saddle and it don't faze her at all. She acts like no big deal. She's coming along fast. But I am still not doing anythinng too majot as long as she's doing so well I am testing her a little more each day. When she didnt seem to mind the saddle I leaned over it with some of my body weight and she didnt move and just stood there like it had been done a thousand times before. So it's going very well.

Good! That's great to hear! Just stay where she's comfortable like you're doing. Get that good solid foundation on her. Any pictures or anything?

turn&burn92":92yupua8 said:
Well, she will lead. The owner hired me because the lady that he took the horse to to have her calmed down, is an older lady and doessn't think this is something she can do, being an older woman. He called me by suggestion of that very woman. I worked with her over the summer giving little kids riding lessons, and she told him that I was very qualified to do this job. Anyway, so she will lead and let me scratch her on the butt. She is headshy. I begin my work with her Wednsday. I am still in wonder on anything that will help her to settle. I know some people have different beliefs in how to calm a nervous horse, and I am a believer in herbs and natural remedies. But anything that you know to work, I will greatly appreciate any advise. As I have said before I have broke horses before but none that are this nervous about people. Thanks

You seem determined to find a calming agent for your horse and used correctly they help,I use some on a horse I shoe.
Going slow with this horse cannot be over emphasized,the slower you go the more progress you will make,let the horse make friends with you,not you make friends with the horse,that filly will decide wheter she likes you or not,give her time to decide................good luck

PS...........http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_search_results.html

Latest posts