Young colt

Help Support CattleToday:

My first horse loved deep water and swimming. You could not keep her out of it. Sometimes I could see something's head swimming across the lake down there and thought it was an alligator (Texas). It was her head. In another pasture she lived with a young stallion to pasture breed as she was hard to settle. There she would go, swimming across the pond and the young stud wanting to follow so badly so he would go in the water but could not figure out how to swim. So he would wade out then rear and hop on his hind legs across the pond like the white stallions of the Spanish Riding School.

This one used to swim across the trinity river with me on it (50 years ago).
wayit5.jpg

My brother and I started pretty young. Hell no we didn't wear shoes. Lucky to afford pants. ;)

wayit9.jpg

I started my own 4 kids off young too but it didn't stick. They all grew up city folks. (mom's holding the baby in this pic..she wouldn't let me hold him on the horse)

twinsandpapa_0002.jpg

Good looking horses and kids.

They either get the horse gene or they don't. Both my mom and dad had the horse gene. None of my brothers and sisters did. Although my sister would climb out the window with me at night with apples and rope halters and ride other people's horses all over the hills.

Did you ever chase fireflies on horseback with butterfly nets?

Latest posts