Young LH Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

SSGenetics":6tgq79uh said:
Ryan":6tgq79uh said:
Taurus":6tgq79uh said:
. It's funny that we're try to change their looks into something that we want them to be....

Isn't That the name of the breeding game? To find a breed you like and improve it the best way you know how? I don't believe I have changed the type of cattle Longhorns are, But have added more to them and gotten them to that weight quicker. Although these bulls for their age do not have a lot of horn, I do believe looking through my herd that all of my animals have more than adequate horn for their body size. Especially when compared to the true history of the breed and not the huge horns of recent years.

Ryan

Ryan, don't pay too much attention to Taurus. He doesn't seem to know much about breeding cattle....

Certainly some of the beefier LH bull calves I've seen. Well done! :tiphat:
Feeling love of Taurus I see? Considered yourself a foe.

Taurus":7cu5gvi3 said:
SSGenetics":7cu5gvi3 said:
Ryan":7cu5gvi3 said:
Isn't That the name of the breeding game? To find a breed you like and improve it the best way you know how? I don't believe I have changed the type of cattle Longhorns are, But have added more to them and gotten them to that weight quicker. Although these bulls for their age do not have a lot of horn, I do believe looking through my herd that all of my animals have more than adequate horn for their body size. Especially when compared to the true history of the breed and not the huge horns of recent years.

Ryan

Ryan, don't pay too much attention to Taurus. He doesn't seem to know much about breeding cattle....

Certainly some of the beefier LH bull calves I've seen. Well done! :tiphat:
Don't pay too much to SSGenetics. He doesn't seem to know much about breeding cattle.....or the breeds.

:lol2: :lol2: Fight fire with fire, right?

Forget the horns and everything else, a couple of the better looking bulls I've seen posted here, in a while! period. Nice job with your breeding program.

Alan.

Ryan, I always enjoy seeing your cattle. Thanks for sharing the photos.

My 2 cents, if someone wants to be really historically correct about longhorn type, they were rangy cattle with longer than average horns that went every which way. They were not the extreme lengths that some breeders are producing today.

I wouldn't mind seeing any of Ryan's cattle in my pasture. Colorful, pretty horns with a bit of meat on their bones : ) My one and only Longhorn was that type.

Thank you for compliments SSGenetics, Alan and chip pie.

chippie, you are exactly right. The "true" historical longhorns were 800 lbs, with about 35-40" of horn. Rangy, could travel half way up the country and still gain weight when they got to Kansas or wherever they were going. There they were used for beef. Much different world we live in today than that of the "historical" or "traditional" times of the longhorns.

Thanks again for the compliments. Maybe since it is starting to get cold (cold for me anyways, it was 34 this morning), I will be in the office a little more and be able to frequent the boards a little more often.

Ryan

Running Arrow Bill":c4dtdvey said:
Taurus":c4dtdvey said:
is that a typical thing for them being have small horns as yearlings?

Only if you breed for "beef" and not for total package. Our Longhorns usually have 30" at 12 to 18 months old. Our bulls have horns ranging between 75 and 96" as 5 to 8 year olds. One of our 20 month old heifers had 53" total horns at the TLBAA Horn Showcase this month.

If one of our animals doesn't have horns 24" by 12 months old...they are possible candidates for cross-breeding service and/or the Sale Barn.

By the way, we also have some great bodied Longhorns with nice horns too. However, we have only kept one "beef type" Longhorn for special breeding uses (e.g., cross-breeding or freezer beef).

Check out our website for our photos. runningarrowlonghorns dot com

No offense Ryan or similar breeders. You do have some great looking beefy animals!

Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

I think long horns are awesome......just wish the sale barn thought so......great looking bulls :cboy:

Latest posts