young calf scouring?

Help Support CattleToday:

slyfarmgirl

Reaction score
I have a bull calf that was born Wed. am. All went well with the birth. Calf nursed right away. Mom has lots of milk. This morning he has light yellow very runny stool. He was given a shot of Selenium and a shot of A & D. All of our cows are Scourguarded and have been for a few years. I did give him a cooci tab. Just looking for some advice. Vet is out on a call so thought I'd go to the next best place.

If it persists get some serious scour stopper in him. I like Septra DS others like SMZ (same stuff different name) there are dozens of scour treatments, get a good one and use it. We hadn;t had scours in many years and this year we got hit hard in one pasture. A week old calf got 4 liters of ringers IV 4 times over a week before he finally started coiming around, that was on top of being treated for scours. I had forgotten just how fast scours can really take a calf down.

Keep a close eye on him as Dun said, if they go downhill it happens fast.

FWIW, last year we had a set of twins out of a heavy milking cow, and both of them showed up with bright yellow, very runny "scours" a day or two after birth. I immediately called my vet, and he advised that colostrum has some laxative effect to it, and also causes of the bright yellow color of the poop. Apparently since this cow milks so heavy, both calves were a little "OD'd" on it. Sure enough, it cleared up on its own. Hope your case goes the same way.

The vet returned my call - said it sounds like scours but it may be caused by stress or change in diet or lots of milk - suggested to keep an eye on him and hit him with meds if he starts to look like he is going downhill. He figures it might clear up if he is nursing well. We have a nasty spring storm here today and of course the wind is going right into the calf shelters. Lots of fun!

Gave the calf meds as suggested by vet. I did have to give electrolytes one day. He never quit sucking. He is doing much better now and he is running around with his tail in the air. I will put him out of the shed now and keep an eye on him. It has been cold and damp here so I hope he does okay outside.

Latest posts