Young bull

Help Support CattleToday:

georgiabob

Reaction score
This bull is around 18 months. Aside from his color what are his flaws? There are areas i think he's lacking but i'd like to hear opinions.

Attachments

• FA798561-D67F-449E-84F4-C23043082CB8.jpeg
    FA798561-D67F-449E-84F4-C23043082CB8.jpeg
    653.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 1368E4B9-C08C-420B-83B2-73A726C8219C.jpeg
    1368E4B9-C08C-420B-83B2-73A726C8219C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
  • 7EF87231-2EB5-4954-88FF-F2995D1BE4BA.jpeg
    7EF87231-2EB5-4954-88FF-F2995D1BE4BA.jpeg
    750.2 KB · Views: 61
I agree on the narrow. I bought him at a price where i knew i could run him through a sale and get my money back and i'm using him as a terminal cross just for this year. He has gained a lot since i got him in january but you can't feed width into one. I bought the young bull in one of the pictures at the same time and he looked stunted to me but i figured i could put him in the freezer if he didn't fill out. He's keeping his nads for now. I think he'll be kind of medium framed but better proportioned when he reaches 18 months. I also don't love the hooves on the older bull.

If Murry's bull is tall enough to breed, I would use that bull over this one. He shows natural muscling.
I did not buy that other bull gal.

Doing much research b4 I buy anything!
IF I even buy anything at all. I'm pretty happy with my hereford for now. The only thing I don't like is the occasional horns.

This is the bull I'm using now. 4 plus years old. Last BSE he was 1650 or 1750lbs. He don't get fed any different than anything else.
Screenshot_20220321-205901_Gallery.jpg

I did not buy that other bull gal.

Doing much research b4 I buy anything!
IF I even buy anything at all. I'm pretty happy with my hereford for now. The only thing I don't like is the occasional horns.

This is the bull I'm using now. 4 plus years old. Last BSE he was 1650 or 1750lbs. He don't get fed any different than anything else.
View attachment 15335
I'll probably either run a hereford or ai with one in a couple of years. I'm waiting for the last calf from the hereford bull i used last year now.

Somebody thought enough of him to brand him....you may be using him for a terminal bull, but he's right the opposite..

People don't seem to understand how much money a sorry assed bull like this costs you. He will sire hard doing offspring that get discounted and you will develop a reputation as selling poor cattle. The buyers remember.

No idea what your situation is but if you don't have many cattle consider AI or partner up with a neighbor who calves in a different season to safe costs.

"He will sire hard doing offspring that get discounted and you will develop a reputation as selling poor cattle. The buyers remember."

Yeah... I'm pretty sure that for all the years I sold cattle through the local salebarns, the buyers had no idea who I was, which calves were mine, nor knew or remembered where those good quality calves came from. YMMV. Hell, most of the time, you couldn't even get the ringman to announce that they were fully-vaccinated, weaned, and bunk-broke.

That's my take on that, other than when I was able to sell directly to a local order buyer - who knew what we had, how they were cared for - and knew, after buying them for a couple years... that our calves never got sick. Sure hated when that whole Eastern Livestock debacle put her out of business.

People don't seem to understand how much money a sorry assed bull like this costs you. He will sire hard doing offspring that get discounted and you will develop a reputation as selling poor cattle. The buyers remember.

No idea what your situation is but if you don't have many cattle consider AI or partner up with a neighbor who calves in a different season to safe costs.
I only have a few and sell direct to individuals. If i wanted to raise sale barn cattle around here i'd have to have angus, baldies or brangus.

Latest posts