Yellow or Lime Sorghum Sudan ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Applied manure in early spring, grazed once, burned it down, and no tilled in a SS mix. It was yellow are first but I blamed cool nights. It is now lime green since the weather warmed, but I am thinking some sulfate is needed. Have you been able to grow good SS in killed sod w/o commercial fertilizer?

We generally try to put what we think you need at or before planting. I generally put about 100 pounds of n to acre. Those cutting hay will generally put another 50 or so per cutting.
Plants can be 6 foot high with big dark green leaves. And plant's 30 foot away were the spreader missed may only be a foot high and yellow. Very fertilizer hungry grass. If it's not to tall sling some on it. If it's very big and it's hot , liquid fertilizer can burn it pretty bad.

Dogs and Cows":1hnxdet1 said:
fence...do you fertilize every time after you graze the SS as well? I am doing pearl millet this summer and just grazed a section and fertilized with nitrogen. Wasn't sure I needed to...but I did. Do you notice a difference between haying and grazing with regards to fertilizer needs? Thanks!

Tim
I generally just fertilize in the spring and again in the fall for oats. I've never hayed until this year. Probably never will again. So I'm just repeating what I've heard when I say yes you need to fertilize more when taking hay off the field. It's been my experience millet doesn't require near the fertilizer hybrid Sudan does.

Just remember that when you make hay from a piece of ground you are taking the nutrients with you when to haul the hay out of the field.

Yes.....Sorta. In the fall plant Austrian Winter Peas, no fert., just the peas. In the spring, as soon as you can get into the field and not do too much soil compacting, run the shredder over them then roll them into the soil. When the weather warms, plant your SS crop. Sit back and watch the results.

Latest posts