Yellow Jackets

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
Is it just my house or are the yellow jackets bad this year for other people? I got popped five times week before last when I was cleaning windows outdoors. Started looking and there were several nests around the eaves of the house. I got some spray to take care of them. I swear, though, now they are out to get me. I opened the front door and they were building a next right in the middle of the door frame. Like they are waiting to get revenge...

Sprayed five more nests yesterday, that makes ten in a week's time. We always have a few nests, but really????

Haven't seen many. Year before last is when we were over run with them then last year they were just a few.

I know they are good natural predators, but I don't care to be the prey... I had two welts that lasted for several days. I haven't been stung in a long time. I guess I was making up for lost time.

Maybe because it's been so dry here??? We are really parched. Rain all around us and none here. I guess we aren't living right.

Lammie":1rr4idgw said:
Maybe because it's been so dry here??? We are really parched. Rain all around us and none here. I guess we aren't living right.

Lammie...those are probably what my dad always called "Guinea Wasps". Small striped and hurts bad when they sting. Yellow jackets live in the ground. But Yes...we've had a lot of them as well.

seems like every insect has doubled or tripled this year,, im seeing lightnin' bugs again and plenty of frogs ...there ought to be a sloosh of june bugs

I'm in constant battle with the nasty buggers. A couple of years ago I was on my dozer clearing out a fence line when i dug up a big nest. They stung me maybe 30 times before I could get the dozer shut down and get out of range. I got pretty sick at my stomach and my joints ached for a copule of days. Now I look for their holes and gas'em followed by a match to burn'em out.

Make a paste of Adolfs meat tenderiser and water.. Spread the paste on the sting.. It seems to nullify the poison..

Tape a old penny to the sting it will quit hurting in a little bit and there won't be a welt in a few hours. For those running dozers in yellow jacket country tie survey flaging all over your machine tie it to the grill in front of the radiator so it will blow, and any other place you can.

Thanks, everyone. I didn't know the nest was there, it was in an ornamental candle holder we have on the front porch, inside the shade. Hose bumped it and they got me good before I even saw them. I took a benadryl and slep for a couple hours. Sore for a couple of days.

Bugs don't usually bite me, except for those things... I don't normally get mosquito bit... I guess that means I'm not too sweet! Ants like me, though, so maybe I am.

Lammie":2gexgmkm said:
You can't be drier than we were last year... :p Maybe you need to get you some scorpions to keep you mind off the wasps. :lol:

Lammie":2q7tkipl said:
Thanks, everyone. I didn't know the nest was there, it was in an ornamental candle holder we have on the front porch, inside the shade. Hose bumped it and they got me good before I even saw them. I took a benadryl and slep for a couple hours. Sore for a couple of days.

Bugs don't usually bite me, except for those things... I don't normally get mosquito bit... I guess that means I'm not too sweet! Ants like me, though, so maybe I am.

Lammie...the critters stung my wife 4 or 5 times after she just bumped a chair on the front porch. We seldom go out there so they had plenty of time to build and multiply.

Vette, I'll take that Pepsi challenge. It's dry. I mean dry. I haven't had any meaningful rain since, oh, early May. That's stretching it. It's hard to tell when you don't have a rain gauge. It will rain where I work and at home, ten miles away, nothing. I don't think we are living right.

TB, we use the front porch. I knew there was a small nest next to the gutter, but the one on the patio furniture was a shocker to say the least. I've never been stung more than once at a time. I had big welts. Couldn't lay on that side that night.

Deodorant will help it, too. And in a pinch, and this sounds funny, but Prep H will do the trick for the immediate pain and swelling. I guess if it works on the 'roids, it would take care of that.

Don't ask me how I know... :shock:

Latest posts