Loveable Old Yellow Labs

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Does anyone own one of those dogs that everything seems to like? I have a 13 year old male yellow lab that everything here on the farm seems to love. I turn him out in the pasture with the bulls every day in the morning and put him back into his kennel at night. I have an 18 month old Jersey bull that has taken up with this dog. He follows him every where and they lay down next to each other to snooze in the sun. The big herd bull doesn't mind the dog at all and they do the old nose to nose sniff whenever the dog is turned out into the pasture. The herd bull will not tolerate him near his feed. Treats him like another cow and butts him out of the way. Dog has learned not to bother the bull when he is dining.

All of the cows seem to like him but one limo cow that won't let him get close. The others don't mind if he walks among them or lays down beside them.

We have a pet rooster named Rojo that sleeps in the kennel with the dog. The rooster gets bent out of shape if the dog leaves him along. The rooster will cackle and follow him around and sometimes will sit on his back if the dog lays down.

The old dog is almost deaf and is completely blind in one eye. His days are few and I know that every animal on the farm will miss him when his time finally comes.

What a nice story...what a wonderful dog! :)

Alice

Hoss, there is something about old dogs. We have a old black lab that rules the roost here. My wife goes to bed early and I usually stay up and watch a ball game. Sometimes the old lab lays at the foot of the stairs and whines until I turn off the tv and go to bed.

john250":25jj4r30 said:
Don't wait too long before you find a lab pup.
And sincere sympathy on your old friend.

I agree completely - I'm sure glad that my Chocolate lab did her teaching before she died this summer. I can't imagine my 2 year old yellow lab without her manners.

I had a black lab when the kids were growing up. Now this dog would push ice to fetch ducks in the winter. During the summer the kids would go to the creek swimming. The kids would complain that they couldn't get Max to go swimming with them. He had a spot in the shade where he would lay and watch the kids. When I went with them he would jump right in but if it was just the kids he was on guard duty and nothing would sway him from his duty.
Dave

Latest posts