Wasps / Yellow Jackets

Help Support CattleToday:

There are fewer of the nasties buzzing the baits this morning, so I'm thinking my spray can caused some damage last night. :) Now, if I could just find the ground-nesters . . . .

Kathie in Thorp":146h1m56 said:
There are fewer of the nasties buzzing the baits this morning, so I'm thinking my spray can caused some damage last night. :) Now, if I could just find the ground-nesters . . . .
Walk around real slow barefoot and stomp your feet. You'll find them. Might me hard to mark their holes while you're running away from them though

I use soapy water to kill wasps . It seems like if you don't pay them any attention they won't bother you .. my dad says they can smell if your scared . I think he just wanted to see me get stung ...about a month ago there was a red wasp nest on the swing set It had 8 or 10 on it . I weed eated around it with no problem .. my wife made one pass on the mower and got stung 3 times ...

Jogeephus":2xj2j8xh said:
I'd rather run upon five snakes as I would a yellow jacket's nest. I hate those things.
If you would turn your attention to spraying those yellow jackets with a toxic substance, you might actually accomplish something worthwhile. :nod:

Am I ever going to be permitted to look at your post you told me not to look at?
It really makes a person feel bad not only not being invited to the party, but explicitly told to stay away.
:cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :( :(

Yellow jackets are the worse have to scrap them off as they are biting and stinging at the same time.
I with Joe on the snakes, I can't outrun yellowjackets.

JSCATTLE":2ocrm050 said:
I use soapy water to kill wasps . It seems like if you don't pay them any attention they won't bother you .. my dad says they can smell if your scared . I think he just wanted to see me get stung ...about a month ago there was a red wasp nest on the swing set It had 8 or 10 on it . I weed eated around it with no problem .. my wife made one pass on the mower and got stung 3 times ...

Your Dad was right. I think they feel the vibration of fear, but smell may be a part of it too.
If you just stay calm and relaxed they will leave you alone-usually.
My wife will wipe out a wasp nest, but if one or two are just among her flowers she doesn't want them killed. Says they are eating bugs, and I guess they are.

Yellow jackets are just evil. They hurt the worst.

JSCATTLE":3nvfvzy9 said:

I agree with your Dad. I think most animals can also sense fear or nervousness in humans.

fitz

I agree, wasp don't bother me and I don't worry about walking around with them in the air ( I still spray every nest I find). But yellow jackets are plain mean, nothing gets my heart pumping and me waving my hat around quicker than a loan yellow jacket buzzing around me.

Great I'm posting late night in bed, I know what I'll dream of tonight.... I'll probably be in the dog house in the morning for swatting my wife in the middle of the night in her sleep.

Alan

Wasps and yellow jackets sting, not bite. The reason there is no stinger left behind is that their stingers are like hypodermic needles, smooth not barbed. The honeybee has a barbed stinger that pulls ot leave a pulsating venom sac. The honeby bee dies after stinging, the wasps and yellow jackets do not. They can sting repeatedly.

CHHSFFA":1vnk0xap said:
Wasps and yellow jackets sting, not bite. The reason there is no stinger left behind is that their stingers are like hypodermic needles, smooth not barbed. The honeybee has a barbed stinger that pulls ot leave a pulsating venom sac. The honeby bee dies after stinging, the wasps and yellow jackets do not. They can sting repeatedly.

Not only can they sting repeatedly, they do. :help:

I got stung by a Red Wasp last Tuesday.. Little bugger lit on my stomach,I didn't see it and put my arm on it. Wasps do not like being hugged. :shock: I got meat tenderizer on the sting right away,so that took out the poison,but the place itched soo bad I was taking pain pills to sleep! The pills from my cancer surgery! and was taking allergy pills and had a wet tea bag on it... I still have a hole and a rash circle the size of an old silver dollar.. If I get bitten by one again I'm calling 911. I've been bitten by lots of things lots of times,but I did not like this reaction.. :hide:

peg4x4":20bg9k1o said:
I got stung by a Red Wasp last Tuesday.. Little bugger lit on my stomach,I didn't see it and put my arm on it. Wasps do not like being hugged. :shock: I got meat tenderizer on the sting right away,so that took out the poison,but the place itched soo bad I was taking pain pills to sleep! The pills from my cancer surgery! and was taking allergy pills and had a wet tea bag on it... I still have a hole and a rash circle the size of an old silver dollar.. If I get bitten by one again I'm calling 911. I've been bitten by lots of things lots of times,but I did not like this reaction.. :hide:
Might want to talk to your doc about an epi-pen (epinephrine) because of your reaction

CHHSFFA":hsycxvzh said:

Yellow Jackets bite as well they will clamp down and go to work with the business end.
Many a person has called a a guinea wasp a yellow jacket they are not in fact they are sissy's and not in the same league.

"The guinea wasp is often confused with the yellow-jacket because of similar black and yellow markings (Figure 8). It is probably encountered more than any other paper wasp. It will nest under mailboxes, propane tank tops, above doorways, under decks and porches; on playground equipment and in shrubbery and brush piles. The nest is usually small (20 wasps) and is attached by a single pedicel".

peg4x4":3aufgmpb said:

Peg4X4 -- Your reaction was the same I had recently. I didn't use my epi pen, because I was still breathing okay. But, yes, get an Rx for the epi-pen!

lavacarancher":323d09d1 said:
I didn't know yellow jackets bit. I guess I never looked as they were stinging the heII out of me. They may also bite but I can assure they sting as well.
You've never seen them land on a freshly skinned animal and had them bite of chunks of the meat?

As a beekeeper, I get stung on occasion. Swell too sometimes. A quick and easy way to reduce the pain and swelling is an apsrin applied to the site of the sting. Crush the asprin, mix to a paste with water and apply to the sting. Cover with a bandaid since the white paste will stand out like a sore thumb. Hubby uses a cotton ball to apply. I just use the finger. Works reall well.

As CP says, honey bees are the only ones to leave the stinger behind. The rest can sting as many times as they want and live another day.

To get rid of hanging nests, hubby uses a tiger torch or a propane hand held torch in the late evening once the sun has started to set. They will all be in the nest at that time. Works like a charm.

As for traps, 2litre pop bottles work great. Add a wire and hang in a tree. Put some simple syrup in the bottle with vinegar and they fly in and can not get out.

If you have a hornet problem too, in the spring they consume syrup but in the fall soft cat food, will bait them. They are carnivors by nature.

Finally, there are two types of reactions when it comes to stings. One is a localized allergic reaction. This is the local swelling, itchy and pain. The other is the anaphalatic reaction. Localized reactions do not require an epi pen, but benadryl is always good to keep on hand, and keep some in the vehicle at all times just in case. The problem is, one never knows when a sting will become anaphalatic. As a beekeeper I keep a pen in my suit at all times, and benadryl in the trucks. Just never can tell.
Some beestings which are local reactions will last for several days. One also needs to be carefull with stings. A sting can start a staf infection which can get pretty serious. Tell tale signs are a puss spot at the injections site....clean up and keep an eye on it. However, when a red line starts to show, or the infection gets hot to the touch, seek medical help.