yearling bull weight

Help Support CattleToday:

Annie

Reaction score
Hi,I have 3 yearling reg. angus bull calves that I would like to sell and I am concerend with there yearling weights. 1st calf born 2-6-05, bw 89, ww 780. yr.w 960,2nd calf, born 2-8-05, bw 85, ww 800, yr. weight 1030, 3rd calf, born 2-27-05. bw 72, ww740, yr. weight 890. Had them seamen tested today and all are good to go. Decideded to get their yr. weight and we were shocked that they hadnt done better. We odviously need to change our feeding program once they are weaned, we have just been feeding them very good quality grain hay,(all thy can eat). Does anyone have any suggestions? These calves are out of well bred cows that were ai'd to low birth weight bulls. Do you think we will be able to sell them? We have a few neighbors that raise reg. angus and feed their yearling bulls in feedlots and they gain alot more but not sure how they do when turned out with the cows.

Those bulls that are fed so much and look so fat and shiny will lose 200-300 lbs when you turn them out with a bunch of cows and they usually cant finish the breeding. I would much rather buy bulls fed the way you do, than fed to be so fat and shiny----they need to be able to work

I agree with stocky, nothing makes a farmer more upset than to have a bull melt down on him when he turns them out. My friend bought such a bull and he was sure sick. Most good farms around here give their bulls from 5-9lbs a day. I wouldn't think that would be over doing it any.

For me, the trick is to give them enough feed (grain or forage) for them to express their genetic merit without putting on too much fat.

Feeding for growth is one thing. Think high quality roughage.

Feeding for finish is another. Think carbohydrates.

You're calves only gained a little over 1 pound per day from weaning to yearling. I like for them to gain about 2-3 lbs. per day.

I agree with MikeC. I would give them just enough supplement to show genetic potential. You should be able to achieve this by periodically weighing the bulls (ie once a month) to see if you are feeding too much grain (>4.0 ADG) or too little (<2.0 ADG). The customer will almost always select the higher growth (bigger) bull, even if the calf is more fat than substance. However if you overfeed you might not have many repeat buyers, it will be easy to sell the first one and hard to sell anymore to him.

Annie":1yz6pgin said:
Hi,I have 3 yearling reg. angus bull calves that I would like to sell and I am concerend with there yearling weights. 1st calf born 2-6-05, bw 89, ww 780. yr.w 960,2nd calf, born 2-8-05, bw 85, ww 800, yr. weight 1030, 3rd calf, born 2-27-05. bw 72, ww740, yr. weight 890. Had them seamen tested today and all are good to go. Decideded to get their yr. weight and we were shocked that they hadnt done better. We odviously need to change our feeding program once they are weaned, we have just been feeding them very good quality grain hay,(all thy can eat). Does anyone have any suggestions? These calves are out of well bred cows that were ai'd to low birth weight bulls. Do you think we will be able to sell them? We have a few neighbors that raise reg. angus and feed their yearling bulls in feedlots and they gain alot more but not sure how they do when turned out with the cows.

Yes, you'll be able to sell them, but you probably won't be happy with what you get. I don't know how many times I've heard the comments shown here about not wanting a fat bull. But when the bulls come through the ring, the bigger, well grown out, even fat bulls, will bring more $$ than smaller, lighter bulls.

I don't know where you are, but many states have bull test stations affiliated with a university. If there's one you can get to, that's what I'd suggest. Those operations keep animal nutritionists on staff. They feed a blanced ration, watch their health, and often have bull sales at the end of the test.

I have a list of several bull test stations across the country. If you're interested, let me know and I'll see if I have one in your area. Good luck....

there are a lot of people who say they want the bulls like you sell, but when comes time to spend their money they still want to buy the one that looks better even if they only look that way for a few weeks.

Annie:
there are many alternate feeds that are relatively cheap and usually by-products of industry in your area.

we like soyhulls a lot because they are pretty cheap, there arent any serious health issues and the cows like it.

Thanks for all the responses. I am definatly doing things differently next year. The rancher we have sold bulls to in the past has been more than happy with their performance but doesnt need a bull this year. We alway sell cheaper than the big ranches as we dont have as much into them, but I see that we are going to have to make some changes, and definatly start weighing them monthly. This yr the bulls are over 100 lbs lighter than last year so I guess they just arent getting enough from the grain hay. This is a great board and a lot can be learned here!

If I missed it forgive me, but what were you feeding them. You may want to add more performance type bulls into the mix.

Scotty

Scotty":1c5n963v said:
If I missed it forgive me, but what were you feeding them. You may want to add more performance type bulls into the mix.

Scotty

Annie":1c5n963v said:
we have just been feeding them very good quality grain hay

Scotty":3v0chnlp said:
I did miss it. :oops: Feed them more grain IMO. What weights are you looking for?

Scotty

Annie":3v0chnlp said:
This yr the bulls are over 100 lbs lighter than last year so I guess they just arent getting enough from the grain hay.

:)

Many are quick to say that they want bulls that are raised on roughage, but as others have posted - well grown out bulls sell best. And if they aren't grown out, there is a risk of them not being able to perform properly when turned out with females.
Our bull test rejects any bulls that do not reach 1000# at 365 days of age adjustment. I prefer bulls to be 1200# YW (British & Continentals) and they don't have to be fat or huge frame to reach these goals.
Your cows did a great job of raising the calves, you just have to do better after they are weaned, which I realize is what you realize you need to do. Were they wormed last fall? What is great, is that you realize they didn't do well. Too many people can't see it - well, maybe you couldn't SEE it either until the scales told you, but at least you know.

Thanks Jeanne, I realize the problem now and feel horrible that I didnt earlier. The calves were wormed in the fall with pour on and we just wormed again with injectable ivomec.

Howdy,

But the weaning weights you listed... they sound great. Were those weights 205 adjusted weaning weights?

My bull which which weaned at 840# and had an adjusted ww of 786# went to the VA Bull test, and finished adjusted yearling weight of 1351# and largest rib eye on test at 15.6" adj.

So, after weaning... and you make your selection about what bulls you will finish. You will need to push them. Not fat, but there average daily gain should stay in the 3.5# a day range.

The same thing will apply to finishing heifers. They need to gain after they are weaned.

Latest posts