yearling bull price

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett":2kfarjzk said:
dieselbeef":2kfarjzk said:
so my purebred unregistered bull at a yr old could be worth 3k....
:nod: :nod: yeppers.....it could.
Watched a 70 lb yellow bull calf (dried umbilical chord still attached) sell for $600 Wednesday...........$8.57 a pound.....mind boggling

ill git some pics..purebred beefmaster..hang on...soon as it stops rainin

SPH, I quite agree with you, I'm looking at selling my yearling bull, but I was really hoping to use him for at least a year first on some younger stock... He is just a crossbred, but I look at it the same way.. he'd bring about $1800 or better as a steer at the sale barn, but he looks good and comes from a good line of calving ease, long lived cows... I put my price at $3000, which I'll admit is high, but it's no loss to me if he doesn't sell... perhaps he'll take over greater duties next year while I get rid of the Limo and look for a much more expensive, 'perfect' bull... which isn't going to be easy to do.

I sold a 15 month old Angus bull at a consignment sale last week for 4200 he was the 30th bull in the ring

for what I'm looking for its at least 6000, but that's just me those 3500 to 4000 dollar bulls are good but they aren't going to be "herd changers"

SPH":1l5pqfo4 said:
1982vett":1l5pqfo4 said:
dieselbeef":1l5pqfo4 said:
so my purebred unregistered bull at a yr old could be worth 3k....
:nod: :nod: yeppers.....it could.
Watched a 70 lb yellow bull calf (dried umbilical chord still attached) sell for $600 Wednesday...........$8.57 a pound.....mind boggling

Even the bottle calf market right now is crazy. You can easily get $500 for about any live calf right now as there are all kinds of 4-H families looking for a project and bottle calves are good investments if you turn that calf into a yearling project as well.

Tan 3 day old Charolais/ Simmi cross was listed on craigslist two days ago for $790, must have sold since it is no longer on their. If I wasnt so greedy I would sell all my calves for that as soon as their born and not risk loosing one over the summer.

double v":15aq44ex said:
for what I'm looking for its at least 6000, but that's just me those 3500 to 4000 dollar bulls are good but they aren't going to be "herd changers"

Double v your a very knowledgeable cattleman. So how can you tell if a yearling bull is going to be a herd changer? Myself I have to see his calves and how the sell before I know anything. Just because a bull looks good and has the numbers doesn't mean he'll be a herd changer, or am I missing something?
Yearling bulls that are fed and pushed, will always look better than a pasture raised bull. But the bulls DNA is still the same I would think.

After thinking about this would herd improver sound better, I have had bulls and genetically some are superior in what they bring to the table and what they are going to deliver to it's calves. yes finial product are the calves (true). But let me ask when you AI are you not looking for a herd changer/improver? I will PM you with more.

Thanks Double v. I started another thread that relates to this thread also. Just in a different direction, but it's all about the bottom line.

I think a yearling bull can have the potential to be a herd changer if you believe that the genetics in his bloodlines are solid and his phenotype fits the part as well. Obviously there is more of the unknown with a yearling bull than a proven AI sire but if you have proven performance genetics on both sides of that bull's pedigree it should hopefully take a little bit of the guesswork out of the potential that bull can have. We have a yearling bull by a proven AI sire out of one of our best cows that we're going to use as a herd sire that we're pretty excited to see what he can do. We got our second round of calves out of a bull we bred and kept semen interest on that we've seen enough to use him a lot more in coming years and excited to see what his first batch of natural calves for the program that bought full possession of of him look like. If bred the right way I think you can take some of the guesswork out of the potential a yearling has to be a herd changer but even with using the current "next big thing" AI sires it's never a slam dunk that any bull is going to be a herd changer till you start using them and see the results.

i just got a price on a reg bull thats 30 months old for a $150 pre month of age.and i was expecting $200 pre month of age.

We bought our three Charolais bulls over the past year at 2 years old for $3000 a piece. However our seller has told us he has gone up to $3500 for this year last we talked to him to see what we had. So everything can change and vary.

Big Cheese":16y7baup said:
We bought our three Charolais bulls over the past year at 2 years old for $3000 a piece. However our seller has told us he has gone up to $3500 for this year last we talked to him to see what we had. So everything can change and vary.

did you ask your bull seller if he would forego fertility testing them and let you have them cheaper?

They had already had it done...2 of them were registered and had to have it done and the other had had it done and the seller said he was very fertile. We bought the unregistered one from a different seller closer to us. These were full blood bulls....on the other thread that we have been discussing fertility test on was for a Mongrel bull that is going to be used as a fill in. Which has nothing to do with this thread.

Big Cheese":1afodead said:
They had already had it done...2 of them were registered and had to have it done and the other had had it done and the seller said he was very fertile. We bought the unregistered one from a different seller closer to us. These were full blood bulls....on the other thread that we have been discussing fertility test on was for a Mongrel bull that is going to be used as a fill in. Which has nothing to do with this thread.

really so you want your bulls tested but you don't have a problem recommending to someone else that they do not test their mongrel bull cuz hey who cares if he is actually capable of impregnating a cow as long as you paid slaughter or feeder price for him..............it has that to-do with the other thread.

3waycross":2tcpkn3o said:
Big Cheese":2tcpkn3o said:

really so you want your bulls tested but you don't have a problem recommending to someone else that they do not test their mongrel bull cuz hey who cares if he is actually capable of impregnating a cow as long as you paid slaughter or feeder price for him..............it has that to-do with the other thread.

I don't care about my bulls being tested. If the farmer I buy them from has tested them then good deal I'll look at em and say cool. I'm not going to pay myself to have one tested. The farmers my family buys our Bulls from are very reliable farmers and have been in the business for many many years. So I have no problem going with their word on if a bull is good to go or not.

well i just bought a coming 3yr old paint reg beefmaster bull for $4250 delivered.he is big and long.the big boy weighs close to 2000lbs.

don't care about my bulls being tested. If the farmer I buy them from has tested them then good deal I'll look at em and say cool. I'm not going to pay myself to have one tested. The farmers my family buys our Bulls from are very reliable farmers and have been in the business for many many years. So I have no problem going with their word on if a bull is good to go or not.[/quote]

You are paying to have them tested. The "farmer" you buy your bulls from has them tested so that you don't come back to him and claim that the bull was sterile and didn't breed your cows...and if he doesn't you're a fool for buying his bulls.

Latest posts