yearling bull price

Help Support CattleToday:

genetics on both the bull and cows side can increase weaning weights.but the botomline is the cows have to produce the milk to feed the calf.the other is to put a creep feeder out for your calves and let them eat all they want.

The thing you have to ask yourself, is the difference in value of the 700 pound calf and the 500 pound calf less than or equal to the difference in cost of a fancy name brand bull and a salebarn bull, when factored into the whole herd? If it is equal, then pick the salebarn bull, because you'll lose less when he gets out and plays in front of a log truck. Is the security of having expectations of calving ease worth anything to you? What about personal pride in having a pedigreed animal? How much are those things worth to you? It's all easy math. (Not that a craigslist bull will cost you 200 pounds a calf, but if you keep enough heifers out of craigslist bulls, you can loose 200 pounds a calf.)

I've been told by many on this site and at some of the seminars. That the difference between a great bull's calf and an average bull's calf wouldn't be more than 50 pounds at weaning. The cow has a greater impact on weaning weights than the bull.
Kathy, your pastures and hay are twice as good as mine. But your calves are close to the same size? I would of thought your weights would of been up there with Inyati and FSSR.

highgrit":3hs7dfw2 said:
I've been told by many on this site and at some of the seminars. That the difference between a great bull's calf and an average bull's calf wouldn't be more than 50 pounds at weaning. The cow has a greater impact on weaning weights than the bull.
Kathy, your pastures and hay are twice as good as mine. But your calves are close to the same size? I would of thought your weights would of been up there with Inyati and FSSR.

Not being a smarta$$ Vince but where do you thinks great cows come from? It's a process not a one night stand.

Coneally Freightliner is an excellent example of a cowmaker kind of bull.

bigbull338":2pvh94s5 said:
fitz the reason he is so big and heavy for his age is he is a retired show bull.so he is used to eating alot of feed.plus he didnt have to breed maybe 10 cows a year as a cleanup bull.he should really boost my breeding program.if he does what i think he will do ill be super happy.

Kinda reminds me of what someone else said about those kind of bulls...
i know the bulls that yall are talking about,an they never miss a meal.they keep them mud fat and will fall apart on pasture.what i call falling apart is bulls that have lived in the feed bunk.then you turn them out an they loose weight because they cant make it on pasture.
:hide:

I went to a long-yearling bull sale ... average price of around $6500 for about 160 bulls; range of $3,500 to $15,250. Most of the bulls were Red Angus, many were Black Angus; a handful were polled Hereford and an even smaller handful were Brahman-influenced.

Well all that is to high tech for me at this point 3Waycross. I buy cows that look good to me and then I sell what fails to meet my expectations. We all know just because it's supposed to be a great paring, doesn't mean the results are going to be great. And just because the cow looks good at the sale doesn't mean it's going to be good In our pastures. I only keep about 1 out of every 4 cows that I buy. But our heifers that we keep are getting better and better each year. So that's a good sign in my opinion. I'll be the first to tell you, I'd rather be lucky than good. And that I have a lot to learn. But I'm not afraid to ask for advice or help. And I do appreciate the help.

highgrit":u4qswvay said:
Highgrit, we have real winters here! Now and then, we're under a couple feet of snow. But we freeze, for sure. We start feeding hay a month, maybe less, after irrigation water goes off in Sept., and feed hay until it comes back on in April. We don't have green grass all year. We only grain when we're finishing steers. Oh, and our 2014's were born in July and August.

Kathie also has quite small framed animals, so I think they're doing quite well.

My neighbors went to a bull sale on Tuesday.. there was NOTHING under $5000.. even yearlings.. you get to the 2 year olds and they were $7000 and up
They went home empty trailered, but with full pockets.

This is the reason I wasn't so keen on getting rid of my yearling bull.. should my main bull fail, I may not need to run out and buy an expensive animal right away. That being said, we've always bought good bulls, and have had several reserve champions from big shows, and in the end it shows in your herd for generations.
I take pride in my herd, and despite I'm not going to be chasing big names in pedigrees for the sake of resale values, I like looking at nice animals, and no, none of mine are perfect, but after spending an hour at the sale barn I sure have a smile on my face when I come home and see mine! I've had a few visitors here lately, and the also appreciate my animals, from the docility, build, and meatiness of them. Despite having quite a mix of breeds, we've had certain criteria a new bull has to meet for coloring and build, so when I go to the sale barn, I can put together decent sized lots.

I always thought the proof of a bull isn't in his kids, but his grandkids, so yes, to sell me a bull, touting his maternal traits would be the ticket. Good udders, running gear, dispositions etc are things that are going to show for years to come... especially if I'm keeping his daughters for 10-20 years

I believe the bull has a lot to do with how the calf grows. Yes the momma feeds the calf but the bull gives it good genetics to grow. I see it with our calves this year. Before we got our high bred Charolais Bulls we had a Black Angus bull that we got cheap and didn't know anything about. His calves grew well but their was just always something about them that we could never put our finger on. We made good money off his calves BUT the calves we are getting now out of our Charolais Bulls there is a HUGE difference in how they are growing. Could have a lot to do with Charolais breed vs Black Angus breed...but there is noticeable difference. I can't wait to see the difference at weaning that's for sure.

To each his own on bulls, but I tend to think an animal that is responsible for 1/2 of 30 calves is more important in selection than one that is 1/2 of one. Economics have to work out in the end, so you have to recapture whatever you spend, or maybe spend so that you won't lose, I don't know. I see it a little like buying a house. What works for one, won't be the right answer for another. And maybe you make do for now and upgrade when it makes sense.

If you can get a few home raised bulls from an investment, dollars can really start making sense.

highgrit":1o7t8br0 said:
Well all that is to high tech for me at this point 3Waycross. I buy cows that look good to me and then I sell what fails to meet my expectations. We all know just because it's supposed to be a great paring, doesn't mean the results are going to be great. And just because the cow looks good at the sale doesn't mean it's going to be good In our pastures. I only keep about 1 out of every 4 cows that I buy. But our heifers that we keep are getting better and better each year. So that's a good sign in my opinion. I'll be the first to tell you, I'd rather be lucky than good. And that I have a lot to learn. But I'm not afraid to ask for advice or help. And I do appreciate the help.

Also prefer keeping back heifers out of cows that work in our environment and system- especially when it's a low input situation. I think 1 in 4 is a harsher cull rate than ours when out sourcing heifers, but we loose enough that just can't cut it. Some are too heavy of milkers, other just not efficient enough.

Noted something interesting. The far majority of the herds are spring calvers. A small herd is fall calvers. Seems to be at least a hundred lb difference in weening weights from one group to the other with the fall calvers being higher. Higher plain of nutrition while wet in the later makes a big impact, but I suspect some of it is heat related loss of production as well.

Couldn't agree more that the net $ is what makes an operation fold or prosper. Spring calves wean regularly in the 5 weights here- making a living in a half desert on tough old love grass isn't easy. But it will still produce when stressed where other types of grass often fail miserably. It gets a bashing from extension agents and ag instructors, but when the severe drought around here caused many to sell off their herds, our operation stayed afloat with very minimal downsizing.

The fall calves were around 7 weights, some mid 7's. That may be more respectable, but it's at a much higher cost- the wet cows and calves were running on wheat pasture. Both are turning dollars at the moment, but year in and year out, the marginal land is where money's made.

Saying that, too much energy expense (milk, growth) on marginal land and they'll self cull. There's a minimum, a maximum and an optimum. Still trying to find the optimum.

I quite agree with you CF, which is why I (and inyati, Branguscowgirl) need a different type of animal.. Mine are on irrigated pastures or hay all their life. I get better weights on my spring calvers, and for cheaper because the grass is green in the summer here, while in the cold winters the milking cows *REALLY* need to eat to stay warm and milk.. the dry cows do with very little food in all but the coldest of temps.

I think the bull that is responsible for 1/4 of a 150 calves is more important than the on that is responsible for 1/2 of 30

Nesikep":3nm709qd said:
I quite agree with you CF, which is why I (and inyati, Branguscowgirl) need a different type of animal.. Mine are on irrigated pastures or hay all their life. I get better weights on my spring calvers, and for cheaper because the grass is green in the summer here, while in the cold winters the milking cows *REALLY* need to eat to stay warm and milk.. the dry cows do with very little food in all but the coldest of temps.

I think the bull that is responsible for 1/4 of a 150 calves is more important than the on that is responsible for 1/2 of 30

Good math Nesi that bull is covering 2.5 more calves.

Named'em Tamed'em":25zs6at6 said:
Nesikep":25zs6at6 said:

1/4 x 150 = 37.5
1/2 x 30 = 15
:???:

Gators Rule":3vij0azz said:
Named'em Tamed'em":3vij0azz said:
Nesikep":3vij0azz said:

1/4 x 150 = 37.5
1/2 x 30 = 15

Multiply your 15 x 2.5 and compare it to your 37.5 !

This has been a very interesting thread. I am amazed to see that anyone would say they can find a yearling bull for 1500.00. I can only see two ways that a person could find a yearling bull for that price and they are:

1. The bull is junk.
2. The person selling it doesn't have a clue as to what cattle are worth.

We sold a cull cow with a 4 month old bull calf on its side last week. The calf weighed 425 pounds and sold for 2.40 a pound. So with the cattle market being what it is why on earth would anyone hold a bull for 12 months to sell it for 1500.00?

As far as a BSE we don't use a bull without a BSE and we don't sell a bull without one. I understand that some breeders don't provide a BSE when they sell their bulls but they stand behind what they sell and I respect that. I am not saying that not providing a BSE is wrong I am just saying that we have chosen to provide a BSE for all bulls we sell. We have also had buyers call to purchase a bull and after talking to them recommend that they AI instead of purchasing a bull. Someone with just a few head of cows would be better off spending money on AI instead of the cost and upkeep of a bull, and we will tell a customer that. Bulls are an investment the more your willing to invest the more improvement you should expect in your herd. I am sure not going to judge a person on how much they are willing to spend on a bull, our job is to ask questions on what their needs are and to recommend a bull based on that information.

edit to add: It is also our responsibility to tell someone we don't have what their looking for if we don't feel we have something that can meet their needs.

gizmom

mwj":1gjpgyoa said:
Gators Rule":1gjpgyoa said:
Named'em Tamed'em":1gjpgyoa said:

1/4 x 150 = 37.5
1/2 x 30 = 15
Multiply your 15 x 2.5 and compare it to your 37.5 !

If you keep 15 of his daughters from that bull and they each have 10 calves, that's the 1/4 influence of 150, which to me is more important because it affects so many more animals.. a nasty trait is hard to weed back out, I've been doing it myself for 25 years already (OK, so it was far more than one bad trait)

Gizmom, Agree completely as well. For me it would be prohibitively expensive for me to get the vet out where I am to do a BSE.. If I sell a bull, I would gladly pay for the BSE if the customer would like it, in all likelyhood he'll be driving back home and passing by the vet anyhow.

Latest posts