yankee

Help Support CattleToday:

You will always be a Yankee to a native born Texan....in my experience (I was married to one). It's ok. You'll be fine like the rest of us :D

I lived in Texas for about 6 years. Basically anyone from North of the Red River is considered a Yankee. One time when someone mention I was a Yankee, I said hold on a minute. I may be from Missouri, but I am from south of the Red River.

I was ask how that could be. I told'em if you leave here and keep going south and circle the Globe, eventually you will get to Missouri. I was never called a Yankee again!

Carpenter I've been here 65 years and a couple of folks right here on the board remind me often taht I was not born in Texas.

That's a complicated question. It's just a term used its should not be taken as derogatory it's just a fact you wernt born here. Now I have seen Yankees actually born in South but lived most of their life up there. It has more to do with yankee attitude and reluctance acclimate to local customs and way of life. Constantly telling folks how it was done up north does not make it better.

You're a Yankee in Texas or any other southern state until everyone who was there before you is dead! :hide: :hide:

Carpenter2n":2tldw7l7 said:
mine or theirs?

Mostly yours. You'll probably always get called Yankee, but how they mean it (joking or contemptuous) will probably depend on you. Whether you're trying to fit in, as opposed to giving them the impression you have your nose in the air.

And please keep in mind that I'm speaking in generalities, having never met you or your neighbors. Your mileage may vary.

If you are a resident here, at some point you will stop being called a yankee and start being called a dam yankee. Yankees visit--dam yankees stay.

M-5":2rfl80be said:
That's a complicated question. It's just a term used its should not be taken as derogatory it's just a fact you wernt born here. Now I have seen Yankees actually born in South but lived most of their life up there. It has more to do with yankee attitude and reluctance acclimate to local customs and way of life. Constantly telling folks how it was done up north does not make it better.

Who cares? One sentence you are saying the word Yankee to refer to all of those not born there and that it's not derogatory and the other you are using it as a term to stereotype an attitude and reluctance to adopt southern way of life. How's anyone supposed to fit in down there if an exclusionary label is applied to them just because of who their daddy is or wasn't and whether they were born and raised above or below the mason Dixon line? That doesn't seem a very fair measure of a person to me. Especially one that doesn't complain and wants to fit in.

NECowboy":1582ndh3 said:
M-5":1582ndh3 said:

Who cares? One sentence you are saying the word Yankee to refer to all of those not born there and that it's not derogatory and the other you are using it as a term to stereotype an attitude and reluctance to adopt southern way of life. How's anyone supposed to fit in down there if an exclusionary label is applied to them just because of who their daddy is or wasn't and whether they were born and raised above or below the mason Dixon line? That doesn't seem a very fair measure of a person to me. Especially one that doesn't complain and wants to fit in.
people that try to fit in are accepted Even if they are a dam Yankee.

NECowboy":y356ooxz said:
M-5":y356ooxz said:

Really? Do you really take life that seriously?

Rafter S":3c8f3uys said:
NECowboy":3c8f3uys said:
M-5":3c8f3uys said:

Really? Do you really take life that seriously?

It's easier to call someone it then be called it when ur just trying to fit in.

M-5":3nvsvyfg said:
NECowboy":3nvsvyfg said:
M-5":3nvsvyfg said:

people that try to fit in are accepted Even if they are a dam Yankee.

Then make me an honorary Southerner bo! :lol:

I am sure that by "yankee attitude" he is referring to folks from up north that want to move here and "change" everything to the way they had it up there, so, we ask, why move here? And/or, he could be referring to all those folks up north that demean all of us, inbred, uneducated, bigoted, gun crazy, racist southerners....

That said, here in Texas, we usually make fun of folks from north of the red for a year or three, then, if they are good folk, we continue to tease them a bit, but in a "good" way. If they aren't good folk, or complain about being here, then we add the "dammm" prior to the "yankee".

Latest posts