Ya'll have me feeling froggy

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
So I jumped. With both feet.

Lots of work ahead. I picked up nearly 140 acres. ABout 50 of it is coastal and needs to be baled. About 30 needs serious work but should make some good (cow quality anyway) coastal next season. Right now it has a bit too much weed in it. About 10 acres are consumed with trees and water tanks/ponds. About 40 used to be planted and now it is weed and nothing else. Too late to plant with the time I have on my hands but I may put it in Sudan next spring. The rest is working pens, that are in decent shape, and roads. I may or may not run some cattle. If I do I will have to do some serious fence repair. Right now I am thinking hay for next year and one cutting left this year. I could run some cattle on the 30 acres with weed and coastal if I can fence them out of the good coastal field.

Gonna start with 250 lbs per acre on the good coastal and weak coastal fields. If we get good rains next year, I'll hit it again. I would go with 300 lbs from the get go but mother nature has been teaching me some lessons. Fertilizer runs into alot of nickels.

This is a big jump for me. The whole place is sandy loam. I'll get the hoe out there pretty quick and pull the juvenile mesquites out. Then I will work on the bigger ones. I'll get the caterpillar out there and clean some and repair terraces.

I probably can't be considered a hobbyist after next summer. Oh well. It was fun playing while it lasted. Now it is serious work ahead.

Congratulations on your new investment sounds like a good deal. A diamond in the rough so to speak. To me, there is nothing more satisfying than taking a piece of land and improving it.

Sounds like Heaven to me...good luck..remember,controled burn is your friend :D

Hey Boogie, how about some getting started, stg.1, stg.2, etc, & finished pictures of this project? I know I'd enjoy seeing the transformation in progress. Maybe it will modivate me into doing a little more work around my Place :oops:

Good luck,
;-)

It's great to hear someone getting land for the purpose of Agriculture.In my area all land is getting destoryed for development of new homes and the like. Where do they think the cattle should go? I haven't looked real hard to find land but in Hempstead area and the closer you get to Houston it is high as the sky.
God bless you and your future plans.

IF you can close off that forty and IF you have water in there Spray it with Grazon and wait a couple of weeks and plow it under and plant it in oats. IF you get the rain when it's up about 6" go buy yourself about 10-12 stockers and throw them in there till spring. Don't know that you'd make much on the deal (You'd make some if you got the rain) but you'd be getting some use out of the land and improving the pasture at the same time.Z

Latest posts