Wye vs. Ohlde

Help Support CattleToday:

I could be wrong but my guess is that Wye does more line breeding, I have hunch that the fertility might be better, but that's just a hunch.

Both are linebred herds/programs and each has its individual plus's and minus's... Wye is a much older linebred program.... If you get a chance- read the book " The Breed of Noble Bloods"
http://wyeangus.umd.edu/Book%20Sale.cfm - which is a history of the Wye breed... If you go back thru the pedigrees of many current breeding programs (especially those of the more maternal, lower input cattle) including Ohlde, Shoshone, Diamond D, Pharo, Cole Creek, etc. etc. you will find a major input from the Wye herd somewhere...

Oldtimer":19tmcmjd said:
Both are linebred herds/programs and each has its individual plus's and minus's... Wye is a much older linebred program.... If you get a chance- read the book " The Breed of Noble Bloods"
http://wyeangus.umd.edu/Book%20Sale.cfm - which is a history of the Wye breed... If you go back thru the pedigrees of many current breeding programs (especially those of the more maternal, lower input cattle) including Ohlde, Shoshone, Diamond D, Pharo, Cole Creek, etc. etc. you will find a major input from the Wye herd somewhere...
Old timer, I have seen your post on a few different forums and I like most of your thoughts upon cattle. Are you a seed stock producer or a commercial?

Post Oak":174gdtrk said:
Oldtimer":174gdtrk said:
Old timer, I have seen your post on a few different forums and I like most of your thoughts upon cattle. Are you a seed stock producer or a commercial?

Both... We have had cattle on the place for 100 years- and mostly commercial altho starting in the 60's I did AI some and we've peddled a few bulls for years (back then it was mostly Sim/Angus or Sim/Herefords)...But over the years of chasing the continentals- and the bigger better fasters of the angus I took off in a new direction back about 10 years ago and went to the more moderate framed, more efficient and easier keeping cattle- buying up registered cows/heifers and bulls that fit that type- and have never regretted it...

Using herdsires like Whitney Creek Bannon 730T 15800329 --- Whitney Creek Legacy 726T 15800327 -- OCC Magnitude-- and currently Lazy Bar B Juanada Rito 06X 16741353 and Lazy Bar B Bannon 2 BY 17049646 along with cows/heifers from Cole Creek, Whitney Creek, Ohlde, Wye, etc. ( herds that can survive during the bad years and thrive during good) we've put together a little herd of seedstock cattle that I'm happier with every year...

We sell a few bulls and a few heifers- mostly locally- private treaty... I'm not sure I will ever live to be totally happy with them- but I have an idea of a type I shoot for and if I don't get there- maybe my son will...

Latest posts