Would you keep this Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
She is 12 years old and is raising her 3rd set of twins on her own.
And is rebred for March calving. No grain, just grass [drought]

Don't konw why the pic turned out so bad

:oops: :oops:

P1010047-2.jpg

Nope, this one will be hard. Been a heck of a cow.

Running out of things to cull. Got to cut 20 cows.

in a word yes.she is a keeper.an she is proving it by raising 2 calves.an she is putting the lbs on those calves.an she is bred back.what more could you ask of her.

I hate to post being so new to this but I wonder if you have penciled out the numbers. How long do you think you can keep her before she goes to greener pastures so to speak. With the scenerio you gave she is in competition with a bunch of other cows that will go on the cull list. It seems to me you have singled her out because she is one of the heroes (thats why you posted), but logically you think she should go because of her age. She's a Hero and I think you should keep her. If she is in good condition and looks like she might last another couple of years I would give her a shot. Just the opinion of a drunk newbie. :D

Her age doesn't bother me and she must have proven herself judging by the fact you've kept her around for 12 years. But I'd have a hard time shipping an equal 6 yo in her place. It's a lot easier to make these type of decisions when the cow sucks.

cfpinz

mnmtranching":5yu3ji06 said:
Nope, this one will be hard. Been a heck of a cow.

Running out of things to cull. Got to cut 20 cows.

Sounds like you're to the "being picky" stage. You know where you start looking for any odd thing to cut them for. Stuff like she had a calf 4 years age that had a bad case of the scours or she kicked at you in the pen last spring or she breathes a little harder than the next cow when it gets hot. Good luck.

I would keep her before some others. What are the adjusted weaning weights, assuming you sell your calves at weaning, for all of the cows in th herd? How well do the different cows calves show muscle? Any of them calve outside of a 45 day period? What are the individula cows calving intervals?
I'm assuming you have laready gotten rid of the obvious poor performers, problem breeders, anything that has had to be treated for any illness, those that are way too large for your resources (in normal years) or are hard keepers.
Now s when the hair gets short, but it's hard to narrow down to who will stay. Looking at them as which ones will stay is an easier way of selecting those that will leave rather then looking for those that will go. Not sure of that made sense or not, hope you get the idea.

All things being equal, she eats for one cow but tends to wean 2 calves for you? ( Any sign of that udder breaking down?).

Hmmmm :lol:

Got another less serious drought on my hands here now, culling is becoming painful. Gonna check price of hay before going too far.

ALX

If it is a matter of 20 must go then i say ship her.
She has been a good mama and may continue to be, but like someone else said you have to put the pencil and paper to her. Truth is she has already lasted longer than the majority of cows in the US will. Another thing to look at is genetic improvement. Is she genetically better than some of the younger cows in the herd.
I would have a hard time holding on to a 12yr old knowing that i had to let 20 go to town. Regardless of her past production.

"Would you keep this cow?"

When culling hard I usually go by the old adage.

WHEN IN DOUBT, DON'T

I do have some doubt, that's the reason I brought this up.

Thanks Folks :roll: Your not making it easier.

Remember living near the Arctic, Wintering cows outside [got down to -60 couple years ago] Is hard on the old girls.

If this cow was down in the banana belt like some of you she would be good for a couple more years.

She was slow moving last Winter, She calved 1st March. That last couple weeks of her pregnancy she was so heavy, very difficult for her to stand. I was a lot concerned. I mean it took all she had to get up. And yes her bag is broken down.

I have a few other old cows to go 10-12 years, all been good cows, but I got to cut back.

My hay supplier is getting me a price on hay by the weekend.

Then I will reach that crossroad I been talking about. If Hay is up there $ 100 per ton as some people suggest. I'm afraid I'm going to have to take the crossroad. :cboy:

as hard as it is, a 12 year old cow can go bad at anytime and if push comes to shove younger cows will last longer and hold up better. my last 12 year old was great, 10 year old weaned a 670 lb steer, she weighed less than a thousand. calved like clock work and easy to keep.but she was getting harder to keep up and the last calf went south, and she got down on me and had to go. when they go over 10 they are more to worry about, they can last 5 years or 1 year.

Tough decisions for sure. We went through this last year when we had such a bad drought here. I guess it really has to come down to $$.. is she worth keeping for another calf crop, or are you running the risk something happening to her, and you losing the cow and the calf crop?

We ended up taking older cows, just because the older cow has a better risk of getting sick, or not breeding back, etc.

mnmtranching":a3ody5h9 said:
it took all she had to get up. And yes her bag is broken down.

Right there is your answer.

Someone's signature line says something to the effect that compassion is for dealing with decisions about your children, not your stock.

Ship her.

certherfbeef":ud4elp0s said:
mnmtranching":ud4elp0s said:
it took all she had to get up. And yes her bag is broken down.

Right there is your answer.

Someone's signature line says something to the effect that compassion is for dealing with decisions about your children, not your stock.

Ship her.

Got to agree. You answered your own question. Try to go another winter and she might not make it. Probably best for all concerned to ship her.

Thanks for all the comments, good stuff All. :D

This is what happened today at the auction.

I'm reading this right off the invoice,

The cow weighed 1330 lbs at 45 cents $598.

Brought the twins along.

Free martin heifer 510 @ 110 $561

Steer calf 520 lbs @ 116 $603

This old girl raised 13 calves in 10 years.

Not bad she raised 1,030 pounds of calf in 5 1/2 months on
grass [weeds] no grain or creep. :D

Like I said, heck of a cow, but it had to be done.

Latest posts