Would you hire yourself?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave said:
My first career falling timber. No, I am too old, fat, and lazy. My second career, working for a conservation district advising farmers. Sure. I know what I know about the rules, laws, and agronomy. But I don't want to go back to showing up at the office every morning and retirement is only paying about $100 less per month than working did. Retirement is the best gig I have ever had. Besides I like being the unhired hired man of a guy who is calving out 1,000 cows. It is a lot of fun.

You know as long as you've posted here, I some how missed your second career. I thought you were strictly logger/timber. That conservation career must have been very interesting. FSA and NRCS share a building here. I have reason to frequent both agencies. Great people in our offices.

As I have gotten older I would have to be more picky about what jobs I would hire myself for.

I'm 52, and I've said for the past while that if I ever lost my job, I'm not sure I could make it through the interview process, especially for another school system. From what I hear, It seems like interviews any more are all about the applicant putting on the best circus act and showing that he is so fired up. The last higher up person the school hired came in with his eyes bugged out in excitement and talking in a radio- voice. I don't believe the people hiring got in a word edgewise, but they marveled at his enthusiasm. It seems people are most impressed these days by someone's over-the-top personality than they are the qualifications. The last time I had an interview 26 years ago, it was a more serious atmosphere and about qualifications. I'd probably put them to sleep in an interview.

I would definitely hire myself, although I need to explain well so that I did everything right, but I try to do the job as it should.

Depends on what I'm doing. Drinking beer and fishing I'd be miserable at b/c I can't catch a fish to save my life and I'm a cheap date anymore.

In all honesty, though, it does really depend on what it is. Today's economy is getting very specialized and you need a decent paper trail to get anywhere. In what I do now, I'm dam-n good. I'm very fast, very efficient and my quality is top shelf. But I'm not sure that would translate to other arenas b/c I know this one so well. But in my current employment, yes I'd hire myself in a heartbeat. In other things, I'd give me a shot if I could qualify b/c I'm a quick learner and do a good job.

No way I would hire a lazy, opinionated old grump like me......... unless it was one of them consulting jobs were no it alls get paid to trumpet their knowledge. LOL

I'd hire myself, put me in a good environment and stand back and watch all the work get done.
But I doubt anyone else would hire me, particularly once they understand the environment I require in order to function well (space and silence basically).

Sorry your destination took an unplanned detour, Bigfoot.

Don't sell yourself short. You could be trained for most work even if you don't have the "education".

Latest posts