Would you hire yourself?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Been contemplating that thought. More than likely, I will retire the last day of June. Some truly unfortunate circumstances, are not going to allow me to actually leave the workforce as I had planned. Original plan was to enjoy the farm and cows. That's just not going to be possible. I was actually in on hiring my replacement. Please don't take this as bragging, but we actually hired two people to replace me. Like the 3 stooges, I had to tell you that, to tell you this.........Even though I was successful at "this", this requires a very small skill set, and a very specialized education. The skills to to do this, don't really lend themselves to anything else. Every new career I think of getting in to, I have to remind myself, 'You don't know anything about that, or you can't physically do that. Not frustrated at all, and not worried about my financial future. I will say it's kind of humbling to ask yourself "what can you do?" I'm too old for most things, not physically fit enough for others, uneducated about some. At the end of the day, I don't believe I would hire myself for most jobs. Would you hire yourself?

Heck yes id hire myself. Everyone else just lets me down.

You know that saying. When I die I want my employees to lower me into the ground so they can let me down one last time.

We have a local farm store here where retired farmers often post their number looking for some part time work to keep them busy. We are building a house and they are the first calls I make for my little jobs. I have met some great friends and got some fantastic farming advice with this.

You are more valuable than you think. You may feel too old but don't forget your experiences are priceless to a newbie like me.

Think about it...
Anyone that has retired from a 'real" job and has gone into raising cattle or farming or any other business in which they are self employed has already "hired themselves".

greybeard said:
Think about it...
Anyone that has retired from a 'real" job and has gone into raising cattle or farming or any other business in which they are self employed has already "hired themselves".

Dang straight! I thought I had a "real" job in my previous Corporate life. I loved it but it was just a job. This has become my passion - and it's the hardest work I've ever done but worth it. Even with the pay cut ;-)

Probably not, but then I usually get a serious job offer out of the blue at least once a year, so I guess I can't be that bad.

Yea I wouldn't hire me... I'm going to work harder for myself than I ever would at a job. I found most jobs taught me how to properly manage wasting time or making a job seem it took 10 times longer. Basically not to work yourself out of a job.
Not only education, they want work history, and experience... than most job don't want pay anything. No days they want college degrees for every job. I applied for a UPS mailbox like store but it was private owned shipping store by a local....they wanted a 4 year college degree and paid $7 something an hour. Funny part is I was a store manager at another one across town for 3-4 years.
Just look at is as an adventure and keep an open mind. Never know what you may like or even who may hirer you if you don't apply. Don't cut yourself short cause you think they won't hirer you. Unless it gets to you living in a van down by the river.... unless that's what you want do. I'm not knocking it. 🙌🏾 You get tried of one area drive on to the next. Seriously wouldn't be to bad. Don't think cows will fix. ;)

If I were to apply for my current job today ( been here 36 years) they would say I'm not qualified and I wouldn't even get an interview.
I'm not worth what it would cost someone else to hire me.

Been self employed for 35 years this month, wish I could have cloned myself!!

Maybe I would have not beat my body up so much, but I irritate myself and can't imagine working with 3 more of me. :lol:

Nope! I couldn't afford me, so I just keep spending my retirement and working for free. Plus I can be a REAL pain in the azz.

When I was at my last job they had to hire a couple guys to replace me, but that's not surprising, I was working 70 hours a week! 3 skilled people left before me, I took on the duties of two of them, but when I left the had to get two of them back

I know there are some jobs I wouldn't hire myself for, and others I would
Do not hire me for repetitive work, exacting tolerances, etc
Hire me if everything else has failed and I'll make it work again. Jack of all trades, master of none kinda is what I am.

My first career falling timber. No, I am too old, fat, and lazy. My second career, working for a conservation district advising farmers. Sure. I know what I know about the rules, laws, and agronomy. But I don't want to go back to showing up at the office every morning and retirement is only paying about $100 less per month than working did. Retirement is the best gig I have ever had. Besides I like being the unhired hired man of a guy who is calving out 1,000 cows. It is a lot of fun.

Latest posts