Would like some advice to give advice to son

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you think he should accept the offer?

• No

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Yes but with another branch of service

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
I voted no because of current government and history of people i know. Military can lose anything and everythink. Nephew is missing 11 years of records, so he was never injured.those dd5s if that is what they are called are near impossible to replace if they burn up in your house fire. I wasn't in military but many family members were. The only memories they want are the friends they made. I had many coworkers over years who were in with the college promise. Trying to get promises were so hard most just gave it up. I would just hate to see him lose his opportunity while young if the military gets it all messed up.

I voted Yes but with another branch of the service.

I think that everyone's opinion is valid from their prospective and experience. You asked for them, but ultimately it is his decision. If he is as intelligent as you say (and I have no reason to believe otherwise, he will lay out the facts, get good advice from you and others and then he will make the correct decision for himself.

Jogee, the bottom line is where would he be happiest? If he's the brilliant mind you say he is then the question is will he be able to exercise that brilliance more in the military or more in the private sector. Sure, the military job might be a nice skate, but will he be happy? The private sector may not be a sure thing but, will he have a better chance of exercising those traits that he values? What environments has he been happiest in the past? I wish him the best!

iowa hawkeyes":3twe21xt said:
Just make sure the military puts everything in writing so they don't change their mind halfway through the deal.
I agree, I really don't trust the government, and I voted no I really would not want any part of this kind of deal myself.

I have not voted yet but I will. I would make the decision as if money did not matter, in 16 years the amount of money we're talking about today will look small, so I wouldn't make that kind of decision based on money ( unless of course there was no other way ). If after the money part of the equation has been removed he still finds the military option appealing then I would think that would be a good plan, if not then I wouldn't do it.

As has been mentioned get everything in writing and examine carefully the consequences if for some reason he does not fulfill his part of the contract. I don't mean that in a negative way, but life happens and being tied to a deal for that long could get difficult.

Larry

Jo....been thinking about your question off and on since you posted. Either way has it's good points and it's bad.... I found this quote several years ago while I was seeking answers. It helped me see the path the Good Lord was trying to show me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us."
― Joseph Campbell

Since your son didn't know about the college fund, maybe he needs a little more time to meditate on that too.

I don't feel right about coming out for one way or the other, but do feel that which ever way y'all choose, you will be able to live with and be proud of the choice.

Jo I must tell you what has happened to a friends son, recently.
He joined the National Guard. Went through boot camp and started school.
They just got notified that all tuition has been frozen.
So here is this young man who had thought he was getting an education with the help of joining the military and now faces not graduating.
his parents cannot help him.

So before your son goes with the army he better find out about this freeze and remember the recruiter will say just about anything.

I ain't voting. But I can say without doubt this is one of those once in a lifetime decisions that should involve alot of prayer. When a person ask "what's best", they should include eternity in the time frame. My thoughts only, and my best to you and #2 :tiphat:

Vett, there is no rush on making a decision and like I said I just to collect as many thoughts and opinions as possible and some great points have been made and they are truly appreciated. In the end, its going to be his decision and hopefully all these points will be considered when he makes his decision and hopefully it will be the right one. Either way, I'll be proud of him. And yes, as pointed out, I hope he makes this decision with his head bowed and his heart and ears open for that quiet voice that gives the best advice cause its the owner of this voice that gave him these gifts.

Don't you have another son who is active military? What is his council?
the military will not stiffle a brilliant mind in medicine....He would probably advance rapidly....
to be able to retire from that at 41 and then do what he wanted .....I have started over twice since 41....and I did not have a retirement to fall back on....
people in the military get cancer as well as the rest of us. so it would not be all battle damage....Walter Reed used to be a pretty prestigeous hospital....The Army Hospital in Germany is world famous.
being a doctor in the military is only tangentially military unless it is MASH type stuff and I don't think that would be him....

NO. government to unstable can not depend on them. they will lie to you and change there mind and there is nothing you can do. example my boy joined the guard between his jr. and senior year. went to boot camp and goes to training once a month. will graduate in May. they told them at the first of March they were going to eliminate for budget cuts.

I appreciate all the input. Lots of good advice. Lots of stuff to consider. I'm glad its his decision and not mine to make. I believe his ultimate goal is to work in cancer research. If this is what his needle is truly stuck on then I could see where the military might delay this pursuit because they may tell him to study feet or something like that. But there is a lot to be said for being debt freee and being able to retire early.

Jo,
I voted YES.. my mom retired from the Army and there is alot of things the army can do and show you vs private sector. I have lived and been to many places thanks to the military. If you are a officer in the Army its alot different than being an NCO. The bottom line is you said hes smart and makes good decisions so I would support him either way he went. Jo my mother retired from the military after 27 years of service if you have questions that seem to be shady from a recruiter pm me and I will ask my mother if you want... :2cents:

skyhightree1":lmwa9wt8 said:
Jo,
I voted YES.. my mom retired from the Army and there is alot of things the army can do and show you vs private sector. I have lived and been to many places thanks to the military. If you are a officer in the Army its alot different than being an NCO. The bottom line is you said hes smart and makes good decisions so I would support him either way he went. Jo my mother retired from the military after 27 years of service if you have questions that seem to be shady from a recruiter pm me and I will ask my mother if you want... :2cents:

INDEED....going in as a captain is on the cusp of real military authourity....one or two promotions and he would be a very important person....to retire as a colonel at 41 and then go into private practice in the field of his choice or research ....I can not see how the military would be limiting unless he succums to the military mindset. This would be uncommon in an intelligent doctor.

I don't feel qualified to vote on this. However I will accept all advice from a successful parent such as yourself. Congratulations to you and your son. We need Families like yours more than ever. :tiphat:

I have 2 cousins that went the military route to pay for school. One wanted to be a plane mechanic. They promised him school and everything else. Told him he had to put in his time before school. After his time told him thats what the GI bill is for payed for nothing. This was the navy. The second wanted to be a doctor. Army promised her the world. told her it would be a balance of school and serving. All her residency could be covered through military and everything else. Talked her into a 8 year contract and the only thing she got was a 2 year nursing degree. Told her the army only trains for what they need and they need nurses way more than doctors. these were 15 and 10 years ago respectively so things could have changed, But I would for sure get every detail in writing before signing a single paper.

I have known several people who were promised things that didn't happen. My brother wanted to be a pilot. They made him a navigator. Seems that they didn't need pilots at that time.
If your wants to be a general practitioner or a trama surgeon I would say to go for it. He will get lots of practice in those fields and his education paid for. If in his heart he wants to do cancer research I would stay in the private section.
If he does decide to go to the military get in writing, signed in blood by the joint chiefs.

From 4 yrs of reading your posts, Jo, you have some military service in the family, so I think he would be happy there. So he'll be happy with military customs and such and that's good. Sounds like a chance to be a very well off young man and a very big cog in life. I say go for it.

Latest posts