Would COWS do this???

Help Support CattleToday:

Ruark

Reaction score
I have 4 miniature herefords (about 500 lbs) on my place. About a week ago, I replaced several "Keep Out" signs that were old and brittle and had been damaged in some high winds. Today I noticed that some of them had corners torn off. They're still new and pliable, and not that easy to damage. You have to bend the corner almost completely around 180 degrees for it to break off. Could my cows be doing this? I can't imagine what else it could be. I did find one sign that had a crease in it, where it looked like it had been bent way back, but not broken off.

FWIW, the broken-off pieces are on the ground right under the signs.

Here are some pics:
sign3_zpse9b528a0.jpg

sign2_zpsc411390e.jpg

sign1_zps37a0e236.jpg

Ruark":ku9znjp2 said:
Cripes. Guess I'll have to get metal signs, then......

Yep, you've got to start thinking (or not thinking) like a cow.

They are essentially prisoners, with little to do. So they scan the surroundings and spot an odd looking thing hanging on the fence, and they just have to check it out and see what it tastes like......

Anything that looks different drives them nuts. I made the mistake of trying to put up fence with the cows around last spring and kept having to chase them off as they messed with my tools, until I finally gave up and moved them to another pen.

Another thing that's notable is that being the dumbest creatures in the universe (I think of cows as "giant amoebas with hair"), they didn't figure out that if one sign was unpalatable, the others would be, too. Noooooo, they had to take a bit out of EACH one, just to be sure...

Latest posts