Worth it

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
I have shot three hogs in two hunts everyone of them broke the arrow off.
That's roughly ten bucks a hog for arrow and broadhead.
This is getting expensive for hog eradication.
Can't shoot another one this morning I am down to one arrow, got to save that one for deer.

Caustic Burno said:
Can't shoot another one this morning I am down to one arrow, got to save that one for deer.
looks like you hit that one just right. you got a photo of the bow your using?

ccr said:
Caustic Burno said:
looks like you hit that one just right. you got a photo of the bow your using?

I have to use a geriatric one now.

jltrent said:
Although $10 a shot, the damage the hogs can do that might be cheap.

Got an interesting call earlier from a USDA trapper. Wanted to know if he could trap hogs on my place. They want hogs from a half dozen locations in the county to run test on.

bird dog said:
What are they testing for?

He just told me they wanted to test the hogs in my county for diseases. Said our county hasn't been tested.
I told him I would listen to his spill and give him an answer.
I am kinda of interested no matter what I decide, maybe someone is taking this plague seriously.

Caustic Burno said:

Need to carry a boar spear too. :nod:

The Indians took a lot of bear, buffalo, deer and wild hogs with arrows they made themselves. With modern man technology have you ever thought about making your own arrows as it would be cheaper. It would be kinda like reloading your rifle ammo as you could build them to your specs.

jltrent said:
The Indians took a lot of bear, buffalo, deer and wild hogs with arrows they made themselves. With modern man technology have you ever thought about making your own arrows as it would be cheaper. It would be kinda like reloading your rifle ammo as you could build them to your specs.

I made primitive bows and arrows for years. I will post some of my handmade bows after church tonight.

ccr said:
Caustic Burno said:

Left to right Hickory, Hickory backed with rattlesnake, Osage, Osage.
that's impressive

Thanks
I made my own arrows as well, used metal trade points made from spoons and real turkey feathers. Texas minimum broadhead width requirement make stone heads impractical . I remember my first set I missed a nice buck four times, he kept ducking the arrow. Got my hunting parter to fire a couple as I stood down range, the arrows sounded like mad bumblebees. I had fletched the arrows with full height turkey feathers, trimmed them down and silence returned.

https://gillsprimitivearchery.com/product/trade-spoon-points/

Latest posts