Worst Tractor you ever owned

Help Support CattleToday:

David Brown 990. Would not start in July if you walked by it with a cold Coke. Pretty stout once you got it started and did not use much fuel, but who ever designed the gear selector pattern must have been a drunk, dyslexic, left handed engineer.

yeah i can top that..the massey has 16 sp..the dogs chewed the knobs off all the selectors. its kinda hit and miss till y git it where ya want it..the pattern keeps fading off the top of the fender where i wrote it with marker...paintstik next i reckon..

My brother-in-law picked up a Massey Ferguson model 130 cheap at an auction once. Seemed like a solid little tractor, but the first time it broke down we became aware that is was some sort of European model that was not a "standard" ag tractor. Parts were impossible to come by. Finally ended up hauling it off to a salvage dealer and selling it off the trailer in non-running condition.

It didn't turn out to be a bargan at all...

dieselbeef":3dlkxrqj said:
the massy 1240 pos in my barn

That particular tractor was made by someone other than Massey. It had a pretty bad reputation.

I've always thought the tractors setting in front rural king looked like you'd spend more time under the hood, than on the seat.

skyhightree1":2tnmv7wp said:
Mine was a long 610 and it had injector problems as well as injector pump issues hydro problems sometimes you couldnt pick the attachment up sometimes you couldnt drop the attachments down realy POS

Had a 2610 Long once. Never had any injector problems but blowed the head gasket twice and leaked every fluid it had at one time or another. Not one gauge worked on it after about 200hrs. Pretty stout though when it was running. But a 64hp tractor with a loader at the time for 15 grand wasn't bad. Never spent the difference to own one of the 25 grand ones.

denvermartinfarms":1wuxglhm said:
skyhightree1":1wuxglhm said:
No JD or Kubota have been mentioned so i guess we know which 2 appear to be the best :hide:
Pretty much.
You ever see a guy with a new high priced "flavor of the year" new car in his driveway and always claim "It's great and I got it at a great price" but it always seems to be going in and out of the shop for repairs?
I have, and the same holds true with every other mechanical device.

I made good money working at the jap orange tractor delearship as a mechanic, but like everyone else that worked there, I quit. and for the same reason--just a never ever ever ending stream of customers bringing 'em in for something broke down on 'em. Got tired of the overtime and tired of having to lie to the customer about why they were like that. Shop managers? went thru them left and right too. Eventually, everyone gets tired of trying to lie with a straight face.
I'll never get the filth washed from my hands, tho I long ago got the appearance of it gone. There'll be no Kommodas at my house.

pen6.jpg

Well mine was a Deere !!! A 40 - 45 Hp 3 cylinder, couldn't start it when hot, needed it tied to a light pole below 30 degrees, ran so hot you couldn't stand sit on it when haying from blowing the hot air from tran, and motor, and if you could keep the clutch and rear end in it, it would burn 50 gallon of gas a day!! Was I ever happy to see that one go over the hill !!! 101

I see reading my post that I did not tell you all the model of my deere, it was a 1520, don't remember the year but was made in the early 70's I think!!! 101

My worst tractor was a 410 JD backhoe. From day one was a blown O ring or hose clutch or broke frame. No power unless fuel was wide open. The older case backhoe breaks were something to be desired. My worst farm tractor was 4950 kubota. Had it 3000 hour over hauled it three times and lost transmission. Sold it at a auction went north.

hillrancher":3pmkhbg9 said:
My worst tractor was a 410 JD backhoe. From day one was a blown O ring or hose clutch or broke frame. No power unless fuel was wide open. The older case backhoe breaks were something to be desired. My worst farm tractor was 4950 kubota. Had it 3000 hour over hauled it three times and lost transmission. Sold it at a auction went north.
What age of a 410 was that?

greybeard":3ekx6dyz said:
denvermartinfarms":3ekx6dyz said:
skyhightree1":3ekx6dyz said:
No JD or Kubota have been mentioned so i guess we know which 2 appear to be the best :hide:
Pretty much.
You ever see a guy with a new high priced "flavor of the year" new car in his driveway and always claim "It's great and I got it at a great price" but it always seems to be going in and out of the shop for repairs?
I have, and the same holds true with every other mechanical device.

I made good money working at the jap orange tractor delearship as a mechanic, but like everyone else that worked there, I quit. and for the same reason--just a never ever ever ending stream of customers bringing 'em in for something broke down on 'em. Got tired of the overtime and tired of having to lie to the customer about why they were like that. Shop managers? went thru them left and right too. Eventually, everyone gets tired of trying to lie with a straight face.
I'll never get the filth washed from my hands, tho I long ago got the appearance of it gone. There'll be no Kommodas at my house.

pen6.jpg
I understand your feelings But all color tractors dealerships have service departments, same goes for autos/trucks too and never saw a empty one.

Yep, but not all have a history of tryin to do us in. Do some research on Kubota Iron Works and their contribution to Japan's military in WW2.
I have driven 2 foreign brand cars in my life, each less than 5 miles, and owned neither--was just trying to do the owners a favor to find out what was wrong with them. Damned if I will ever send any $ to a country that caused this country and my own family so much pain, much less do so then complain about the deficit and job losses in contemporary times. Germany has Hitler's revenge with the VW. Hirohito has his with Kubota. Both are smiling in the graves today.

I agree with some of that gb, but I sometimes think I would rather own a Kubota made in Georgia than a John Deere made in India and other overseas locations, now I am not exactly sure witch models of each brand are made in these places and I understand that deere is a American company and Kubota is not, but this is something I have thought about.

The Japs don't care about if they are made in Georgia, or in Japan. They only make them here because 1. People will buy them just because they have USA made stamped on them, and 2. they don't have to pay to import them. Do the same thing with those yota cars.

sim.-ang.king":wdlzjxwm said:
The Japs don't care about if they are made in Georgia, or in Japan. They only make them here because 1. People will buy them just because they have USA made stamped on them, and 2. they don't have to pay to import them. Do the same thing with those yota cars.
I agree, I would never own a Toyota. But I feel the same about deere's made in India and various places.

denvermartinfarms":1asd8k9c said:
sim.-ang.king":1asd8k9c said:
I agree, I would never own a Toyota. But I feel the same about deere's made in India and various places.
True, but John Deere pays income, import, and sale taxes here. ;-)

If the whole country pulled together, and only bought " American Made", I wonder how long it would take to turn the thing around?

Bigfoot":136j72ir said:
If the whole country pulled together, and only bought " American Made", I wonder how long it would take to turn the thing around?
I wish we could do that, but so much stuff is made elsewhere it is hard to do that on everything. I look at things and try to all I can.

tom4018":26qh73hu said:
Bigfoot":26qh73hu said:
I wish we could do that, but so much stuff is made elsewhere it is hard to do that on everything. I look at things and try to all I can.
Yep me too, I buy American every chance I can, but sometimes it ain't possible.

Latest posts