worst months for cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

VAStocker

Reaction score
What months of the year do you find are the hardest on cattle? I have often thought summer or winter because of the extrem temp. but I'm begining to think the fall and early spring months maybe even harder due to the constant changing in temps. 45 at night and 80 during the day. It tends to bring out more runny noses and coughs than being cold all the time or hot all the time.

For me it depends; for the feeder cattle I don't really like December because it's dark so much they don't seem to eat as often, January because of the cold, they don't gain quite as well. And also the hot & humid stretches in July and August they seem to back off the feed quite a bit.

For cows and smaller calves, I would agree with March and April due to the constant temperature changes and the wet snow/rain.

Around here(NC) - I would want to skip

Feb and March--long cold wet rain spells. Which depress me as much as the cattle the mud just wears me out :)
We almost always have our "train wrecks" in those months- rarely any other months.

And July Aug-- too hot to get weight gains. And if they do get sick we loose a a higher % cause their lungs can't handle it AND the heat and humidity.

Year in and year out those 4 months make less money.

The worst time here is September - December. The weather is so up and down that we have problems with pnemonia. Not unusual to have a 20 degree C difference between night and day. Plus add in dry/dusty conditions or rain and you see some major problems at weaning time.

VAStocker":1z9l542r said:
What months of the year do you find are the hardest on cattle? I have often thought summer or winter because of the extrem temp. but I'm begining to think the fall and early spring months maybe even harder due to the constant changing in temps. 45 at night and 80 during the day. It tends to bring out more runny noses and coughs than being cold all the time or hot all the time.

In my area this time of year and early spring are the worst due to the extreme temperature fluctuations. I am currently fighting pneumonia/respiratory problems in the weaning calves - roughly 10 cases since last Saturday, and 3 cases in salebarn purchased bottle calves.

March and October, in a normal year, due to temperature fluctuations. August, in a drought year, due to dust and heat.

Latest posts