Worming & Vaccinations

Help Support CattleToday:

fcnubian

Reaction score
Well Im definately new to owning cows. I have a calf and thats it. Im use to dealing with horses and goats and I worm and vaccinate them.

Do cows have to be vaccinated? I have seen wormers for them so Im guessing they need wormed to.

Any info on the worming/vaccination would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In advance.

hi good question. a herd health program is something that is real important. Your vet can help you with this and will do it willingly. One of the biggest things is to develope a good relationship with your vet so that in time of emergency the vet is more willing to help you. so find a good vet.

Next, Canada and the US have some different things they vaccinate for Bangs and Ber...something

Here in canada we do

Pre breeding
Cows/calves,bulls
Pre weaning the calves
At preg checking we do scours for 1st timers
3 weeks prior to calving we booster the scours for all cows

the vaccination program we use is the Pfizer Gold program but there are others out there.

The vaccines cover IBR, BVD type I and II, and several other things,
RR

These are the most popular things to vaccinate for.

IBR, PI3, BVD, BRSV, Blackleg, Pinkeye, and Worms

Cattle Vaccines and Terms

IBR - Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis (Red Nose)
PI-3 - ParaInfluenza (Pnuemonia)
BRSV - Bovine Respriatory Syncytial Virus
BVD - Bovine Viral Diarrhea

There are Vaccinations that you can use that vaccinate for more than one thing. So that there will save you some money. Check out this site. Click Here. This is an awesome site.

Mongoose, the most popular vaccinations tend to vary from region to region and state to state. For my region you forgot Bangs(Brucellosis), Lepto, Vibrio, and possibly Scourguard - to name a few.

I would say go talk to your vet. Sooner or later you will run into problems you will need a vet for, why not start now? He will have a system he uses and it will probably fit your area.

Latest posts