World Cup

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
I think I may have witnessed the highest scoring soccer game in history.
France 3
Honduras 0
According to the announcer...
the last time Honduras scored a goal in World Cup play was in a 1982 1-1 tie game.

Mexico 1
Camaroon 0
Viva Mexico...way to crush 'em

Brazil 0
Mexico 0

Croatia is up next for Mexico...should be a barn burner, each team has already scored 1 goal this year. [yawn]

I just don't understand a sport where when you go on a fast break you have to wait for the other team to catch up and pass you or you'll be called off sides.

Saying that, it is impressive to watch a minute or two of how far and accurate many of those guys can kick a ball.

Actually very surprised at the scores so far. A lot of lopsided wins. Also, you usually see at least 2x or 3x as many ties in pool play it seems in past World Cups. It's going to be interesting to see how it all pans out in the round of 16 with some of these underdogs possibly moving on.

Guys were hoping USA could tie Germany....lol...I told em I'll eat a soccer ball on Congress Avenue if that happens!

Commercialfarmer":38fufd43 said:
I just don't understand a sport where when you go on a fast break you have to wait for the other team to catch up and pass you or you'll be called off sides.

Saying that, it is impressive to watch a minute or two of how far and accurate many of those guys can kick a ball.
I love soccer. Played it as a kid and in college. Watch the footwork and passing of some of those guys. They are extremely talented.

World Cup is great. No effort is spared in trying to win those games. They're fighting for their lives.

Can someone explain how the refs can add more time to the game? I was all USA, USA in front of the TV when the refs said "let's play another 5 minutes" and Portugal scored to tie the game. The TV explainers were not at all clear about this.

When the game is stopped due to real or even fake injury dives. The staff runs out sprays the cure med's.
Player is carried off or limps off. The ref adds those times.

Commercialfarmer":vxz0q0ml said:
I just don't understand a sport where when you go on a fast break you have to wait for the other team to catch up and pass you or you'll be called off sides. Saying that, it is impressive to watch a minute or two of how far and accurate many of those guys can kick a ball.

Hockey?

Ya, those guys are mental athletes, I could never cover the ground the way they do, impressive. I may add, I don't want to cover the ground the way they do either.

Come on soccer is the best!!! It's the only sport that you start watching then you can spend 10 minutes reading readers digest in the bathroom, then take a shower, go make a sandwhich and have some chips and a soft drink to go with it...... and when you sit back down to watch it nothing is different! :mrgreen: :hide:

TexasBred":3lok9bea said:
Commercialfarmer":3lok9bea said:

I love soccer. Played it as a kid and in college. Watch the footwork and passing of some of those guys. They are extremely talented.

TB,
That's intresting. Soccer wasn't even in my area until the very early 90's. It seems to have quit the following now, but when I was a kid, I didn't even know what it was.

Alan":1ixg9a7y said:
Come on soccer is the best!!! It's the only sport that you start watching then you can spend 10 minutes reading readers digest in the bathroom, then take a shower, go make a sandwhich and have some chips and a soft drink to go with it...... and when you sit back down to watch it nothing is different! :mrgreen: :hide:

Come on Alan it isn't that bad. I can understand if you have something more exciting to do like watch paint dry.

alisonb":2jb0hlb2 said:
hillsdown":2jb0hlb2 said:
Go Orange !!!!!! ;-) :banana:
Good balanced team HD, perhaps a bit young?

Yes they are a relatively young team Alison , but so far are playing quite well together . We'll see on Sunday , they totally need redemption after what happened to them in 2010 . Plus I am married to an "orange" fanatic and cheering for anyone else is like going against all that is right in the world . :help:

My favorite player retired so I am not as big of a fan as I was before , just not the same without van Nistelrooy running around the field . ;-)

I quite like soccer , and if you understand the game it is actually a great sport to watch :tiphat:

I don't watch soccer. If I wanted to watch someone struggle for 90 minutes to score, I would take one of my friends to a bar.

Dave":33x5ivob said:
I don't watch soccer. If I wanted to watch someone struggle for 90 minutes to score, I would take one of my friends to a bar.

:lol: :lol: :clap:

Dave":3jrtd2w2 said:

I've heard a lot of analogy's but this is by far the best ever.

Latest posts